Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Feeling Overwhelmed: Specialized Diverge or something else (riding near beach)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-20, 01:49 PM
Finz2Left

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I cannot spend more than $1,200. I live in South Florida and will ride mainly neighborhoods, and along A1A which can be sandy and gravely after bad weather.

I am over 50, and a bit chubby, and want to feel stable. I rode a Cannondale Synapse years ago for long distances, but haven't ridden in years.

I rode a Diverge and loved it, but some have said it won't be more stable and might be too slow/heave for long rides. I'd like to work up to 30 mile rides on weekends. Also, I'm not sure if I need a flat bar instead of drop bars>>>>

All thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-30-20, 08:33 AM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I don't think the Diverge will be too slow or heavy for long rides. I have a Sequoia which is slower and heavier. The bigger tires really make for a comfortable ride. I am over 50 as well. I like the drop bars to have the ability to change positions. Consider the Sirrus perhaps.
Old 03-30-20, 08:52 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I think it would be a nice choice --- some wider tires are nice for the occasional sandy spot

Since Specialized has a huge dealer network , id recommend finding one and testing out a couple , both drop bars and flat bars and seeing what you like best --- but I don't think the bike will be too slow or heavy for long rides

I used to be a bit of a bike snob and avoided the big S, (largely riding ITalian road bikes and boutique brand MTB's ) , but an experience riding a buddy's Epic MTB a few years ago changed my mind and I am currently a big Specialized fan -- having invested in an S Works Tarmac a year ago , and am now keeping a look out for a deal on a Crux or a Diverge for a gravel machine now too
Old 03-30-20, 09:14 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
As others have said, a Diverge (any current Diverge) won't be too "slow" or too heavy for long rides. If you've ridden one and "loved it", that should tell you a lot.

As to flat bars or drops, that's not mainly a question of "need" but rather a question of personal preference. I'm a flat bar/bar-ends -- and 'Specialized' -- rider; I ride a Sirrus, often for long distances and on rough, even at times unpaved, roads. If you're shopping Diverge, you should at some point be able to try both to compare. Pick what feels right to you, not what is 'right' in someone else's opinion.
Old 03-30-20, 09:18 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Finz2Left
Hi all,

I cannot spend more than $1,200. I live in South Florida and will ride mainly neighborhoods, and along A1A which can be sandy and gravely after bad weather.

I am over 50, and a bit chubby, and want to feel stable. I rode a Cannondale Synapse years ago for long distances, but haven't ridden in years.

I rode a Diverge and loved it, but some have said it won't be more stable and might be too slow/heave for long rides. I'd like to work up to 30 mile rides on weekends. Also, I'm not sure if I need a flat bar instead of drop bars>>>>

All thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. It's an incredible source of information. I was off of bikes for about 10 years after riding mountain bikes for about a decade. When I bought my first road bike, I went with a flat bar bike thinking it would be more comfortable. I was wrong.

If you rode the Diverge and liked it, get it. You'll be plenty fast on it. It's easy to get what I call analysis paralysis over decisions like this. Just go for it.
Old 03-30-20, 09:38 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I have a diverge and used it for my commute ( 30+ mi round trip mostly crushed limestone and weekend rides for 30-50 mi all mostly on crushed limestone and gravel trails. I am not light weight (near 100 kg), older than you and I ride a carbon version (older without the futureshock). I have over 4000 miles on it. You might also look at the Roubaix, it has a little more relaxed geometry and I find it more comfortable for long rides, but that just may be me.. The Roubaix cannot take as large of tires as the Diverge - up to 32mm) - but that should be good enough.

If I were in your shoes I would also check out Giant bikes.

Last edited by GeneO; 03-30-20 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-30-20, 05:11 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
I have a Diverge and it is a great bike. However if you are going to do group rides it is pretty heavy and I use a Tarmac as I get dropped on the Diverge. If you are going to ride solo you will love the Diverge; it is comfortable and handles well.
Old 03-30-20, 06:33 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Also consider a Cannondale Topstone Sora. List I think is $1250.

When I pulled down a Diverge last November, at my LBS, the model I looked at did not have eyelets on the seat stays to install a rear rack ( or none I could find). The Topstone has that and was a feature I desired, so went with a 105 model. Just something to check if you want to use a rear rack.

Only thing I would change on an production gravel bike is the tires. They might come stock with some gravel tires with knobby treads on the sides, a bit in the center (bike dependent). I’d think about switching those to 32 or 37 mm sized street tires (slicks) for a bit less rolling resistance and greater tire wear.
Old 04-01-20, 02:35 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Heavy won't be an issue for you. If you decide to start racing, especially criteriums, that might be a problem. And if you take it to the mountains (far away from A1A), you might notice the weight. FOr your described riding, it'll be perfect if you enjoy it.
Old 04-01-20, 07:15 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 1,429 Posts
I have a 2018 Diverge Comp and a 2020 Roubaix Expert. I’ve done many rides on the Diverge From 60-100 miles. I’m over 50 and a bit chubby too. The Diverge will likely be an excellent choice for you. My average speed on the Diverge over very similar routes (over 3,000 miles on each bike) is .4 MPH slower than the Roubaix.
Old 04-01-20, 07:39 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Our OP was last on this site 3 minutes after posting this thread.
Old 04-01-20, 07:45 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Our OP was last on this site 3 minutes after posting this thread.
That’s allowed, right? Some people have other things going on and only check in every few days.
Old 04-01-20, 07:57 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
Diverge sounds like a great option for you. I wouldn't worry about the weight, especially since it's so flat where you live. It's a great bike for 30 mile+ rides and will be comfortable, smooth and stable.
Old 04-02-20, 04:00 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
As others have said, that "too slow and heavy for longer rides" is nonsense. I have done 50-60 mile rides on a 55 lb Swedish army bike (Monark M/105A) without any problems.