Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question on bontrager carbon wheel race x lite 700c schrader valve?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-20, 08:41 PM
Lastblast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a bontrager carbon wheel race x lite that I am not currently using so I was planning on selling it. my question is, right now it has a Presta tube in it but the hole looks like its large enough for a schrader valve stem. The hole doesn't look like some rookie made it larger, It looks perfect. It even matches perfectly with the stickers and if you look inside the rim the green wheel strips hole is the size of a presta valve.
my question is did someone make the hole larger or was it made that way for some sort of tubeless valve stem lock.

I wish I could post a photo of it but the requirements of this site stop me.
Old 10-23-20, 10:47 PM
Lastblast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess I can post photos now.
Old 10-23-20, 10:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
It does look damaged and I cannot imagine a carbon rim for road bikes with a Schrader valve. Maybe they might have had a rubber insert in there but it does look like damaged carbon.

Glad you posted elsewhere and are becoming a member of the forums, I truly hope you stick around and continue past just hanging out for this. We have a big problem of someone posting once and walking away or complaining about not being able to post pictures and then walking away. This place is a lot of fun and you can learn a lot of share a lot.
Old 10-24-20, 05:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
What does it's mate look like?
Old 10-24-20, 09:15 AM
Lastblast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
What does it's mate look like?
I don't, someone replaced the rear with something else.. i am not even sure if this wheel was the original. The bike is a 2008 trek madone 6.5. I replaced the wheels a year ago with some Mavic Ksyrium SR tubular wheels.
here's a image from the inside of the wheel.

Old 10-24-20, 10:48 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
I just can't imagine it leaving the factory like that.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 10-24-20, 02:08 PM
Lastblast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
I just can't imagine it leaving the factory like that.
I guess i was hoping someone else on this site had the same rim. I know bontrager does sell race x tubes that has a threaded presta valve stem for road bikes. And I wondered if that was why the hole was like this.
I just want to make sure I can be truthful to the person I sell this wheel too unlike the person that originally sold me the bike this wheel was off of. Part of it was I was naive and knew little about road bikes plus there are hardly any that come up for sale in my area. But after dumping around $700 it i am alot happier with it.
I just know as someone that sells things I try my hardest to know what I am selling and make sure the person who is buying from me understands what they are buying.
Example, recently I sold a Suzuki DRZ 400 sm that would occasionally pop out of 5th gear and that was reflective of the price (which was $2000 under what they where selling for) I told him you could ride it for miles and it may not pop out of gear but it has done it and it may happen. He understood that and was more than happy to buy it. 2 months later I saw my old bike for sale at $3000 more than he bought it from me for and it sold. So now some poor person got suckered.
Old 10-24-20, 03:57 PM
Lastblast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a full photo of the wheel.

Old 10-24-20, 06:12 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
May be someone drilled the hole larger to keep the valve stem from rattling. Instead of putting electrical tape on the valve stem. Still I would think the carbon fibers would look more jagged.
Old 10-24-20, 06:29 PM
Lastblast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
May be someone drilled the hole larger to keep the valve stem from rattling. Instead of putting electrical tape on the valve stem. Still I would think the carbon fibers would look more jagged.
I can't imagine the clicking being that loud on carbon fiber. I know the Mavic Ksyrium SR wheels that I am currently using are noisy but they are metal. At this point one has tape and the other doesn't because I never really hear them anymore.