Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

To use a Camelbak or not. That is the question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

To use a Camelbak or not. That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-15, 01:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I dont live in a Desert, like LA, so a bottle of water is fine here.
Old 09-05-15, 01:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I use a hydration pack on longer rides in the summer. Had too many issues running out of water. I am looking to mount it on the bike though, I think it ends up making back pain issues worse.
Old 09-06-15, 04:17 PM
Wingsprint

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think more people would be open to using a pack on the road if they had a better pack. IMHO, the Camelbaks kinda suck. For example, Osprey packs are vastly superior to Camelbaks in quality, ventilation, ergonomics and aerodynamics.

With that said, I do not use a pack while on the road. Water bottles and a saddle bag are all I need. I do use a pack while mountain biking. My Camelbak never get used, I reach for my Osprey viper 5 every time.
Old 09-06-15, 09:28 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by phillycodehound
Hi All,

I posted this question on the "I Love Road Cycling VIP" Facebook page and it went viral. I have a Camelbak for my back. I'm a road rider. I was talking to a local bike shop owner who had a definite opinion about it. He said that it's a little overkill for small rides, I agree. It makes you hotter and can slow you down on hills. He also says that most road cyclists don't use Camelbaks and might look at me funny. This last piece kinda threw me. What are we in 8th grade?

Do you use a Camelbak backpack on rides? What are your thoughts on this? LMK. Thanks
I used to but no longer. My Mule is shelved lol.

It ended up being simply unnecessary.
Old 09-06-15, 10:25 PM
jgadamski

Bikes: e-bike and a steel framed roadie

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless Camelbaks have improved in recent years, the taste the hosing leaves is more than I can take. I run two water bottles on longer rides.
Old 09-06-15, 10:54 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
When they first came out, everybody I rode with used one on the road. It was just an insulated pouch with 1/2" straps and a bladder. For rides around southern california it took a bladder and 3 water bottles, and I still ran out. Then the backpack version came out for MTB, most of us bought that (only for MTB use), which freed up cages for the big battery packs we used with halogen lights and avoided dirty mouthpieces on our bottles.

After a hiatus from road riding, I was very surprised that it had become actively unfashionabe. Personally I don't use one on the road because it makes me swallow air, which makes me sick, but I have used one to refill my bottles. Maybe go sans the team sponsor jerseys so you look the part.
Old 09-09-15, 02:07 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
There are times when camelbaks are a real plus like when you are doing a really long ride and you either don't want to stop often or water resupply may be an issue.

The other time is when it is really hot out there; there is a lot to be said for filling the bag full of ice and drinking cold water deep into a ride.
this.
Old 09-09-15, 08:07 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by jgadamski
Unless Camelbaks have improved in recent years, the taste the hosing leaves is more than I can take. I run two water bottles on longer rides.
You should revisit them. Camelbak has vastly improved the plastic that they use and the taste of the water has improved.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-09-15, 03:29 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
If you goal is to get folks stirred up (go viral?) here, you'll need to be more original. The Camelbak issue is over and done. Use one if you need it. Nobody cares.
Old 09-09-15, 03:33 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I use a hydration pack on longer rides in the summer. Had too many issues running out of water. I am looking to mount it on the bike though, I think it ends up making back pain issues worse.
A friend of mine has run his hydration pack in a frame bag. He uses it for bikepacking and endurance events. Check out the Revelate Tangle frame bag. Just throw in a Camelbak bladder or equivalent and you're done.
Old 09-10-15, 04:52 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I can ride faster and farther than most any 8th grader. I have a better road bike than an 8th grader. But he's got the better smart phone.
Old 09-10-15, 07:42 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
I've had the frame rivnuts go bad on one one bike. I had picked up a camelback earlier so I started using it for a while. It was convenient. It was also convenient on my other bike that I took for long rides this summer when I needed 2 - 33oz bottles + the camelback, and had to go for a few refills too (it was a long, hot ride).

I've put the camelback away for the moment due to leaks, and not needed.

I think I found it harder to suck water from the camelback which was a pain.

I'm trying to push up my speed a bit, and noticed yesterday I had a habit of coasting whenever I took a swig from the water bottle. I suppose that is a bad habit I'll have to break, but perhaps it would be easier to keep pedalling with just the hose.
Old 09-10-15, 08:26 AM
echale3

Bikes: Gary Fisher Mamba (circa 1995 or so), 2012 KHS CX300

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a Camelbak for about 20 years now, one of the early models with the extra gear compartments and it's still going strong. I got it as a gift from one of my hunting buddies, and it's served me well in the field as well what I mostly use it for, which is to stay hydrated on longer bike rides. On hot days, being able to put a tray of ice cubes in the bladder and top it off with water is pretty sweet.

Speaking of water, I never put drink mix in it, just water, so at the end of the day I just rinse it out, clean the mouthpiece, hang it up to dry, and it's good to go.

