Old 03-13-20, 09:44 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: fewer (n-1)

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
I was really looking forward to a ride surrounded by lush green hills, October could work, and I would be more fit then.
This is California where we have a 6 month dry season beginning in about April and ending in about October. No lush green hills in October, but they're beautiful when they're golden brown too!

My wife and I have decided to keep our campground reservation at Hearst San Simeon State Park and make a weekend trip anyway. We will bring our off-topic tandem and do a short ride (30-40) miles on Sunday if anyone else wishes to join us.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 03-13-20, 10:04 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris View Post
This is California where we have a 6 month dry season beginning in about April and ending in about October. No lush green hills in October...
Certainly, I was looking forward to the green hills of April, I know they won't be green in October :-(
Old 03-13-20, 10:23 AM
crank_addict

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 241 Posts
Among those here bickering, rule out the moral differences, the recent CA law is no large gathering over 250. The organizer is simply complying, opened to a postponed date. No refund, however:

Article 21 Ė Cancelation of the Event

In the event of cancelation of the 2020 Eroica California event due to severe weather conditions, acts of God, war, terrorism, disaster, earthquake, government regulation and/or for economic/financial reasons or other or uncontrollable circumstances; the registration fee shall be applied to the 2021 Eroica California event, only, and shall be non-refundable and non-transferable.
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 03-13-20, 10:30 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2011 Pinarello FP Quatro, 1994 Specialized Allez, cheap Scattante cross bike, Mid 80's Ciocc, 1985 Masi 3V..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
Among those here bickering, rule out the moral differences, the recent CA law is no large gathering over 250. The organizer is simply complying, opened to a postponed date. No refund, however:

Article 21 Ė Cancelation of the Event

In the event of cancelation of the 2020 Eroica California event due to severe weather conditions, acts of God, war, terrorism, disaster, earthquake, government regulation and/or for economic/financial reasons or other or uncontrollable circumstances; the registration fee shall be applied to the 2021 Eroica California event, only, and shall be non-refundable and non-transferable.
That means that they will have had my (discounted) payment for almost 2 years if they cancel outright due to scheduling issues. I just hope they remember all of the grumbling about the food and organization, and remember the commitment they made to "make it right" for everyone!
Old 03-13-20, 10:46 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2011 Pinarello FP Quatro, 1994 Specialized Allez, cheap Scattante cross bike, Mid 80's Ciocc, 1985 Masi 3V..

My wife, who never begrudges me the $ I spend on bike stuff, was overheard saying to my son; 'Your dad has spent so much money on this, and he was so excited for the trip" ...so I guess a new (expensive) bike, jersey, chain rings, pedals, cable housing and bar tape, saddle, touring gear for the ride down from Monterey made an impression on her.
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 03-13-20, 10:49 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 313 Posts
I have not seen any official notification from the organizers on the postponement. While I don't doubt it, and even expected it, it would be nice to see something in writing before changing or cancelling travel arrangements. No email, nothing on the web site or Facebook. Everything I know is from this thread. It seems that, besides, spotty food provisions, and putting the event in a dusty cow pasture last year, communication is not a strong point of this orgznization either. Kind of frustrating. Cancellation probably justified, and even is expected, but communication is also essential.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 03-13-20, 10:58 AM
crank_addict

Originally Posted by Slightspeed View Post
I have not seen any official notification from the organizers on the postponement. While I don't doubt it, and even expected it, it would be nice to see something in writing before changing or cancelling travel arrangements. No email, nothing on the web site or Facebook. Everything I know is from this thread. It seems that, besides, spotty food provisions, and putting the event in a dusty cow pasture last year, communication is not a strong point of this orgznization either. Kind of frustrating. Cancellation probably justified, and even is expected, but communication is also essential.
You should've recieved an e-mail or the one used during registration. Message came this morning.
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 03-13-20, 11:24 AM
Brad L

Bikes: 1959 Fiorelli Campione del Mondo, 1969 Colnago Super, 1983 Gitane Interclub, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 2001 Colnago Dream B-Stay, 2007 Trek 1000 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12 View Post
My birthday is in October and I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate.
That's what I thought as well. My birthday is in early April. Oh well.

