Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First Pair of Glasses at 80--Not Happy.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First Pair of Glasses at 80--Not Happy.

Old 01-19-15, 06:14 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
First pair of glasses???
Beats a seeing eye dog (got to feed him!) or a white cane!
A big plus over THOSE alternatives for a cyclist!
Old 01-20-15, 11:40 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yeah, I got my first pair at 68. What a bummer, eh? I got the progressive lenses with the photochromic option and of course the anti-glare coating. $700 with the frames. I put those bifocal stick-ons (Hydrotac/Optx) in my non-prescription sunglasses so I can read my cycling instruments and auto dash. .
I never wore glasses until I hit 52/53 years old and could not see the dash instruments. I've been wearing Vuarnet Sunglasses for almost 35 years and had to stop because I can't read the dash, especially with low light. I just ordered these bifocal stick-ons.

THANK YOU!!!!! I love my Vuarnet PX5000 glasses and am hoping to use them again.
Old 01-20-15, 11:41 AM
Mvcrash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
First pair of glasses???
Beats a seeing eye dog (got to feed him!) or a white cane!
My Dad was blind. Guide Dogs are the best.....Simply the best. I do prefer glasses.
Old 01-20-15, 11:51 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
I got my first pair of glasses at age 45. My optometrist was a high school class mate. He told me I was the last survivor from the class to come to him. Sounded about right as I was the youngest in the class.
I've since moved away from that town, so I go to a different doc now.
Old 01-20-15, 11:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A Sculptor should have had a pair of safety glasses Long Ago ..
Old 01-20-15, 02:42 PM
Hangtownmatt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Optometrist told me that those who don't require glasses between 40-to-50 don't read very much.

Matt
Old 01-20-15, 03:59 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
First pair at 80, lucky you.

My first pair at 10. Bifocals early 30'3. Trifocals early 40's. Started working at a job, 1992, that required me to walk on steel 2" wide a foot+ off the ground and the trifocals with the lines were not cool so I went to Progressive. Tried for almost 2 weeks and went back to 3 line trifocals. Left that job in 2000 and decided to give Progressive another try in 2008 with newer-improved lenses and feet on the ground resulting in no issues.
Old 01-20-15, 04:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by Mvcrash
I never wore glasses until I hit 52/53 years old and could not see the dash instruments. I've been wearing Vuarnet Sunglasses for almost 35 years and had to stop because I can't read the dash, especially with low light. I just ordered these bifocal stick-ons.

THANK YOU!!!!! I love my Vuarnet PX5000 glasses and am hoping to use them again.
Another option for those who don't need much prescription is cycling glasses by Dual Eyewear. They have the bifocal built in.
Dual Eyewear Bifocal Sunglasses - Official Site
Old 01-20-15, 05:24 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I've had my glasses since young.
I couldn't imagine riding my bike without them. It is like my own personal face shield.

Most recently, I was told to get bifocals. So, now I get all the options.
  • Progressive (lineless bifocal)
  • Photo Grey
  • Safety Lenses
  • Glass Lenses (mine aren't too thick, and glass is durable, and not too heavy).
I went for the Walmart special for the last pair... came out with $500 glasses

I figured that I'm doing enough work around that the Safety Glasses are nice.

Initially I disliked the progressive lenses. It seems like one's feet (and the road in front of one's bike wheel) is always out of focus. But, I guess I'm getting used to it now. Still, for just driving, I might consider single focal lenses, and perhaps another pair for reading.
Old 01-20-15, 05:34 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My first pair was when I turned 36. I started to find that reading small print was difficult. The Optometrist stated that I probably needed glasses far sooner than 36, as I couldn't compensate for the lens shape as I could when younger. Got my first pair of transition lenses at 38 or 40.
Old 01-20-15, 06:57 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lphilpot
Yep. I'm there at (almost) 56 -progressives ... after two pointless attempts a couple of years apart, I'm doubtful: Waaaaay too much that's generally out of focus and blurry, with only a tiny little (moving) spot that's sharp.
I've been wearing 'progressives for 15 years and never had an issue, except once, briefly when the fitter got the interpupillary distance wrong. I need glasses for both reading and distance, and I have some astigmatism in one eye too. Even so, my progressives give me really sharp seeing throughout the field of view.
Old 01-21-15, 07:55 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculptor7
Recently the MVD told me I could only drive during the day unless I got glasses.
Yesterday we went and ordered some. What a lot of bother! I had no idea glasses
were so complicated. Dr. suggested bi focals so I could glance down at the dashboard
when needed. Ordered some kind of divided lenses that allow for distance, mid range and closeup.
Also to prevent glare. Dr. said only wear them when driving. Which is what I intend.
As to cycling I have gotten along fine this past season with just sunglasses so we will see.
(I should not complain; my dear grandson has had to wear them since a young boy).

Get your glasses yet? I'm betting that after the DMV told you that you needed glasses, you are pretty astounded at how clear things look. Passing a vision test for your driver's license is pretty easy. I'm 58 and have had glasses for the last 10 years after my arms got too short. They corrected a slight stigmatism that has gotten slightly worse over the years but I can still pass my DL vision test without glasses. However, I find it scary to not have them on.