If some roadies want to look down on me and think I'm being uncool for using it, that's fine, it's no skin off my nose. I ride for and by myself, not with or for anybody else, and I'm not concerned about somebody else's ideas about what's cool/uncool, or in fashion. I'm all about doing what works for me.
Old 09-10-15, 08:37 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
To me Camelbaks have too many nooks crannies and hoses for nasty little critters to grow. I only use stainless steel water bottles.
Old 09-10-15, 08:43 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I personally do not like them for a few reasons but I really do not care if anybody else uses them. I do not even think about it. I like the insulated bottles better but that is just a subjective opinion.
I do not like the back packs for mtb either. They sound great in theory but for my they seem restrictive. I find them to be hot and I also hate having to clean them. Even if you only use water in them, they still have to dry out properly or you will get mold in the bladder. Bottles are just easier for me. I also hate wearing gear on me when I exercise. It just annoys me.
Old 09-17-15, 10:35 AM
iridealone

Bikes: 1990 Cannondale SR600 3.0 Crit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live and ride daily in south Louisiana. It is hotter and more humid here than most other areas. The CB Mule works great for me. It carries fresh cold water with ice which is there to drink and also doubles as a body cooler on my back. The compartments carry snacks, I.d., knife, and whatever else one might need. I also carry two bottles filled with gator aid. We had a bunch of days with 100 degree plus heat index so the extra hassle of the CB makes sense to me. The extra weight just burns more calories which is good.
Old 09-18-15, 09:05 AM
Filerunner

Bikes: 2016 Trek 8.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me, it looks like somebody stuck an enema bag on their back.
Old 09-18-15, 09:26 AM
BluGnat
Happy Hack

Bikes: '14 Giant MTB and a 2018 BMC Alpenchallenge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting topic! I'm too new to have perceived any judgment, I guess (plus I'm too old to care)...I bought a cheap cycling pack off of Amazon, and my 100 oz Camelbak bladder fits just perfectly in the largest compartment (although the pack as advertised says it's for a 40 oz, ha). The pack is somewhat insulated, so I fill it with ice. I only do this for long rides, where access to water is questionable. Bonus - the more I drink, the longer I ride, the lighter it gets. The water bottles in the cages are good to have in the event a Nuun tablet is a good idea. Plus, I couldn't drink out of those in motion - I'm too clumsy, and the lid/spout gets covered with dust - yuck. In Colorado, keeping it clean isn't an issue - I empty it out completely after the ride, and hang it on one of those inserted frame things - the dry air here takes care of that real quick.
Old 09-18-15, 12:46 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Filerunner
To me, it looks like somebody stuck an enema bag on their back.
Well, the original invention was an IV bag in a white sock.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-07-16, 09:56 PM
exime

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started using a camelbak last summer because I thought it was convenient to have everything including water, food, and tools/emergencies in one bag and not needing a seat bag or water bottles. Especially since I drink a lot. Not having to reach down and take out a bottle is nice. I never had a problem with cleaning because I only used water and it never got moldy. If I needed caffeine then I had it before the ride. Maybe this summer I will experiment with putting cold tea inside of it. I thought I was normal until I found the online cycling community and learned what they really thought of me. But I'm not going to let that change my ways.

Last edited by exime; 04-07-16 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-08-16, 06:15 AM
dcwldct

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a camelback until I made the mistake of putting gatorade in it. That's when I realized that they were impossible to clean well. Nothing against anyone who uses them. They just seem less convenient than bottles for me.
Old 04-08-16, 06:41 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
For road rides, I don't need a camelback. Two bottle cages hold enough for my rides and if I do a real long ride, it is usually as an event and they have stops with drinks, bathrooms, etc. On the rare occasion that I need more hydration, a quick stop at a convenience store solves that problem.
On my mtb, the camelback is vital since the workout is more intense than a road ride, little breeze in the woods and no stores. I also use the compartments to store gels and food, maps. Mine holds 2 liters, and sometimes....it's not enough!
Old 04-08-16, 07:14 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It depends. How long is the ride? How warm is it? I sweat a lot, and I can suck down two 21 oz bottles before the 50 mile mark. I can run with anywhere from 2-5 bottles on my bike, and it may be a toss up at that point between 5 bottles or two bottles+camelbak.

RE: cleaning: if all you put in your bladder is water, Camelbak says you can go a long way by storing it full after use. I did a 3-4 week road trip this past summer (on a motorbike) and just kept the bladder full. No funk.

Once done, a tsp of baking soda and warm water, a shake, a refill to rinse, drain, then tossed it in the freezer.
Old 04-08-16, 07:37 AM
Calla lily

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I ride a xs hybrid with only 1 cage. I live in Florida. Anything over 20 miles in mild weather, and pretty much any length in the middle of summer, and either I use my camelbak (and bottle) or make sure I can stop for bottle refills. But usually water fountains or sinks in parks (I usually ride trails) are not tasty and hot in summer. I can empty both the camelbak and bottle on a 20 mile ride in August. I store the empty bladder in the freezer.
Old 04-08-16, 08:04 AM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use one on my XC tours! There's not always water in it. Only on hotter days and days where I know water wont be readily available. I use it as my day bag as well. Carries my phone, wallet, keys, snacks etc. Hasn't ever bothered my back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.