Last edited by Brad L; 03-13-20 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-13-20, 11:27 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1970's Windsor Profesional, Pinarello Gavia TSX,Guerciotti SL,Basso Gap, Vintage Moser SL,Concorde TSX,Concorde TVT, Mondia Super,Vitus 979.Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 58 Posts
https://mailchi.mp/7f2861409a87/nova...d?e=53a80c96a5
Nova Eroica and Eroica California are postponed

It is with great regret that we must announce the postponement of the 2020 Nova Eroica and Eroica California scheduled for April 04 and April 05 due to the high risk of the COVID-19 virus. As such, we apologize for a delayed decision but until the recent California state-wide ban on social gatherings of 250 or more people, it has been our intention to move forward.

We are working with County authorities as well as our global sponsors to determine a new date later in 2020. We will inform you as soon as it is confirmed.

All current Nova Eroica and Eroica California rider registrants will be immediately rolled over into the new date. Rider registrants who cannot attend the new to-be-announced date will have the option of rolling over into 2021 instead. As per regulations, refunds will not be issued if you are unable to attend. Please see Article 21 for a complete explanation of the policy.

Vendor registration will also be rolled over to the new date.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 03-13-20, 11:38 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66 View Post
https://mailchi.mp/7f2861409a87/nova...d?e=53a80c96a5
Nova Eroica and Eroica California are postponed

It is with great regret that we must announce the postponement of the 2020 Nova Eroica and Eroica California scheduled for April 04 and April 05 due to the high risk of the COVID-19 virus. As such, we apologize for a delayed decision but until the recent California state-wide ban on social gatherings of 250 or more people, it has been our intention to move forward.

We are working with County authorities as well as our global sponsors to determine a new date later in 2020. We will inform you as soon as it is confirmed.

All current Nova Eroica and Eroica California rider registrants will be immediately rolled over into the new date. Rider registrants who cannot attend the new to-be-announced date will have the option of rolling over into 2021 instead. As per regulations, refunds will not be issued if you are unable to attend. Please see Article 21 for a complete explanation of the policy.

Vendor registration will also be rolled over to the new date.
Thanks, Manny, I never got an email from them, and I'm also signed up for the newsletter, but didn't get this notice either. Looks pretty official. I was going to do the Solvang Century tomorrow, postponed too. With all the rain, I'm pretty OK with that. I still feel that Eroica organization's communication is lacking. Hope they do a better job on the next ride, whenever that is.Take care, all.
Old 03-13-20, 11:51 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1970's Windsor Profesional, Pinarello Gavia TSX,Guerciotti SL,Basso Gap, Vintage Moser SL,Concorde TSX,Concorde TVT, Mondia Super,Vitus 979.Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 58 Posts
Thanks, Manny, I never got an email from them, and I'm also signed up for the newsletter, but didn't get this notice either. Looks pretty official. I was going to do the Solvang Century tomorrow, postponed too. With all the rain, I'm pretty OK with that. I still feel that Eroica organization's communication is lacking. Hope they do a better job on the next ride, whenever that is.Take care, all.
I got an email from Solvang also, the ride will be rescheduled for a later date. Luckily I had a few hours left to cancel my hotel room and get a refund in time.
Old 03-13-20, 11:58 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
In lockdown Italy with 60,500,000+ pop. Say if 1,200 unfortunately perish due from it, that's approx. 0.002 percent.

One fatality is bad enough but without getting personal, we've got to realize percentages before hysterics. I'm quite surprised the many already hitting the panic button.
It's been three days since this post, and Italy just exceeded 1,200 reported COVID-19 deaths. The rate at which infections are being detected in Italy is still rising. And going by the pattern from Hubei, the lockdowns probably won't start having a visible effect on growth for around another week.

Extrapolating the rates, this means that even if Italy's lockdown measures end up being very effective, their total deaths in this initial outbreak is very likely to exceed 10,000.
Old 03-13-20, 12:33 PM
gugie 
Dilberteur at large

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 892 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked 573 Times in 322 Posts
By now everyone registered has probably received the official email. It's postponed, looking at September-October timeframe.
Old 03-13-20, 03:50 PM
mech986

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Thalia949 View Post
The challenge the organizer will have with late Sept / early October is the conflict in timing with the Gaiole event, which is typically the first week of October. I am sure they are looking at the entire calendar of events and trying to fit this one in.
Good point and for some US and international participants it would be hard to choose financially and logistically between the two.

