Coronavirus and its effects on cycling

Old 03-02-20, 10:28 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 241 Posts
Coronavirus and its effects on cycling

By now we probably know about some of the most immediate effects of the coronavirus epidemic: stages of races being cancelled, riders like Chris Froome being briefly quarantined and talks about possibly cancelling the Tokyo Olympics. But here is a new one: disruption of supply lines.

Last week I finally decided to order a Wahoo Core smart trainer. The Core comes standard with a Shimano freehub body (but no cassette). The bike that I intend to use as my dedicated trainer bike is equipped with Campy 11 speed (as are all my bikes). So I needed to order a Campy freehub body for my new trainer.

Guess what? Wahoo does not have the Campy freehub body that I need. Why you may ask? The coronavirus has cut Wahoo’s supply lines. Well not the virus itself, but the effects of the virus on Chinese factories.

So I tried Garmin and their Tacx trainer. Same result, no Campy freehub bodies due to disruption in supply lines because of the coronavirus.

No idea where this will lead, but it would seem that the over-reliance on one country to supply the components and parts that we need has put the entire world economy at risk.

BTW, does anyone know if I can reliably use a Campy rear derailleur with a Shimano cassette? I still want to buy a new trainer, but I don’t want to wait around for the proper freehub body to be finally available.

Thanks.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 03-02-20, 10:37 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 221 Posts
Already had a huge, ridiculous wait for a replacement light battery coming from the PRC to the US mfr.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 03-02-20, 11:21 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 490 Posts
Lots of people are dying, which can really be inconvenient, and you can probably use a Shimano cassette without your bike catching on fire.
Old 03-03-20, 12:47 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Lots of people are dying, which can really be inconvenient, and you can probably use a Shimano cassette without your bike catching on fire.
People die all the time. Death is a fact of life,. So what?

And no, I don’t think that my bikes will catch on fire if I use a Shimano or SRAM cassette. The question was whether, or how well it will work properly.

Smarmy answers aren’t very helpful, but thank you for your contribution to the discussion.
Old 03-03-20, 02:45 AM
daviddavieboy 

Bikes: Yeah, I have some.

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
By now we probably know about some of the most immediate effects of the coronavirus epidemic: stages of races being cancelled, riders like Chris Froome being briefly quarantined and talks about possibly cancelling the Tokyo Olympics. But here is a new one: disruption of supply lines.

Last week I finally decided to order a Wahoo Core smart trainer. The Core comes standard with a Shimano freehub body (but no cassette). The bike that I intend to use as my dedicated trainer bike is equipped with Campy 11 speed (as are all my bikes). So I needed to order a Campy freehub body for my new trainer.

Guess what? Wahoo does not have the Campy freehub body that I need. Why you may ask? The coronavirus has cut Wahoo’s supply lines. Well not the virus itself, but the effects of the virus on Chinese factories.

So I tried Garmin and their Tacx trainer. Same result, no Campy freehub bodies due to disruption in supply lines because of the coronavirus.

No idea where this will lead, but it would seem that the over-reliance on one country to supply the components and parts that we need has put the entire world economy at risk.

BTW, does anyone know if I can reliably use a Campy rear derailleur with a Shimano cassette? I still want to buy a new trainer, but I don’t want to wait around for the proper freehub body to be finally available.

Thanks.
The wait for parts is just the beginning as it will take quite a while for things to get caught up once this disease has passed. As far as the cassette goes, I used one last summer and the only noticable issue was some unreliable shifting. if the derailleur was adjusted to shift well on the bottom of the cassette by the time it got to the top I would have to trim to get the clicking noise out. This won't be a problem on the trainer if left in ERG mode.
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 03-03-20, 03:20 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Planet X Carbon Pro Evo SRAM Force, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Giant XTC 4 mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
My understanding is that, for 11 speed, the spacing on Campy and Shimano is the same.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 03-03-20, 03:50 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
Campy

well ...... there in lies the problem
Old 03-03-20, 04:07 AM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1718 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 204 Posts
Coronavirus hasn't prevented me from riding my bikes, I can still ride everyday...I am more concerned about coronavirus and its effects on stock markets, economy and health of the people than its effects on cycling. Just because you can't buy certain brand of cycling related stuff doesn't mean that it's the end of the world, there are alternatives and you can still ride your bikes.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-03-20, 06:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,375 Posts
Was thinking yesterday about my planned tour in Montana. Supposed to fly out on June 13th. Wondering what the climate will be like then. For now, I am going to assume it's a go. I've got a lot of money sunk into the flight.
Old 03-03-20, 07:25 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
Campy

well ...... there in lies the problem
Funny...
Old 03-03-20, 07:26 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Was thinking yesterday about my planned tour in Montana. Supposed to fly out on June 13th. Wondering what the climate will be like then. For now, I am going to assume it's a go. I've got a lot of money sunk into the flight.
Time to think about travel insurance.
Old 03-03-20, 07:28 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Coronavirus hasn't prevented me from riding my bikes, I can still ride everyday...I am more concerned about coronavirus and its effects on stock markets, economy and health of the people than its effects on cycling. Just because you can't buy certain brand of cycling related stuff doesn't mean that it's the end of the world, there are alternatives and you can still ride your bikes.
Please re-read my post. Nowhere did I imply that this was the end of the world. Reading comprehension is so important.

