Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weather whiplash

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Weather whiplash

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-24, 07:30 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Weather whiplash

Three days, three seasons so far this week. Monday we hit an all time Feb record of 65F--summer. Tuesday afternoon's ride was at 32F, with winds gusting to 45mph--spring. I made it home before the snow flurries kicked in. Yesterday's ride was at 18F with winds 15-25mph--winter.

Today, back up to upper 40s--spring.

I have put away my winter clothing twice and had to resurrect it. Was yesterday the final time?
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 02-29-24, 07:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
Three days, three seasons so far this week. Monday we hit an all time Feb record of 65F--summer. Tuesday afternoon's ride was at 32F, with winds gusting to 45mph--spring. I made it home before the snow flurries kicked in. Yesterday's ride was at 18F with winds 15-25mph--winter.

I have put away my winter clothing twice and had to resurrect it. Was yesterday the final time?
Further south here, but I thought the same thing about winter clothing two weeks ago. Final time (for this year)? I'm not going to count on it for a few more weeks.
Old 02-29-24, 07:46 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I was just about to switch to the touring bike, then it snowed again. A quick temp swing today to make a complete mess of the roads, then colder tomorrow. Possibly getting the biggest snow dump of the season this weekend but I won't hold my breath.
Old 03-24-24, 01:17 PM
gecho

Clear enough now to ride without studs so I ordered new tires for my mountain bike. I put them on last night only to discover my freehub was seized. I took that off this morning, cleaned the rusty bearings and got it spinning again. I should head over to the LBS today and get some new jockey wheels, mine have gone all pointy again.
Old 03-27-24, 05:53 AM
MNBikeCommuter

We are back to winter. It's 17F right now with a high of mid-20s. We got a foot of snow Sun-Tues, with a pause for over half an inch of rain on Mon. The 9" I shovelled Monday had compacted to 3" on the driveway, and was HEAVY. I did get the WINTER bike out Sun morning as the system was delayed a few hours. The last 12 miles was biking in a snow globe, which is always fun. No biking Monday or yesterday. I will have to break out the actual winter gear for this afternoon, for the third time after putting it away "one last time!"
Old 03-30-24, 09:26 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter

You obviously don’t live in Colorado. The follow sums up Colorado’s “spring” (until mid June)

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-30-24, 09:31 AM
gecho

We got about 5" yesterday. I've learned from experience to just wait out these late winter storms. The slush cakes on everything letting water seep in and damage components. Plus the city goes to straight salt with the warmer temperatures. The snow disappears in a day or two so it is best to have a little patience. Forecast for Wednesday is 18C.
Old 04-17-24, 11:39 AM
gecho

After a full week of well above normal temperatures we are getting our traditional mid-April snow. Not a lot, but it will be helpful for the garden which I seeded the early stuff in last weekend (potatoes, carrots, onions, peas, lettuce).
Old 04-19-24, 11:57 AM
MNBikeCommuter

We had some flurries this morning but they didn't amount to anything. The temp is almost 20 degrees below normal at 36F, so I will be pulling out the appropriate footwear that's been in the closet a couple of weeks. But the heavy winter clothing will remain packed away! And it's the third day of 20-40mph wind. Given a choice of cool and calm, or warm and windy, I prefer the former. But today, it's cool and windy...