Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Cycling is an essential activity under SF Bay Are shelter-in place order

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 03-16-20, 02:35 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 106 Posts

The Santa Clara County, San Mateo County, and San Francisco City/County orders allow recreational cycling. They appear identical suggesting the same is true in the other three counties.

Santa Clara: https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/Dis...er-031620.aspx
San Mateo https://cmo.smcgov.org/sites/cmo.smc...20200316_0.pdf
San Francisco https://www.sfdph.org/dph/alerts/fil...r-in-Place.pdf

5. All travel, including, but not limited to, travel on foot, bicycle, scooter, motorcycle, automobile, or public transit, except Essential Travel and Essential Activities as defined below in Section 10, is prohibited.
10. Definitions and Exemptions.
a. For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence only to perform any of the following "Essential Activities." But people at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and people who are sick are urged to stay in their residence to the extent possible except as necessary to seek medical care.
iii. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-17-20 at 11:04 AM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 03-16-20, 04:11 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 201 Posts
I hope San Mateo will allow this too.
Old 03-16-20, 04:59 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 337 Posts
I read that and didn't see anywhere that cycling will be permitted. Not mentioned where they mention walking, hiking or running; three activities that rarely have need of emergency services and hospital visits. Mow, maybe riding to the grocery store would be permitted. But group rides where a touch of wheels can be an ambulance ride?

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-16-20, 05:06 PM
Troul
:D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts
what if you are shelterless or live out of a van?
Old 03-16-20, 05:08 PM
Troul
:D

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts
5. All travel, including, but not limited to, travel on foot, bicycle, scooter, motorcycle, automobile, or public transit, except Essential Travel and Essential Activities as defined below in Section 10, is prohibited. People must use public transit only for purposes of performing Essential Activities or to travel to and from work to operate Essential Businesses or maintain Essential Governmental Functions. People riding on public transit must comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in Section 10 below, to the greatest extent feasible. This Order allows travel into or out of the County to perform Essential Activities, operate Essential Businesses, or maintain Essential Governmental Functions.

Overcrowding jails might be happening..
Old 03-16-20, 05:19 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
I read that and didn't see anywhere that cycling will be permitted. Not mentioned where they mention walking, hiking or running; three activities that rarely have need of emergency services and hospital visits. Mow, maybe riding to the grocery store would be permitted. But group rides where a touch of wheels can be an ambulance ride?

Ben

a. For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence only to perform any of the following "Essential Activities." But people at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and people who are sick are urged to stay in their residence to the extent possible except as necessary to seek medical care.
iii. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running.
The text is searchable; the sections/subsections/paragraphs (e.g. iii.) are not.
Old 03-16-20, 05:25 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Schwinn Spitfire 1960, Biria Easy Boarding 8, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 47 Posts
I never thought I would need to be a lawyer to go for a ride. Should I printout a list of valid reasons? Will anybody care? Iím 68 years old and riding is very important to me since I was a kid. I live in that same town and need to get out to be healthy.

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 03-16-20 at 05:39 PM.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 03-16-20, 05:56 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Crapping in the street will still be overlooked.
Likes For Gyro:
Old 03-16-20, 06:10 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 464 Posts
(Reply moved to Politics and Restrooms Sub-Forum)

It's too bad that this one topic has taken over every single discussion, and completely sucked all of the air out of the room everywhere for the last couple weeks. We need a COVID-19-Free Zone, where no discussions of the topic are allowed, maybe the BMX or Living Car Free Forum or something.
Old 03-16-20, 07:29 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 259 Posts
It would be crazy to disallow people contagion-safe exercise.
Old 03-16-20, 07:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10883 Post(s)
Liked 2,405 Times in 1,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
(Reply moved to Politics and Restrooms Sub-Forum)

