Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Snob NY (Eben Weiss) on carbon

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Snob NY (Eben Weiss) on carbon

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-24, 09:28 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
LOL it's 2024 and we all are still on an Internet forum. What did you expect? 😂
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 02-03-24, 09:35 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
LOL it's 2024 and we all are still on an Internet forum. What did you expect? 😂
Perfect succinct explanation of what is happening here. Humbled how well articulated and accurate yet so few words.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-03-24, 10:37 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
My steel Lemond Zurich is about 1.5# heavier than a similarly equipped Madone.

Swap out the stock wheels for a 1500 gram CF set and the difference is about 6 oz.
Crabon wheels then? <running, ducking ...>
Old 02-05-24, 12:05 PM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
Who needs the Kwik-E-Mart**********

I do………
Old 02-05-24, 01:48 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Or another way of looking at it, Carbon is for those who can read and follow simple instructions.
I guess it doesn't do any good to put that disclaimer in the owner's manual, does it?
Old 02-11-24, 12:59 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I would never clamp any bike by the top tube, whether in a work stand or a bike rack. I think that's going to be true of most riders who are serious enough to consider purchasing cf bikes.

By the way, that Thule adapter that allows one to clamp a cf bike by the frame tube costs a whole $30. You provided the link -- did you notice just how inexpensive the solution is? Less than a decent saddlebag.

In other words, you've made up an imaginary problem.
it is not an imaginary problem if the manufacturers have specifically added the wording as a CYA And yes there are solutions, but the point was: carbon frames need a little extra care in handling as noted in the article

I will say my newest steel bike had a similar warning from the builder, so this certainly applies to all high end light tubed bikes, no matter what the material

I would disagree on the first point in that there are a significant percentage of people who buy high end CF bikes who never wrench, read the manual or understand the material. I have seen more than a few nice CF bikes hanging by the top tube on car racks

and none of this deals with simple thing like bikes falling and hitting top tube with handle bars

Old 02-11-24, 08:10 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
and none of this deals with simple thing like bikes falling and hitting top tube with handle bars
Apparently you have missed the many bf threads about damaged steel and aluminum bike frames. Some of them have been quite amusing. There was the poster who had clearly dropped his aluminum frame's top tube into a door frame and put in a vertical crease… But he insisted it came from changing temperatures creating some kind of vacuum effect inside the frame. There was also a guy who took out his brand new, custom built, thin walled tubing steel frame on its very first ride, and let the handlebar twist around and slam into the top tube. Boy, was he angry! The builder, Waterford, would not give him a free repair. Richard Schwinn’s response was, “You wanted a lightweight steel road bike – you got it!“

Again, this is not a carbon fiber problem.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-11-24, 10:31 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Apparently you have missed the many bf threads about damaged steel and aluminum bike frames. Some of them have been quite amusing. There was the poster who had clearly dropped his aluminum frame's top tube into a door frame and put in a vertical crease… But he insisted it came from changing temperatures creating some kind of vacuum effect inside the frame. There was also a guy who took out his brand new, custom built, thin walled tubing steel frame on its very first ride, and let the handlebar twist around and slam into the top tube. Boy, was he angry! The builder, Waterford, would not give him a free repair. Richard Schwinn’s response was, “You wanted a lightweight steel road bike – you got it!“

Again, this is not a carbon fiber problem.
the steel and aluminum bikes are probably totally fine to ride safely in comparison to a similar problem in a carbon frame. Metal yields, carbon shatters. Sure aluminum will fail when put through enough small stress cycles, but it’s not comparable to carbon
Old 02-11-24, 10:44 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Sure aluminum will fail when put through enough small stress cycles, but it’s not comparable to carbon
Right, aluminum is not comparable to CF. Aluminum fatigues, CF does not.

But if you think aluminum or steel gives warning before failing, it often does not. The first indication of a problem is the usually rider on the ground.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-11-24, 11:12 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Despite their high initial strength-to-weight ratios, a design limitation of CFRPs are their lack of a definable fatigue limit. This means, theoretically, that stress cycle failure cannot be ruled out. While steel and many other structural metals and alloys do have estimable fatigue or endurance limits, the complex failure modes of composites mean that the fatigue failure properties of CFRPs are difficult to predict and design against. As a result, when using CFRPs for critical cyclic-loading applications, engineers may need to design in considerable strength safety margins to provide suitable component reliability over its service life.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon...ers#Properties
Old 02-11-24, 11:13 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

dogmatic /dôg-măt′ĭk, dŏg-/

adjective

1. Relating to, characteristic of, or resulting from dogma.
  2. Asserting or insisting upon ideas or principles, especially when unproven or unexamined, in an imperious or arrogant manner.
  3. Characterized by such assertion, often with an unconsidered rejection of criticism.
    "a dogmatic adherence to a single educational model."
Old 02-11-24, 12:38 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Wikipedia (paraphrased..tm): Blah blah blah, carbon composite fatigue scare words, blah blah.
The truth is that carbon fiber composite is amazingly resistant to fatigue -- way, way better than metals. When I write that carbon fiber "does not fatigue", that is for real world applications true -- if the composite was properly designed and manufactured. Fatigue life is one of the features driving increased CF use in aircraft:

FAA Report 2011

The other truth about composite structures is that they are complex, and manufacturing defects can occur that may alter their fatigue life. That's why well-designed composites include a margin of safety. Even with this margin of safety, CF's still stronger, lighter, and much longer lasting than an equivalent metal structure.

