Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

2016 Track World Championships

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-16, 08:46 PM
wens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm catching up on world's, just watched the second? Round of the women's keirin. Ellis lighter (sp?) looks like she's a foot taller than anyone else and may as well just lead it out, since she's not getting any draft anyhow.
Old 03-08-16, 06:17 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
I'm catching up on world's
Doing the same. Just noticed in the Madison at 40 that a Swiss rider has his PC7 on the bars! Couldn't tell if the screen was taped over - could still see the Set Mode buttons.
Old 03-08-16, 06:20 AM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Czech rider had one during the women's scratch. Couldn't see if hers was taped over either, but I was surprised regardless.

Also a lot of bars way wider than shoulders in that women's race, and Laura Trott seems to be running the narrowest ones. I'd be interested in data on that, because some of the set ups look like they're air funnels.
Old 03-08-16, 06:24 AM
MrMinty

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8, Claud Butler Roubaix, Raleigh Equipe

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do they not have a womens madison?
Old 03-08-16, 06:52 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
The Czech rider had one during the women's scratch. Couldn't see if hers was taped over either, but I was surprised regardless.

Also a lot of bars way wider than shoulders in that women's race, and Laura Trott seems to be running the narrowest ones. I'd be interested in data on that, because some of the set ups look like they're air funnels.
I'm not familiar with the women's endurance field. But, I think a lot of them are road pros. I'm pretty sure that the argument is, "I ride 42s on my road bike. I want the exact same bars on my track bike." and it's difficult for a coach to get them to switch.
Old 03-08-16, 07:15 AM
Poppit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I'm not familiar with the women's endurance field. But, I think a lot of them are road pros. I'm pretty sure that the argument is, "I ride 42s on my road bike. I want the exact same bars on my track bike." and it's difficult for a coach to get them to switch.
Trott has a track background so was bought up on narrow bars, as are most of the Brits, Would you benefit from narrower handlebars? - Cycling Weekly
Old 03-08-16, 10:03 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrMinty
Do they not have a womens madison?
no but there is talk of it. Even talk of a mixed field (sounds less likely)
Old 03-09-16, 02:19 AM
Poppit

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Poppit
Trott has a track background so was bought up on narrow bars, as are most of the Brits, Would you benefit from narrower handlebars? - Cycling Weekly
I suppose it's worthwhile bearing in mind that you rotate your wrists outwards on the track which gives you a wider base than a normal road position where you rotate them inwards.
Old 03-09-16, 07:33 AM
MrMinty

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8, Claud Butler Roubaix, Raleigh Equipe

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
no but there is talk of it. Even talk of a mixed field (sounds less likely)
A mixed Madison would be good, but as you say, very unlikely. Maybe a mixed Omnium would work with men in some events and women in others, and the total scores combined?

I'm sure they did a handicapped mixed Mens/Womens longest lap at one of the Revolution races, but I'm not 100% sure how it worked
Old 03-10-16, 03:05 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Poppit
I suppose it's worthwhile bearing in mind that you rotate your wrists outwards on the track which gives you a wider base than a normal road position where you rotate them inwards.
Look at Jonathan Dibben in the points race. He has super narrow bars and rides with his wrists rolled inward most of the time.
Old 03-12-16, 02:56 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gl98115
Look at Jonathan Dibben in the points race. He has super narrow bars and rides with his wrists rolled inward most of the time.
I rode 37 c-t-c bars on the track, always had wrists rotated in- kept my super narrow/shrugged shoulders.
It's not a big deal once you acclimate to it.
Old 04-16-16, 12:31 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just catching up on watching races... Don't know if anyone caught this, but with Bradley Wiggins and Cavendish in the Madison, did anyone see what happened when they took their lap with 34 laps to go?

France missed their exchange (49:03 into the video). The French rider #1 had just finished covering an attack by Spain and then the French team missed their exchange forcing French #1 (red number) to stay in another two laps. When Bradley attacked, he split the next French exchange and got a gap, after which he immediately threw Cavendish into the race to extend the gap. Pretty good racing action. None of this was by accident; they'd been marking the French team since 45 laps to go. Pretty sure Cavendish saw the missed exchange, told Bradley as he was being thrown in and Bradley attacked right when the French team was at their most vulnerable.

After that, nobody helped France chase, sealing the deal. Good race to watch!
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 04-16-16 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-16-16, 03:07 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Just catching up on watching races... Don't know if anyone caught this, but with Bradley Wiggins and Cavendish in the Madison, did anyone see what happened when they took their lap with 34 laps to go?

France missed their exchange (49:03 into the video). The French rider #1 had just finished covering an attack by Spain and then the French team missed their exchange forcing French #1 (red number) to stay in another two laps. When Bradley attacked, he split the next French exchange and got a gap, after which he immediately threw Cavendish into the race to extend the gap. Pretty good racing action. None of this was by accident; they'd been marking the French team since 45 laps to go. Pretty sure Cavendish saw the missed exchange, told Bradley as he was being thrown in and Bradley attacked right when the French team was at their most vulnerable.

After that, nobody helped France chase, sealing the deal. Good race to watch!
Yes an exciting race; as I recall the UK team got help from the Spanish team in gaining their lap