IMO, Italy is currently much deeper into the CV problem with somewhat less medical capability overall and the long run compared to what the US will have capability-wise within 3-4 weeks.

IMO, once US manufacturers (and improving China resources) respond to increased extraction and test kit production, personal protection products, rapid medical response and hospitalization and improved public awareness and response for hygiene and social distancing, then the US can more properly respond. Italyís economy is very fragile and since it depends hugely on tourism which is taking a huge hit, Italy faces some massive hurdles to weather this event over the coming 6 months. Gaiole may also get delayed due to the uncertainty about travel in or out so participants planning is likely to be disrupted for some time.

Fall and end of year is when new vaccine testing should occur if current timelines with multiple companies are to be believed. Hereís hoping thatís true.

I was really looking forward to a ride surrounded by lush green hills, October could work, and I would be more fit then.
That is the beauty of the ride, and of course you could still ride them without the event, just a thought.

Originally Posted by mgopack42 View Post
That means that they will have had my (discounted) payment for almost 2 years if they cancel outright due to scheduling issues. I just hope they remember all of the grumbling about the food and organization, and remember the commitment they made to "make it right" for everyone!
My understanding was that they had addressed the food and organizational issues and were very anxious to show how much improvement there would be over the inaugural Cambria event. A lot of work was happening behind the scenes with many local vendors and volunteers plus the local housing, hotel/motel, eateries and restaurants, stores, and townspeople pitching in. Remember, this event was also important to Cambria, its economy, and tourism in general. So aside from our own personal perspectives about the ride and event, this Eroica postponement is a huge blow to Cambria itself in lost or delayed revenues.

Hopefully, you can attend a rescheduled event in the fall or next year if that is what has to happen. Iím confident Eroica will be better and better. Meanwhile, continued success in your training and keeping Virus free.

My wife, who never begrudges me the $ I spend on bike stuff, was overheard saying to my son; 'Your dad has spent so much money on this, and he was so excited for the trip" ...so I guess a new (expensive) bike, jersey, chain rings, pedals, cable housing and bar tape, saddle, touring gear for the ride down from Monterey made an impression on her.
Glad your wife supports your addiction, er, hobby as many of our own do and that Eroica made a positive impression on her. I think your anticipation and excitement were contagious (no pun intended). Was she also going to attend and get some fun time in as well? My wife, daughter, caretaker nurse, plus BIL/SIL all come and we make a weekís vacation of it, checking out the Centeal coast and all it has to offer. Itís a nice change from LA / Orange County.

I had just just dropped off my bike to my LBS who is giving it a full overhaul (my recent back injury has given me other priorities to address plus its tax time) and once Iím ok, I want to get back to riding when able. Then I can tackle 3 other bikes which need work.

Last edited by mech986; 03-13-20 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-13-20, 04:09 PM
mgopack42 

Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
Glad your wife supports your addiction, er, hobby as many of our own do and that Eroica made a positive impression on her. I think your anticipation and excitement were contagious (no pun intended). Was she also going to attend and get some fun time in as well?
She came along last year, and we stayed at the Palazzo, with a wacky bunch that we had never met before. I signed up for the Ayatollah Suite in the Palazzo Nuovo Cambria this year, but she was reluctant to be: A) the only non-rider, and B) the only one of the fairer persuasion. I think testosterone poisoning was a concern for her. maybe by the time we get the new schedule, we can work out the logistics, and get her on board. hopefully by the fall, we will have moved to the Paso Robles area, and then we wont even have to travel for the event! (waiting on a [maybe] job offer!).
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 03-13-20, 04:56 PM
mech986

Steve, I sympathize, it’s a little frustrating what with the flurry of events and announcements over the last 48 hrs, and the shutdowns of NBA, MLB, other sports and commercial events and gatherings.

However, IMO, we should give Kaori and her volunteer staff some slack. I’m positive they were trying to answer individual direct emails, prepare / craft the group or blast email announcements, and then the additional updates of the websites and Facebook accounts. Also, they must now manage all the registration and financial accounting to allow movement to a potential different date or a date next year - truly a fluid and unpredictable future. That means working with the Italian registration site and their staff.

