Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

NBD: Giant Revolt Advanced 2 (soon to be Di2!)

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

NBD: Giant Revolt Advanced 2 (soon to be Di2!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-19, 10:54 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
A friend of mine has the Pro Force Revolt and it's about 5lbs lighter than my 2, and the frames are exactly the same through all levels, so that's just components and wheels.

I agree with Justinitus, I don't think the wheels/tires are bad, they've performed great, just heavy. I was actually going to just put a new set of Crosscuts on, because they've handled everything I've thrown at them with no problems. But I got the Panaracers cheaper on sale, and figured I'd go a lil bigger while I was at it.
I do agree they roll well, since they were the ones on the bike when I fell in love with the ride. I just didn't realize how heavy they (and the tires) were. I figured "hey it's a gravel bike designed for off-road, of course it's going to weigh well north of 20lbs". Imagine my surprise when a wheel/tire switch suddenly brought it south of 20, and while my Pro 3s are good wheels, they're squarely in "affordable carbon" territory so they're nowhere near the lightest carbon hoops one could put on a Revolt.

I'm still keeping the stock wheels/tires as backups and also when I get the urge to do some truly rough riding...I'd rather the aluminum wheels take that abuse vs. the Pro 3 or 3Vs.
Old 12-06-19, 01:39 AM
Justinitus

Bikes: Giant Revolt Adv, Surly Straggler Flat Bar, Trek Farley Fat, Brompton M6R Black Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
My stock tires on the S-X2 wheels (which I assume will weigh as much or more than your P-X2 since you have the next highest build to mine, came with Crosscut AT1 38c.

To confirm: your original weight for your wheels was for just the wheels and hubs right? No valve, no tires, no rotors, no rim tape, etc.?
From what I was advised by the LBS when buying my Toughroad, the PX-2 is stronger but very slightly heavier than the SX-2 wheel... but who knows!

I weighed mine it was just the wheel, hub and tubeless rim tape - no valves tyres or rotors.

I went with some handbuilt rims as I’m a Clyde, based on H Plus Son Hydra rims in 32 spoke. They come in at 1860g for the pair (weighed same way as above) so just 221g saving for me - but with stronger wheels.

I did consider the Hunt 4 Season wheels which come in at about 1680g for the pair, so would have been lighter - but mine were exactly the same price, better hub and stronger.

So with the new rims and tyres, mine is exactly 500g lighter than stock.

I use a luggage scale with a strap to weigh bikes (and luggage...!) works for me and just £5 from eBay.

Likes For Justinitus:
Old 12-07-19, 07:27 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Beautiful bikes Justinitus and Grasschopper!

I had hoped hoped to have my 160mm rotor and 11-34T cassette for my new Aeolus Pro 3V wheels (with 38c GravelKing SK) by today, but it looks like USPS has delayed the shipment until Monday. That took the wind out of my sails, had wanted to ride the muddy trails after today's rains. May still do that, but I'll have to put the stock boat anchors on
Old 12-13-19, 04:04 PM
Beckermann

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got some American Classic Terrain 29 wheels that came stock on my 2014 Niner Jet 9 mountain bike. I switched that bike to carbon wheels. Do you think these wheels would work on a 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced? Would they be better than the stock wheels?
Old 12-13-19, 05:49 PM
CarloM

Originally Posted by Beckermann
I've got some American Classic Terrain 29 wheels that came stock on my 2014 Niner Jet 9 mountain bike. I switched that bike to carbon wheels. Do you think these wheels would work on a 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced? Would they be better than the stock wheels?
Honestly I don't know the answer to that. I did a quick google search and there's a lot of chatter about whether 29ers are just another name for 700c or if there's a real difference between the two. The Giant Revolt officially supports 700c and 650b wheels. I just confirmed the latter with Giant customer service. The 2019 Revolt model webpage specifically said it was 650b compliant, but the 2020 webpage dropped that wording so I was worried that the 2020 models no longer supported 650b. According to the email I received just a few days ago, the 2020 Revolt models do accept 650b wheels.

