Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else halting, or thinking of halting their C&V spending?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Is anyone else halting, or thinking of halting their C&V spending?

Old 03-18-20, 04:45 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2011 Pinarello FP Quatro, 1994 Specialized Allez, cheap Scattante cross bike, Mid 80's Ciocc, 1985 Masi 3V..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 73 Posts
I am working steady ( essential industry) and so is my wife (also essential), so if the congress wants to give each adult $2000 as stimulus, I might have to buy a present for myself, after I recycle the $ to pay the income taxes I owe.
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 03-18-20, 04:52 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 105 Posts
I'll buy if I need anything, but I am tight on space and reaching the age for downsizing, rather than any form of upsizing.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-18-20, 06:07 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
After mourning the shut-down of my $60 frame and fork powdercoat guy several years back I've found a new to me shop that'
ll do a 'pedal bike' frame and fork for $50! There's a backlog of framesets waiting, Velocals has the graphics, and all other build parts are on hand. For a minimal investment is cosmetics I'll stay busy and focused on other than the current biohazard issues.
My skill set will keep me employed even if the current job/s fall through.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 03-18-20, 06:21 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (in USA)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Am I the only one who really doesn't spend that much money on bike stuff?

Honestly, if I don't count the money I spent moving back to the USA from Europe this summer, I'm net positive on the trailing 12 months. I sold my city bike before I left, and bought a floor pump and some lube and grease when I got back here.
Really, I doubt I average more than $200 per year in net spending on bike stuff, and I don't sell much.

In the past couple weeks, I did just buy myself a nice pair of USA made jeans and a set of stainless steel metric allen wrenches from Germany. I don't spend myself into debt, but I do like nice things.
Likes For DiegoFrogs:
Old 03-18-20, 06:39 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, Faggin Matrix thingy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 98 Posts
Small necessary parts only. I overspent to begin with. I needed to get a grip. Only building what I have for my two boys riders (they have suddenly become interested), and Vanni Losa Cassani frame will get paint and designs, and a nice potpourri of parts. Then, whatever is left will be plopped on here.
Old 03-18-20, 06:49 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 267 Posts
With a son starting college in the fall, I have cut back. I don't think the virus situation will have much impact over all on my business. The tariffs, though are a totally different story. Counting the initial steel tariff that started in 2017, my industry has had about 60% worth of tariffs levied against it and a 50% anti dumping suit. The industry as a whole, ate most of them. When the latest 25% went into effect on Feb 8th, the industry couldn't eat anymore. So starting in March, most of that is getting passed on directly to the consumers. For the gap between the foreign products and the domestic products to close, there will have to be 2-3 more tariff hikes. I don't know if the market will bear it. Combine that with the push that will come after the virus fiasco for everything to be made in the USA, and you have a very serious storm on the horizon. I don't think Americans are ready for everything in their lives to be expensive. Or at least be a lot more expensive than what they were paying before. The average standard of living will have to go way down. That might not be a bad thing. The virus situation will most likely cause that to happen anyway.
Old 03-18-20, 06:50 PM
malcala622 

Bikes: Bianchi Trofeo/Giro/Krono.Tommasini Prestige. Bottecchia Cromor. Gios Torino. Torelli Strada. Miele Latina. WANT Trek 770 Pink

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 183 Posts
I'm not buying any framesets or parts I know won't go immediately on a build already in my garage.

No ordering from overseas either.
Old 03-18-20, 07:36 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 92 Colnago Master PIU, 85 Fuso, 92 Bridgestone RB-1, 87 Centurion Ironman, 83 Pinarello Record, 92 Tommaso, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 90 Serotta Colorado II, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 90 Pinarello Montello, 89 Tommasini Super Prestige, 08 Look 585 and 8 more

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 55 Posts
I have so many parts already and more than enough bikes I don't plan on buying anything. I do have 3-4 bikes that I have been waiting for Spring to arrive so that I can pass them on.
Old 03-18-20, 07:57 PM
crank_addict

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622 View Post
I'm not buying any framesets or parts I know won't go immediately on a build already in my garage.

No ordering from overseas either.
The wholesale goods from China will be interesting to see what happens, regardless of tarrifs. There's 23,000 empty containers in LA ports that China wants back.
Old 03-18-20, 08:03 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: Lots. Just...lots.

