Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Question for Portlanders

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Question for Portlanders

Old 10-02-12, 09:49 PM
  #26  
jpt1016
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
That is an awesome ride, you can either go down to Barbur (not really recommended the traffic is quite bad) or what would be best would be to go to sunset like you are going to hillsdale, then turn on something like westover (I'm not 100 percent sure) you can work your way to terwilliger that way and ride down terwilliger to school. On the way home climb the zoo hill (or take the max) then either take the marquam trail, or cruise down scholls ferry road) My best friend lives in that area and if you ride a lot around there you will get strong real quick. Also if you go to lincoln you should have a free max pass.
Thanks!

Google maps says to take Hamilton up to fairmont blvd. Then Montgomery, Market, and then 18th ave.

Is this a hilly-way to approach it? I can't seem to map out your directions on google maps.
jpt1016 is offline  
Old 10-03-12, 09:46 AM
  #27  
aidandj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpt1016 View Post
Thanks!

Google maps says to take Hamilton up to fairmont blvd. Then Montgomery, Market, and then 18th ave.

Is this a hilly-way to approach it? I can't seem to map out your directions on google maps.
That is a helluva climb, I do that climb if I'm trying to go hard on a weekend ride. When I get to a computer later I will map it out for you. The way I am talking about kind of goes around the hill, while google maps is telling you to go straight over it.
aidandj is offline  
Old 10-03-12, 11:39 AM
  #28  
aidandj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
That is a helluva climb, I do that climb if I'm trying to go hard on a weekend ride. When I get to a computer later I will map it out for you. The way I am talking about kind of goes around the hill, while google maps is telling you to go straight over it.
To school: https://goo.gl/maps/pPDi5

That is how I would do it, but you will have to play around with it some to find the best route. Over the hill is more direct route, but a lot steeper.

From school: https://goo.gl/maps/PTBNG

Those are the routes I would go, but you may find your own, I suggest starting with these and trying different routes off of these.

Riding around the west hills is awesome if you can take the hills, you will get real strong fast.
aidandj is offline  
Old 10-06-12, 05:31 PM
  #29  
LoRoK
a.k.a. QUADZILLA
 
LoRoK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,505

Bikes: Super Pista, Basso, Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
To school: https://goo.gl/maps/pPDi5

That is how I would do it, but you will have to play around with it some to find the best route. Over the hill is more direct route, but a lot steeper.

From school: https://goo.gl/maps/PTBNG

Those are the routes I would go, but you may find your own, I suggest starting with these and trying different routes off of these.

Riding around the west hills is awesome if you can take the hills, you will get real strong fast.
Now THAT is service! I kinda lolled at this post initially cuz I was all like, what hills. But then I remembered I saw a hill once on the other side of the river. Just move over to this side!
LoRoK is offline  
Old 10-06-12, 07:58 PM
  #30  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 33,870

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4958 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 381 Posts
I rode Marine Drive East yesterday. With the wind, worse than any road over the west hills.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 10-07-12, 05:13 PM
  #31  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 33,870

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4958 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 381 Posts
Also, I've always loved St. Johns. Killer art scene here. Most of the rest of Portland bugs me, that's why I moved across the river. I sometimes contemplate a move back to St. Johns or Kenton (again).


PA070091 by Lester Of Puppets, on Flickr
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 10-07-12, 08:47 PM
  #32  
aidandj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LoRoK View Post
Now THAT is service! I kinda lolled at this post initially cuz I was all like, what hills. But then I remembered I saw a hill once on the other side of the river. Just move over to this side!
But the west hills are way to fun to ride. Skyline down Germantown to St. Johns is one of the most best rides in Portland.
aidandj is offline  
Old 10-08-12, 08:39 PM
  #33  
jpt1016
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take the 55 to school currently. The bus literally goes into the bike lane several times when stopping and loading on Terwillger and pretty much every street. Do cyclists have to wait behind the bus? Or can they go into the normal car lanes when there are no cars.

Thank you very much for literally mapping out my ride!
jpt1016 is offline  
Old 10-09-12, 11:25 AM
  #34  
aidandj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpt1016 View Post
I take the 55 to school currently. The bus literally goes into the bike lane several times when stopping and loading on Terwillger and pretty much every street. Do cyclists have to wait behind the bus? Or can they go into the normal car lanes when there are no cars.

Thank you very much for literally mapping out my ride!
You have the complete right to a lane when the bike lane is obstructed. Just keep an eye out ahead and when you see a bus signal and pull out into the car lane. Make sure the bus isn't pulling out when you pass it or you can get stuck between the bus and oncoming cars (I just about killed myself doing that this summer). Remember that you have a right to the road just as much as cars, but be polite and the drivers (especially Portland drivers) will normally return the favor. Signal your turns and don't be a jack-a** on the road.
aidandj is offline  
Old 10-16-12, 11:09 AM
  #35  
PluperfectArson
沒有腳踏車的居民
 
PluperfectArson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 1,283

Bikes: Mericier Kilo TT Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's funny, lived in Portland for 11 years before I left with the Navy, and I never considered it hilly.

I commuted from Beaverton to NE almost daily and rode everywhere. You'll be fine out there if you know where to go and which streets not to take.
PluperfectArson is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
AU Tiger
Hybrid Bicycles
13
04-20-19 09:36 AM
coffeesnob
General Cycling Discussion
60
12-18-16 03:33 PM
Colorado Kid
Commuting
6
05-23-14 12:48 AM
LauzieC
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
40
01-26-11 05:40 PM
Adroitly
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
143
07-07-10 11:48 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.