Have a great day.
Old 03-03-20, 07:30 AM
indyfabz

Time to think about travel insurance.
Don't you have to buy that when you book your flight? I don't flay very often so I am unfamiliar with it. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if premiums have skyrocketed.
Old 03-03-20, 07:34 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Don't you have to buy that when you book your flight? I don't flay very often so I am unfamiliar with it. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if premiums have skyrocketed.
I think that you can buy “trip insurance” in case that you cannot attend your planned vacation trip.

I have even seen cycling events that sell cancellation insurance.

I agree, prices will probably skyrocket.
Old 03-03-20, 07:46 AM
indyfabz

I think that you can buy “trip insurance” in case that you cannot attend your planned vacation trip.

I have even seen cycling events that sell cancellation insurance.
It's a solo, unsupported thing, so at this point all I have is the flight that I have paid for. But it's first class and was not cheap. ($1,056). Only a few other reservations I will need to make--campground the first night, motel later on the trip and one at the end. The first one I can cancel with only a minimal fee. The other two I will be able to cancel with relatively short notice.
Old 03-03-20, 09:43 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 150 Posts
Climate? I'm more concerned what the smoke will be like in August.
Old 03-03-20, 09:51 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
Climate?
Not weather. Will there be wide-spread travel restrictions? Will locals look on outsiders as threats? Will facilities like state parks and NFS campgrounds be open? What about large businesses where many people gather? (The plan is to ship my bike to REI for assembly and box storage.) Things like that. I am not imagining the worst. Just wondering at this relatively early stage.
Old 03-03-20, 09:54 AM
AdkMtnMonster

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 100 Posts
With climate change occurring as rapidly as it is, you can presume that Montana will likely be at the bottom of an inland ocean by mid-June. Hope you have a great ride and the winds of Montana are going the right way for you.
Old 03-03-20, 10:13 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 150 Posts
Not weather. Will there be wide-spread travel restrictions? Will locals look on outsiders as threats? Will facilities like state parks and NFS campgrounds be open? What about large businesses where many people gather? (The plan is to ship my bike to REI for assembly and box storage.) Things like that. I am not imagining the worst. Just wondering at this relatively early stage.
I got it, just pokin' at you.

My guess is that there may be more TSA-type screening (measure your temperature to get on a plane kind of thing). Larger cities with an REI? They'll probably be desparate for tourist traffic -- maybe the food servers will wash their hands before leaving restroom. Smaller towns, like logging communities? June might be the month they're suspicious of outsiders, between the time COVID arrives and the time they figure out the logs have to be delivered outside the town limits, and oh by they way, they're dependent on Amazon shipments and food trucks delivering groceries into their isolated community.

Early June, I can almost imagine campgrounds will be closed; late summer, OTOH, closing NFS campgrounds might impact hunting season. Big no-no, both for local hunters and outsiders hiring guides.

Anybody setting up a betting pool?
Old 03-03-20, 10:29 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
I got it, just pokin' at you.

My guess is that there may be more TSA-type screening (measure your temperature to get on a plane kind of thing). Larger cities with an REI? They'll probably be desparate for tourist traffic -- maybe the food servers will wash their hands before leaving restroom. Smaller towns, like logging communities? June might be the month they're suspicious of outsiders, between the time COVID arrives and the time they figure out the logs have to be delivered outside the town limits, and oh by they way, they're dependent on Amazon shipments and food trucks delivering groceries into their isolated community.

Early June, I can almost imagine campgrounds will be closed; late summer, OTOH, closing NFS campgrounds might impact hunting season. Big no-no, both for local hunters and outsiders hiring guides.

Anybody setting up a betting pool?
Missoula REI. Busy place between locals and tourists. One I hit the road my first two planned stops are at NFS campgrounds. I could always disperse camp. Just hope they keep the water tap on. A couple of state parks and a couple more NFS campgrounds are also on the agenda as are a couple of private campgrounds, two motels and a city park. Hopefully, everything will go smoothly.
Old 03-04-20, 03:53 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3191 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 47 Posts
the conventional wisdom is that corona virus die off in warmer season. in the summer, the virus should be no longer a threat.
Old 03-04-20, 05:44 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3576 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
the conventional wisdom is that corona virus die off in warmer season. in the summer, the virus should be no longer a threat.

Pretty sure no one who actually knows anything about the subject is confident of that. There may not be any reduction at all or it could do what the 1918 flu did, take a lull over the summer, then come back worse than ever.

Conventional wisdom is a phrase meaning "me" or "I heard some guys."
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-04-20, 11:05 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 56 Posts
Based on what?

The Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918 started in the spring of 1918 as a highly contagious and virulent flu although not particularly deadly strain. It then dropped off in the summer only to re-emerge in the fall of 1918 in a mutated form that was highly deadly and ended up killing an estimated 20-50 million people worldwide.
Likes For August West:
Old 03-04-20, 01:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3925 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 564 Posts
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-04-20, 01:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3925 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 564 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
This is such an oddly dismissive comment because you tell others to basically not freak out since there are alternatives to what they want, yet you also list things that you want(are concerned about).

- the OP didnt claim or even suggest that its the end of the world due to a component being unavailable.
- why is being concerned about the stock markets or economy any more justifiable than being concerned about manufacturing and retail supply chains(the topic of this thread)? Those stock markets and the economies you are concerned about are made up of...many supply chains, which is what the OP is discussing. You are basically concerned about the same thing as the OP, but his is a micro level and yours is a macro level.

Odd to be dismissive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.