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 169 Posts
Nope, I'm goods, thanks.
Got a project at the painter's, expext that to show up maybe late May, already have the parts on hand.
Other than that, just polishing the shiny bits and riding every day.

Did sell two Dura Ace groups the other day, tho...
Old 03-18-20, 08:09 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 876 Times in 556 Posts
Yes but it was long overdue.

Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 03-18-20, 09:17 PM
deux jambes 

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by cleroica View Post
I had no intention of spending any money on C&V goodies, but a frameset that I've wanted for quite some time popped up for sale in my size, so I couldn't resist.
Thatís understandable. Some items which are in our wishlist are not very easy to find. Particularly special frames in the right size.

Thatís also why I need to refrain from looking at the C&V sales ads, Craigslist, and eBay. Just moments after I resolved to shelve my project, and cease spending, I saw a great pair of rims at a friendly price in the sales forum. Refusing to buy them is the right thing for me to do right now, but itís also unnecessarily painful
Old 03-18-20, 09:20 PM
SurferRosa

Bikes: old school 531c & campy

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 364 Posts
Good deals are out there.

I​​​'ve been pretty busy scouring over all these local obits for anything cycling related.
Old 03-18-20, 09:26 PM
deux jambes 

Originally Posted by USAZorro View Post
Hoping that I won't have to. Completely understand why some folks will need to. This does have me rethinking how and where I do spend.
I also hope you donít have to. And Iím with you in the sense that this could be an opportunity to reevaluate our spending habits. For one, Iíve never had a large income. But I could always learn to manage the income I have with more responsibility.
Old 03-18-20, 09:36 PM
bargo68

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 1979 Miyata Gran Touring, 1983 Miyata Ridge Runner, 1997 Serotta Atlanta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 64 Posts
Day 2 of our shelter-in-place order for the Bay Area, and what do I do? I talked the owner down to 100 and bought this:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik...095157162.html

He answered the door wearing a mask and we kept it short but sweet. Elbo-bumped upon completion and home again. Underneath the dust and light dirt, it's pretty much a garage queen! The saddle is a bit tatty, but we'll see.

Did I feel a little weird going out and doing this considering the current global events? Yep, but I'm in a committed relationship with no children and currently manageable expenditures and the tear down and rebuild is therapy gold for me.

Stay healthy everybody!
Likes For bargo68:
Old 03-18-20, 09:42 PM
Nemosengineer 
Hair Ball

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 97 Posts
I keep a positive attitude and roll with the punches, I have spent my adult life in either defense or oil and gas industries, both are roller coasters, this virus will also pass and things will return to a new normal. I don't plan on slowing down on any personal projects as these are my "safe place" and a way to keep myself sane. That being said, always having a "Plan B' has saved me much grief over my lifetime.

: Mike
Old 03-18-20, 09:42 PM
deux jambes 

Originally Posted by daviddavieboy View Post
Being a truck driver social distancing is part of my job description. Yesterday I had a conference call with my manager and the only change to our business is to drop the loads and mail the invoices. As far as spending things wonít change for me as well as I have 2 frames in the process of restore. I was supposed to head to the USA in April but that decision was changed for me.
Crazy times. And Iím glad that the way it sounds, due to the nature of your job, your lifestyle wonít really be be turned upside down.

Youíve also given me an idea. The frame I was going to build up is in pretty rough cosmetic condition. I wasnít worried about that so much, and I was going to just throw parts on it. But now that Iíve decided to hold out on spending, I think Iíll take this time to give the frame some extra love, and restore it properly. Itíd cost very little, itíd keep me occupied, and the frame is certainly worth the effort.
Likes For deux jambes:
Old 03-18-20, 09:56 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 122 Posts
I work in fresh produce and fruit doesn't stop growing and coming off the trees/vines, or going through the production process for just about anything, especially when people are panicking and pointlessly buying out store loads of stuff!

However, we have a large program that provides ready-to-eat grapes for schools, chains such as Starbucks, Disneyland, etc... And the orders have ground to a halt for such things here in California. We're scrambling to redirect the product towards supermarkets, which will require completely repackaging the grapes - approximately 50,000 boxes worth just on site now, and several boats full are on the water from Chile. Operations there have been halted with the expectation that we won't be able to move any further volume until the schools re-open.