Also, literally, this means re-planning the event all over again, trying to reconfirm suppliers, vendors, rest stops and locations, community commitments, etc. especially in light of impending economic difficulties that Cambria and Paso / Templeton area dependent on tourism will face. And that’s again with a potentially fluid date in the fall (subject to further postponement or outright cancellation if the virus problem is not controlled) and a TBA date in 2021.

On CR, there’s at least two members who are also event planners with 3-4 major events within the next 2 months back east and they are grappling with the same issues and their states and locales have yet to make definitive announcements about gatherings. You can guess what havoc this is having on their planning, costs, some of which has already been lost, and anxious participants’ communications.

IMO, from that perspective, a 24-36hour delay in direct individual response would not be unusual considering 1000+ Classic and 300+ Nova participants. I hope you get or got your official email soon.

I hope you and your wife are able to negotiate with the Sea Otter Inn regarding your reservations and are able to stay safe during California’s battle with Covid-19.
Old 03-13-20, 05:01 PM
mech986

Eroica California Facebook page says it was updated 6 hrs ago, YMMV.

for some reason, my links to the FB page won’t post, please check yourselves.

Last edited by mech986; 03-13-20 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-13-20, 08:11 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 24 Posts
Hopefully by the fall, we will have moved to the Paso Robles area, and then we wont even have to travel for the event!
mgopack42 You probably shouldn't have said that, Mark. Don't be surprised if you look out your front window the day before Eroica 2021 and see something like this:

Likes For Straightblock:
Old 03-13-20, 09:50 PM
mech986

She came along last year, and we stayed at the Palazzo, with a wacky bunch that we had never met before. I signed up for the Ayatollah Suite in the Palazzo Nuovo Cambria this year, but she was reluctant to be: A) the only non-rider, and B) the only one of the fairer persuasion. I think testosterone poisoning was a concern for her. maybe by the time we get the new schedule, we can work out the logistics, and get her on board. hopefully by the fall, we will have moved to the Paso Robles area, and then we wont even have to travel for the event! (waiting on a [maybe] job offer!).
ah, yes, the Palazzo, a funky place for sure. I think you wife has good instincts and the T-factor is a real concern :-) 😱

Good luck on the job offer and moving to Paso. Although this is currently a rental, the owner is a realtor and of course winery owner too so he may be able to help you find a nice place. I think he has a mirror image property just down the street. This was our Eroica Paso location just three blocks south of the Central Park, a great location.

https://www.vrbo.com/4108912ha?adult...5&noDates=true

or

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1088355...OU2K%2BQHW5mFT

Park Place rental

Last edited by mech986; 03-13-20 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-13-20, 10:16 PM
mech986

jackbombay hereís a couple of pics from last year

Santa Rosa climb

Santa Rosa climb, looking to the north

Santa Rosa summit

Santa Rosa summit looking southeast
Likes For mech986:
Old 03-14-20, 01:47 AM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
jackbombay hereís a couple of pics from last year

Santa Rosa climb

Santa Rosa climb, looking to the north

Santa Rosa summit

Santa Rosa summit looking southeast
Beautiful!

That was a lot of why I signed up for the ride, lush green costal California landscape!
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 03-14-20, 08:25 AM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 1973 Windsor Profesional,1976 Kabuki diamond formula with full Campy, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS , 1971 Stella original Campy equip. 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1972 Italvega Gran Rally ,1972 Super Mondia Special,Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 148 Posts
Seeing Bartly’s Pictures makes me want to do the longer ride! It may not be as green later in the year, but still an awesome event and nice views.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-14-20, 10:20 AM
crank_addict

Bicycling magazine- riding including group rides, other precautions:
https://www-bicycling-com.cdn.amppro...coronavirus%2F

I'm also removing bat head soup from my diet.

Last edited by crank_addict; 03-14-20 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-14-20, 11:50 AM
jackbombay

I believe that Covid19 came from people eating Pangolins, https://www.google.com/search?q=pang...Rdn6sOhhFhFAGM
Old 03-14-20, 12:52 PM
gugie 
Dilberteur at large

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 892 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked 573 Times in 322 Posts
I believe that Covid19 came from people eating Pangolins, https://www.google.com/search?q=pang...Rdn6sOhhFhFAGM
Great, bat head soup is back on the menu!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.