So, if 29er=700c then it should work, but if they're different (which, again I can't find a definitive answer for) then maybe not.

As for whether they're better, I think most of us here agree the stock aluminum wheels and crosscut tires roll nicely and feel good...but they're just heavy. As I mentioned, I was well north of 20lbs with the stock wheels and tires, and 19.5lbs with the Pro 3s+GravelKing TLC slick 38s. Whether it matters to you if your Revolt is 21.5lbs or 19.5lbs is something that's highly individual.

I will say this, if I'm ever going into the hardcore off-road, like way more than gravel and just short of true mountain biking, I will likely roll with the stock aluminum wheels and some fatter 43mm tires set up tubeless and run at lower pressures.
Old 12-14-19, 06:00 PM
Justinitus

Bikes: Giant Revolt Adv, Surly Straggler Flat Bar, Trek Farley Fat, Brompton M6R Black Edition

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Beckermann
29er wheels are the same diameter as 700c rim wise, they’re just usually wider to accommodate wider mtb tyres. As the rim width on the Terrain is slightly wider than the stock Revolt ones, you’d be looking at running at least 40mm wide tyres I think (The Revolt can run upto 45mm wide tyres).

The Revolt hubs are thru axle - 12mmx100mm at the front and 12mmx142mm at the rear. From what I can see online, the front Terrain rim is only 9mm QR or 15mm thru axle compatible, unless yours are a different spec being an older model.

https://amclassic.com/manual-downloads

Last edited by Justinitus; 12-14-19 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-14-19, 06:25 PM
Beckermann

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks.
Old 12-14-19, 06:27 PM
CarloM

Originally Posted by Justinitus
29er wheels are the same diameter as 700c rim wise, they’re just usually wider to accommodate wider mtb tyres. As the rim width on the Terrain is slightly wider than the stock Revolt ones, you’d be looking at running at least 40mm wide tyres I think (The Revolt can run upto 45mm wide tyres).

The Revolt hubs are thru axle - 12mmx100mm at the front and 12mmx142mm at the rear. From what I can see online, the front Terrain rim is only 9mm QR or 15mm thru axle compatible, unless yours are a different spec being an older model.

https://amclassic.com/manual-downloads
Thanks for the clarification, I always wondered what the differences were between 29ers and 700c!

I can confirm that 45mm...and that’s a tire that measures a true 45mm once mounted, is about as far as you want to go on the Revolt. Mounted a friend’s 43 (which measured true to size) for a ride and there is just enough clearance on both sides of the rear chainstays to meet the ISO 4mm clearance on each side. 45 would just about touch that limit.
Old 06-10-20, 08:15 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Upgraded my Revolt some more. Went with Force 1x and a Quarq power meter. Also the Gabaruk RD cage and pullys and I have their 10-48 cassette on the way.

Old 06-12-20, 06:04 PM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Upgraded my Revolt some more. Went with Force 1x and a Quarq power meter. Also the Gabaruk RD cage and pullys and I have their 10-48 cassette on the way.

That's awesome stuff. I have force AXS on the road bike and love it. I’m tempted to go AXS wide on my Revolt but the 105/GRX I have now works so well as is.

EDIT: Just realized that you have mechanical on there. Either way, that is a sick looking bike.
Old 06-15-20, 07:33 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BluFalconActual
That's awesome stuff. I have force AXS on the road bike and love it. I’m tempted to go AXS wide on my Revolt but the 105/GRX I have now works so well as is.

EDIT: Just realized that you have mechanical on there. Either way, that is a sick looking bike.
Yeah it's an AXS crank and power meter but the rest is mechanical. I have Force AXS on my Defy Advanced Pro 1. It's kinda cool but honestly I'd be fine without it. I actually headed out the door for a 100 mile ride a couple weeks ago without the battery for my front derailleur. Luckily I live on a hill and was in the big ring so I noticed it right away or I could have been in trouble.