Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Pure carbon

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Pure carbon

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 06:19 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by LAwor
If you think about it quickly then yes but then ask yourself the question would I become more fit ( increase my heart rate more by) lifting 50lbs 10 times or 500lbs once or 100lbs or 5 times? Fitness is built through repetition. So if I have a lighter bike I can "spin" the crank faster, complete more repetitions which will increase my heart rate which by definition would increase my fitness. That's what the "spin classes" at the gym are predicated on.
Pedal faster. A lighter bike most definitely does not allow you to spin faster. Pedaling fast comes from muscle memory. Ride alot and work on your spin. Owning several lightweights and heavyweights, I can tell you that weight has nothing to with pedal RPM
Old 03-17-16, 10:48 PM
LAwor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grey.
Did you ride it around a smooth parking lot, or on the rough roads you described in your first post? I mean, my bike is all aluminium (typically described as the most unforgiving material to use) and yet I regularly do ~25 miles in total comfort, because we have nicely paved trails here. It's all relative.
Well I have taken ownership of the bike and I must say ALL of my hopes and expectations have been realized. This bike is fast AND comfortable and smooth. Not sure if it's the carbon frame or the zertz inserts but after a few rides on my regular circuit it is more comfortable than my 8.3 DS. And I have shaved 3mins off of my total time and increased my avg speed and cadence. So if someone in the future is wondering whether they should make the upgrade from alloy to carbon? I say JUMP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160316_065247.jpg (75.3 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by LAwor; 03-17-16 at 10:55 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 03-18-16, 12:15 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by LAwor

Well I have taken ownership of the bike and I must say ALL of my hopes and expectations have been realized. This bike is fast AND comfortable and smooth. Not sure if it's the carbon frame or the zertz inserts but after a few rides on my regular circuit it is more comfortable than my 8.3 DS. And I have shaved 3mins off of my total time and increased my avg speed and cadence. So if someone in the future is wondering whether they should make the upgrade from alloy to carbon? I say JUMP
That is a beautiful looking bike, but quite possibly you would have achieved and felt the same way with the aluminium version of the Sirrus.
Old 03-18-16, 07:09 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Confirmation Bias is a wonderful thing. Enjoy your new bike! It's a beauty. Mine is a 2015 - 'PURE CARBON' - I even replaced the wheels with carbon wheels and the handlebars and the stem. I love it.
Old 03-18-16, 05:06 PM
Grey.

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have to admit i'm surprised, but nonetheless glad that you're enjoying it.

Looks like you've already got some accessories on it.
Old 03-18-16, 09:23 PM
LAwor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
Confirmation Bias is a wonderful thing. Enjoy your new bike! It's a beauty. Mine is a 2015 - 'PURE CARBON' - I even replaced the wheels with carbon wheels and the handlebars and the stem. I love it.
Originally Posted by Grey.
Have to admit i'm surprised, but nonetheless glad that you're enjoying it.

Looks like you've already got some accessories on it.
I am surprised too, its probably confirmation bias but I am loving it...... Yes I have an Edge 1000 and a tail light ( I ride mostly in the early morning).... Earlier in the thread someone was questioning the weight. It weighs in at just over 18lbs
Old 03-19-16, 09:20 AM
LAwor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
PW: Do you have any pictures of your updated bike?
Old 03-22-16, 07:27 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

I don't have any good pics right now. I will take some within a few days and post them. Thanks LAwor. You're a good sport.
Old 03-22-16, 08:44 AM
RickGr4

Bikes: 2016 Giant Fastroad CoMax 2, 2002 Jamis Tangier, Classic Nakamichi 10 speed.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may be able to add some insight to this topic. In the spring of 2015, I bought a 2015 Giant Fastroad SLR1 (aluminum frame). In the fall of 2015 (with the help of my LBS) I decided to exchange that bike for a 2016 Giant Fastroad Comax 2 (composite frame). The two bikes are extremely similar (not identical) except for the frame material.

I like the ride quality of the Comax 2 better. The difference is not night and day but it is there. In a different thread, I suggested the ride quality differences of the two bikes are like comparing the ride quality a German made car to a Japanese or American made car. The Comax 2 in more "controlled". It picks up bumps in a more controlled way. It rebounds less. It feels more grounded and secure. The ride is more "refined".

I am not sure this information will help anyone. I am sure a few people may disagree with me. But I thought I would share my first hand experience between the two frame materials.
Old 04-10-16, 11:02 AM
LAwor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After several rides I CAN confirm that switching to pure carbon was all that I anticipated: more comfortable, smoother ride, faster, improved fitness etc. Again wondering? Just jump. Next up a power meter. (One consideration should be mentioned; this newer bike has better components: crank-set designed for climbing with better gears, cassette and gear rations)
Old 04-14-16, 06:26 AM
CTOlsen

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp disk.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just brought home my new 2016 Sirrus Carbon Comp disk. After riding an alum GT fitness bike for the last 5 years, it rides like a dream. Nice reach, easy shifting, and quiet- no squeeks, clicks, or rubs.
I'm not sure I would appreciate the difference between the carbon and alum comp disk, but I wanted it nonetheless.
Chose the Comp line primarily because of the gear ratio. It has a 34 tooth cassette gear where the others have 32(max). The hills of the Mystic CT area can be difficult to navigate, thus the desire for additional ratio.
Loving it in Mystic!
Old 04-14-16, 10:42 AM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CTOlsen
Just brought home my new 2016 Sirrus Carbon Comp disk. After riding an alum GT fitness bike for the last 5 years, it rides like a dream. Nice reach, easy shifting, and quiet- no squeeks, clicks, or rubs.
I'm not sure I would appreciate the difference between the carbon and alum comp disk, but I wanted it nonetheless.
Chose the Comp line primarily because of the gear ratio. It has a 34 tooth cassette gear where the others have 32(max). The hills of the Mystic CT area can be difficult to navigate, thus the desire for additional ratio.
Loving it in Mystic!
congrat

do you have some pics of your new bike? I have the same and still love it! Funny you mention it, but yes it is quiet and no squeeks.
Old 04-14-16, 11:07 AM
PedalingWalrus

Awesome, congrats. Enjoy! :-)

Originally Posted by CTOlsen
Loving it in Mystic!
Old 04-14-16, 07:25 PM
CTOlsen

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp disk.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lt Stonez
congrat

do you have some pics of your new bike? I have the same and still love it! Funny you mention it, but yes it is quiet and no squeeks.
Yes I do!
Attached Images
Front small.jpg (53.3 KB, 40 views)
Cassette small.jpg (64.1 KB, 37 views)
rear small.jpg (99.7 KB, 37 views)