Crazy times, many industries are scrambling. Here in California food production will never make the "non-essential" list so as long as I don't get sick, I've got plenty of work to do!

That said, I already bought a rather pricey frame recently and have some things up for sale. I'll be focusing on selling for a while, except for a couple bits and bobs I might need to tinker around.

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 03-18-20, 09:57 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 79 Panasonic Track, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 3 Nashbars, Marin Palisades Trail, an Italian Steel MTB and a Sears Spaceliner. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 41 Posts
I'm buying ammo instead of C&V parts...got all the bikes I can ride.
Old 03-18-20, 10:16 PM
ThermionicScott 
7-speed cultist

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 2768 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 471 Posts
For the most part, my bikes are "complete" and I have spare parts to keep them running for years. I've been eyeing a particular $$$ upgrade part for my rando bike, but with the events of the last couple of weeks I'm going to keep my powder dry for the time being.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 03-18-20, 10:21 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 232 Posts
A few bikes that I was planning to sell complete will be sold parted out. I see parts doing much better than bikes.
the second shoe to drop reality will be the receipt of those quarterly 401k or other mutual fund statements. Then folk will Feel poor.
Likes For repechage:
Old 03-18-20, 11:09 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 425 Posts
Well, I am not happy about it but it's waaay overdue so it is what it is, BIG project on deck right now, still a little ways off and waaay to many other projects, frames, parts and pieces so unless something phenomenal comes along, I'm going to be in a holding pattern for now while I see if I survive working at the hospital.

I am not optimistic at all but I am going to ride my bike as much as I can to try and keep Chicken Little quiet so I don't have to smash his effen little head.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-18-20, 11:27 PM
deux jambes 

Originally Posted by merziac View Post
Well, I am not happy about it but it's waaay overdue so it is what it is, BIG project on deck right now, still a little ways off and waaay to many other projects, frames, parts and pieces so unless something phenomenal comes along, I'm going to be in a holding pattern for now while I see if I survive working at the hospital.

I am not optimistic at all but I am going to ride my bike as much as I can to try and keep Chicken Little quiet so I don't have to smash his effen little head.
Agreed, itís not a welcome situation by any means. Iím glad you have project material on hand to keep yourself engaged if you wish/need to be. And that you plan to get a lot of riding in too.

Iíve decided to hold off on finishing my shopping list for the Benotto for now. The cost of a wheelset, bottom bracket, and the few odds and ends I still need, is a good chunk of change that may be better to have on hand should the sh*t hit the fan.

Iíve recently gone back to working with kids myself. I took a position at an overnight shelter for runaway and homeless youth. The possibility of shutting down operations is definitely staring us in the face.

Best wishes you and all who are working at hospitals. We both work in high risk environments. Be safe, and take care Van.
Likes For deux jambes:
Old 03-18-20, 11:44 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
The wholesale goods from China will be interesting to see what happens, regardless of tarrifs. There's 23,000 empty containers in LA ports that China wants back.
I had heard once that it was cheaper to make new containers than to ship them back to China. That is why you see so many turned into storage buildings. That was the case when my BIL was deployed to Kuwait. They turned empty containers into housing units for the base.
Old 03-18-20, 11:45 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes View Post
Agreed, itís not a welcome situation by any means. Iím glad you have project material on hand to keep yourself engaged if you wish/need to be. And that you plan to get a lot of riding in too.

Iíve decided to hold off on finishing my shopping list for the Benotto for now. The cost of a wheelset, bottom bracket, and the few odds and ends I still need, is a good chunk of change that may be better to have on hand should the sh*t hit the fan.

Iíve recently gone back to working with kids myself. I took a position at an overnight shelter for runaway and homeless youth. The possibility of shutting down operations is definitely staring us in the face.

Best wishes you and all who are working at hospitals. We both work in high risk environments. Be safe, and take care Van.
Tx Matt,

glad you got back to important work, like it or not.

That's my problem, the hospital seemed like a "greater good" deal and on a good day it is, those are few and far between, nonexistent for now.

So much uncertainty for something that you normally think of the infrastructure as being rock solid and laser focused when there really seems to be no clear path or plan.

Boggles the mind whether I'm a smart enough guy or not, common sense seems to have very little if anything to do with it, staggering, literally, I encounter things every day that any sentient being with a pulse would say .

Good on ya and I hope we live to tell the tale.
Likes For merziac:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.