It's too bad that this one topic has taken over every single discussion, and completely sucked all of the air out of the room everywhere for the last couple weeks. We need a COVID-19-Free Zone, where no discussions of the topic are allowed, maybe the BMX or Living Car Free Forum or something.
Can I get an amen?!?!
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-17-20, 03:37 AM
son_of_clyde

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's funny how they explicitly exempt all of the bum camps from these directives.
Old 03-17-20, 06:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10883 Post(s)
Liked 2,405 Times in 1,358 Posts
Originally Posted by son_of_clyde View Post
It's funny how they explicitly exempt all of the bum camps from these directives.
Not really. Makes total sense if you give it some actual thought.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-17-20, 07:20 AM
pokecheck

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
to make it more confusing - this thread seems to have omitted the earlier part of the docs that says you cant ride:

5. All travel, including, but not limited to, travel on foot, bicycle, scooter, motorcycle, automobile, or public transit, except Essential Travel and Essential Activities as defined below in Section 10, is prohibited.
Old 03-17-20, 07:21 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "Frankentrek"/"Camel-Trek"

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 136 Posts
When the 1% get off their selfish, bloated backsides and learn to SHARE, the impoverished will disappear....

They already have enough stacked against them.... Extend sympathy from your relatively safe homes... they haven't one.
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 03-17-20, 07:24 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider View Post
I never thought I would need to be a lawyer to go for a ride. Should I printout a list of valid reasons? Will anybody care? Iím 68 years old and riding is very important to me since I was a kid. I live in that same town and need to get out to be healthy.
Are you saying that if you canít ride a bicycle recreationally for 2-4 weeks that you will be in danger?
Old 03-17-20, 07:28 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Originally Posted by pokecheck View Post
to make it more confusing - this thread seems to have omitted the earlier part of the docs that says you cant ride:

Note the exceptions in Section 10.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 03-17-20, 07:38 AM
jgg3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster View Post
Are you saying that if you canít ride a bicycle recreationally for 2-4 weeks that you will be in danger?
Why should walking, running, and hiking be ok, but biking is not? Biking to the grocery store is ok (or Home Depot for that matter), but cycling around the same route my wife walks is not? These edicts don't have much rationale behind them. The likelihood of needing an ambulance is just as high if you are going to the grocery store as not, maybe higher. The rules should be about social distance if that is what they are concerned about.
Likes For jgg3:
Old 03-17-20, 07:44 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3563 Post(s)
Liked 2,259 Times in 1,302 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post

Lawyer here--but the examples of the "outdoor activities" allowed without limitation do not include bicycling, and it appears that that exclusion might have been intentional (travel by bike is specifically mentioned in Section 5, but not 10 III, that doesn't look like an accident). Since the list in iii is "by example", it is not exclusive, which makes it at least ambiguous as to whether recreational bicycling is included.

Reading the way you have, the implication seems to be that riding a bike with any purpose (travel) is prohibited, but just riding around for its own sake is "essential". That''s a very weird interpretation.

Obviously, this was a rush job drafting, so it's not clear to me that this was hashed out.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-17-20, 09:12 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by jgg3 View Post
Why should walking, running, and hiking be ok, but biking is not? Biking to the grocery store is ok (or Home Depot for that matter), but cycling around the same route my wife walks is not? These edicts don't have much rationale behind them. The likelihood of needing an ambulance is just as high if you are going to the grocery store as not, maybe higher. The rules should be about social distance if that is what they are concerned about.
I agreed, initially. But Spain makes a good point. I don't know how many people on average go to the hospital because they bike. I went 6 months ago because of a velodrome race crash, and they had never seen anything like me. Being in peak race form made my hospitalization 6 months ago short. But here is what Spain says:

“Stay at home and put the bike aside,” said Carlos Mascias, medical director of a private hospital in Madrid. “Whatever possibility to minimize the impact on the resources of medical services that is not directed toward coronavirus is primordial.

