Old 01-09-11, 10:22 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Cold feet

What do you guys do to keep your feet warm?

Right now I have some defeet Blaze wool socks, and Sugoi Booties, but that is only good down to about 30*, and even then im only good for about an hour before my feet are too cold. I think the problem I am having is the wind.

Any ideas on a cheap windproof layer?
Old 01-09-11, 10:34 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Boot Glove + rain covers = warm feet down to 10f.

I’ll ride down to 10f and find that rain covers will keep my feet warm down to about 40f. I wanted to avoid having a winter set of cycling boots, so I needed to find a way to insulate my existing summer cycling shoes.

My cycling shoes are light weight and well ventilated. Rain covers and Smart-wool socks help keep my feet warm down to about 40f, but colder weather is a real issue. I had a Boot Glove cover for my Alpine ski boots that was gathering dust, so I inserted it between my summer road shoes and my rain covers. They keep my toes warm to 10f and would probably allow me to cycle in colder weather if I wanted.

https://www.dryguy.net/BootGlove.php

Boot Glove is a 5 Mil N2s Neoprene cover that straps around the shoe, covering the toe, tongue, and sides of the boot. I removed the strap that runs under the sole of the shoe, it interfered with the cleat. I used a small square of duct tape to hold the Boot Glove over the toe, but it wasn’t really needed, the rain cover holds the Boot Glove in place. I use the rear strap of the Boot Cover, mostly to help stretch the Boot Glove over the buckles of the shoe. I then put on the rain covers and go cycling.

My cycling shoes perform normally without the extra bulk of heavy socks. This will allow me to keep cycling this winter in Chicago. I’m 122 miles YTD.

Michael
Old 01-09-11, 11:57 AM
fishtoes2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recommend buying an oversized pair of winter cycling shoes as I wrote about here.
https://www.allyeargear.com/winter-bi...our-feet-warm/

For longer rides I use a vapor barrier and one or two socks. No booties. It worked in the Iditasport Extreme race and it works around Detroit.
Old 01-09-11, 11:58 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 49 Posts
The cheap way? Once it's below freezing, install some cheapo platform pedals and wear insulated outdoor boots, you probably already own a pair.
Old 01-10-11, 07:54 AM
recumbentken
Ken

Bikes: Cannondale recumbent / Volae Expedition (recumbent)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try these https://www.warmers.com/Category.aspx?Cat=68
Old 01-10-11, 08:15 AM
cyclpsycho

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate, GF 29'r, Specialized Crux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use to have problems with cold feet too. Tried everything. Those ^ heaters are nice, but can get expensive. What I found that works is rub a little of this on your toes: Leg Salsa.
Old 01-10-11, 12:24 PM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Lake MXZ302's with smartwool socks. I can take that combination on a 40 mile ride in 20F weather.