Old 02-11-24, 01:00 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...keep the faith, Terry. When you start accusing Wikipedia of using " CF scare words ", the discussion has transcended the rational, and entered the realm of dogma.
Old 02-11-24, 02:33 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
...keep the faith, Terry. When you start accusing Wikipedia of using " CF scare words ", the discussion has transcended the rational, and entered the realm of dogma.
Since you didn't read Terry's post, aircraft wings have been made out of carbon fiber for a very long time now. Even if CF doesn't have a definable fatigue life, it's certainly more than long enough for bike frames.

If we take a comparison. The F/A-18c has carbon fiber wings. The airframe is rated for 6000 hours of flight consisting of strains far higher any bike frame should ever experience. If you ride a bike for 6000 hours you can calculate how many miles that bike will accumulate. It's a few.

So whilst CF fatigue can't be ruled out, it clearly isn't an issue in bike applications.

If we're discussing ultra light frames, well then steel certainly doesn't have an advantage since with thin tubes with thin wall thicknesses the riding strains are well above the fatigue limit. That's partly why ultralight steel frames don't tend to last. With carbon, perhaps that's true as well but a carbon frame of the weight of an ultralight steel frame is still just a basic carbon frame.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 02-11-24, 03:00 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by elcruxio
Since you didn't read Terry's post, aircraft wings have been made out of carbon fiber for a very long time now. Even if CF doesn't have a definable fatigue life, it's certainly more than long enough for bike frames.

...I read it. It's the classic knee jerk response to any suggestion of CFRP frame failures. "You know they make airplanes out of this stuff, right ?" Certainly the industry has learned a lot about what does and does not break in use, by a long running experiment in the real world of cycling and racing. Let me know when we get the cycling equivalent of the FAA. And the engineering design staff and oversight that exists at Boeing or Air Bus starts working for Specialized or Trek. I simply posted, verbatim, some of the text from Wiki on designing with CFRP. That's only scare words if you're a true believer.

Originally Posted by original article
And no, I’m not one of those retrogrouches who’s afraid of carbon bikes and thinks they’re all about to explode at any moment. In fact, I rode a 35 year-old carbon bike through the Swiss Alps. (It was a finely aged hunk of cheese.) Yes, I know they make airplanes out of it. Yes, I know it can often be repaired. Yes, I know the majority of people who own carbon fiber bikes won’t have a problem with them. But airplanes have a whole federal agency looking after them, and who the hell wants to have to send their bicycle frame out for repair because of some dumb little crash in the first place?
Please, give it a rest. If you think I'm going to discuss this with yet another person here who seems more interested in scoring points than discussion, you're mistaken.
Old 02-11-24, 03:04 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
And the engineering design staff and oversight that exists at Boeing...
Too soon, maybe.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-11-24, 03:05 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Why ruin a good productive thread. Besides anyone who uses the word crabon is effectively an adolescent fool.
...damn kids !
Old 02-11-24, 03:17 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
...damn kids !
Are you ok? Seriously, you must have 10 arguments going simultaneously and you go back over a week to dig up a throw away post of mine to re-engage and throw more fire on the chaos.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-11-24, 03:28 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Darn. Will someone remind me where the “ignore” feature is? It’s been a while since I’ve wanted to use it.

thanks

Old 02-11-24, 04:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
dogmatic /dôg-măt′ĭk, dŏg-/

adjective

1. Relating to, characteristic of, or resulting from dogma.
  2. Asserting or insisting upon ideas or principles, especially when unproven or unexamined, in an imperious or arrogant manner.
  3. Characterized by such assertion, often with an unconsidered rejection of criticism.
    "a dogmatic adherence to a single educational model."
Dogmatic

When I rustle plastic in the kitchen my dog automatically appears.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-11-24, 04:38 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Darn. Will someone remind me where the “ignore” feature is? It’s been a while since I’ve wanted to use it.

thanks
...just click on your user avatar top right, select user control panel from the drop down menu.
Then look for "edit ignore list" over on the left in settings and options. Should open right up.

You're welcome. It's for the best. Good luck in all your future endeavors, etc. etc. etc.
Old 02-11-24, 04:44 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Are you ok? Seriously, you must have 10 arguments going simultaneously and you go back over a week to dig up a throw away post of mine to re-engage and throw more fire on the chaos.
...it reminded me of this more recent one. I guess it's another ongoing theme with you. nttawwt

It's rather amusing how some folks believe tweaking someone's name is the pinnacle of cleverness. It's like they've stumbled upon the secret recipe for wit in the kindergarten playbook. If you think altering a word magically transforms you into a linguistic wizard, perhaps it's time to graduate from the school of juvenile jests and embrace the vast world of mature banter. After all, playing with someone's name is about as sophisticated as building a sandcastle in the intellectual desert.
Old 02-11-24, 05:18 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Hey ... PrettyPonyPerson ...

ATTENTION.

There is some of the attention you crave. Hope it helps.
Old 02-11-24, 05:32 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

ATTENTION.

Really?
Old 02-11-24, 07:30 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Maelochs

ATTENTION.

It's rather amusing how some folks believe tweaking someone's name is the pinnacle of cleverness. It's like they've stumbled upon the secret recipe for wit in the kindergarten playbook. If you think altering a word magically transforms you into a linguistic wizard, perhaps it's time to graduate from the school of juvenile jests and embrace the vast world of mature banter. After all, playing with someone's name is about as sophisticated as building a sandcastle in the intellectual desert.
...I'm tiptoeing between the sand castles, here in the intellectual desert currently passing for General Cycling. It requires a great deal of my attention. Thank you for noticing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.