“If any cyclist suffers an incident and needs an ambulance or a bed in intensive care, we are taking it away from people who truly need it, who are now arriving en masse to hospitals,” he continued. “If something happens to you now, maybe you have a chance [to be treated], but you will be taking it away from someone else … but in 48 hours, if something happens to you, the one who is left without [ICU] might be you, those who are now riding your bikes.”
Food for thought for us all. Be safe out there...

Reference: https://cycling.today/italy-and-spain...ym0hoRNGFqAA3w

Last edited by chas58; 03-17-20 at 09:15 AM.
Likes For chas58:
Old 03-17-20, 09:47 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by pokecheck View Post

Yeah, I'm just not sure how to travel by foot without walking, running, or hiking. Maybe travel by hopscotch is prohibited?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-17-20, 10:01 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3563 Post(s)
Liked 2,259 Times in 1,302 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
Yeah, I'm just not sure how to travel by foot without walking, running, or hiking. Maybe travel by hopscotch is prohibited?

It's basically a "stay at home" order, so the answer is you aren't.

For ease of interpretation, here's the full list of exceptions. Basically, you can engage in any form of transport to carry out the purposive ones, but section iii is a bit ambiguous:

a. For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence only to perform any of the following ďEssential Activities.Ē But people at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and people who are sick are urged to stay in their residence to the extent possible except as necessary to seek medical care.

i. To engage in activities or perform tasks essential to their health and safety, or to the health and safety of their family or household members (including, but not limited to, pets), such as, by way of example only and without limitation, obtaining medical supplies or medication, visiting a health care professional, or obtaining supplies they need to work from home.

ii. To obtain necessary services or supplies for themselves and their family or household members, or to deliver those services or supplies to others, such as, by way of example only and without limitation, canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, pet supply, fresh meats, fish, and poultry, and any other household consumer products, and products necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences.

iv. To perform work providing essential products and services at an Essential Business or to otherwise carry out activities specifically permitted in this Order, including Minimum Basic Operations.

v.. To care for a family member or pet in another household.
Old 03-17-20, 10:14 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by jgg3 View Post
Bicycling is seen as a mode of transportation capable of taking a person between communities. Walking is generally within a community. Hiking is a gray area; you might drive to a trailhead and then hike, or you might hike local hills within your own community if you live near them.

The thing about bicycling, and the reason, I presume, that it is disallowed in areas where they have disallowed it, is that a person could hop on their bike in a safe community, ride to an infected community, visit someone who is sick, or visit a store in a hot-spot area, and then bring it back home with them to their safe community. It's the same reason travelling has been greatly restricted; not so that an individual avoids getting infected, but so that an individual avoids infecting a community that had previously been in the clear.

I am 100% certain that if you go do your 25 mile loop each day you stand no chance of spreading infection. And if that's your routine, it's unfortunate that the edict has restricted that safe activity. But the harm comes if someone uses their bike to get to and from a destination and transmits disease either from an infected community to a clean one, or vice versa. It's the stops along the way and at the destination that have the potential to cause harm. And this is probably the reason restrictions have been implemented. In the rush to implement well-intentioned restrictions, safe activities are being caught in the dragnet. This is an imprecise yet calculated response. Imprecise because it affects people doing things that are probably safe. Calculated because it's been decided that catching some safe activities is a worthwhile tradeoff in order to catch many unsafe ones at a time where the risk on the one side is you miss a month of training, and the risk on the other side is a community gets infected and some people die.

Last edited by daoswald; 03-17-20 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-17-20, 10:17 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
Crapping in the street will still be overlooked.
I believe that is considered "essential activity"
Old 03-17-20, 10:27 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 950 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
I've been spending a lot of time looking, and asked my attorney for his opinion (I haven't heard back). The problem is that it genuinely is ambiguous.

<snip>
I would like to think (like you) that recreational cycling would be included, but since earlier in the document it explicitly excludes bicycles, I would have been more comfortable with them being explicitly included. Also, is driving to the mountain bike trail exempt?

Last edited by wgscott; 03-17-20 at 10:31 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.