J.
Old 01-21-15, 09:30 PM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Get your glasses yet? I'm betting that after the DMV told you that you needed glasses, you are pretty astounded at how clear things look. Passing a vision test for your driver's license is pretty easy. I'm 58 and have had glasses for the last 10 years after my arms got too short. They corrected a slight stigmatism that has gotten slightly worse over the years but I can still pass my DL vision test without glasses. However, I find it scary to not have them on.

J.
I would like to be able to say that I am seeing much better with the glasses but apart from a slight improvement I am not happy at all. Today was the first day I actually wore them at night and actually today I went to the DMV and had my license changed so I could drive at night. The fact is, to me things seem not as good as with them off with the exception that there is a slight, (very slight) improvement in resolution. Maybe they will just take some getting used to but after so many years without them right now they just seem like a hassle. Getting old is getting old. To add insult to injury yesterday I could legally drive during the day without glasses but now that I have them according to the DMV I have to wear them all the time when driving!

Last edited by Sculptor7; 01-21-15 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 11:13 PM
JohnJ80

I would like to be able to say that I am seeing much better with the glasses but apart from a slight improvement I am not happy at all. Today was the first day I actually wore them at night and actually today I went to the DMV and had my license changed so I could drive at night. The fact is, to me things seem not as good as with them off with the exception that there is a slight, (very slight) improvement in resolution. Maybe they will just take some getting used to but after so many years without them right now they just seem like a hassle. Getting old is getting old. To add insult to injury yesterday I could legally drive during the day without glasses but now that I have them according to the DMV I have to wear them all the time when driving!

There are two lessons that I'm learning:

1. Getting old is not for the timid.

2. Inside of every senior is an 18 year old wondering what the hell happened.

J.
Old 01-22-15, 12:43 PM
Mvcrash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Another option for those who don't need much prescription is cycling glasses by Dual Eyewear. They have the bifocal built in.
Dual Eyewear Bifocal Sunglasses - Official Site
Thanks again. The Vuarnets I wear are extremely dark. They are designed for Alpine Skiing. Thank again, I'll check out the Dual wear.
Old 01-22-15, 12:44 PM
Mvcrash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
There are two lessons that I'm learning:

1. Getting old is not for the timid.

2. Inside of every senior is an 18 year old wondering what the hell happened.

J.
So right......
Old 01-22-15, 07:52 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Been wearing since 5th grade. Normal glasses are progressive, but I find it is easier just to take them off to read. I use single vision sunglasses on the bike. Garmin is a little hard to read (map in particular) but other than that no probs. My criterion is they have to take a beating without getting scratched up (use back of gloves, jersey, whatever to clean) so I steer clear from some of the coatings.

Never got into the "temple pieces outside of helmet strap" thing. I have my glasses on then put on a helmet. Never saw the need to fiddle with the glasses.

Also have amblyopia in the right eye which isn't that good (can work at it if I have to) and my DL requires side mirrors (I don't see what possible advantage that gives me, but all cars have them these days so don't care).

scott s.

Last edited by scott967; 01-22-15 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-23-15, 11:21 PM
Hangtownmatt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To add insult to injury yesterday I could legally drive during the day without glasses but now that I have them according to the DMV I have to wear them all the time when driving!
Which, I'm sure, is a good thing. Thank You DMV! Sometimes Government pays.

Matt
Old 01-24-15, 09:13 AM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hangtownmatt
Which, I'm sure, is a good thing. Thank You DMV! Sometimes Government pays.

Matt
Maybe. But I also have good peripheral vision. The glasses interfere with that to some extent. Understand there is a limit to how much glasses can address that. Also, my understanding is that people with vision in only one eye are able to drive legally. What about depth perception?

We have a large population of elderly people here in Maine and I am sure that many of them are legally driving who should not be. So I have no argument about anything which will make for safer driving.

Tomorrow is my 80th birthday and it has been less than a week that I started wearing glasses.It will take a little more adjustment after 80 years without them.
Old 01-24-15, 12:27 PM
DW_Thomas

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
80! Wow -- I've been wearing some correction since I was in my mid-forties. What drove me to it was astigmatism -- I'd look at distant bright objects -- like the moon at night -- and see it smeared in one direction. Somewhere toward mid-fifties(?) I went to progressive bifocals (I am a bit near-sighted). At first wearing, they were pretty bizarre -- went to walk down a flight of steps at work and they looked radically curved! After weeks of wearing them, that magic computer between the ears tuned all that out, but it does take time.

Possibly this year (now 73) I may get into the cataract fix stuff, so no doubt something new to adapt to.
Old 01-25-15, 05:47 AM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I wear progressives, took me three pairs to get use to them. I would put them on and off all the time wouldn't give the brain time to adjust. Since I've now gotten a pair for work instead of safety bifocals its seems to be a lot better. Now when I get up I put them on first thing and switch to the safety pair soon as I get to work. After awhile you just have to stop fighting it and just adapt.
Old 01-25-15, 09:55 PM
JohnJ80

Maybe. But I also have good peripheral vision. The glasses interfere with that to some extent. Understand there is a limit to how much glasses can address that. Also, my understanding is that people with vision in only one eye are able to drive legally. What about depth perception?

We have a large population of elderly people here in Maine and I am sure that many of them are legally driving who should not be. So I have no argument about anything which will make for safer driving.

Tomorrow is my 80th birthday and it has been less than a week that I started wearing glasses.It will take a little more adjustment after 80 years without them.
the standard for vision to pass a DMV test is not at all high. If you need glasses to pass it you need to wear them when you drive.