Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

New Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-17, 10:47 AM
Texico

Bikes: 2016 Gunnar Roadie, 2010 Cannondale RZ140 4, 2014 Raleigh Tamland 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Shoes

For my bike

I've been wanting to build up a more performance oriented wheelset for my Raleigh Tamland for a while now, and finally I decided on parts and finished it! This wheelset is to use for dedicated gravel while my current wheelset will be dedicated to commuting. Another reason why I wanted a new wheelset is that I bent my stock rear wheel late last year hopping a curb and the quick replacement Deore/Rhynolite wheel is 1400g (!!!) naked.

On to the new wheelset!

Rims: Velocity Aileron NMSW 28h front, 32h rear
Hubs: DT Swiss 350 Road Centerlock. Set up QR now but can go back to thru axle in the future
Spokes: DT Swiss Competition 14/15/14
Nipples: DT Swiss ProLock Brass (never using these again)
Pattern: 3x front and rear
Weight: ~1790 naked
Tires: Clement X'plor MSO 40mm

The wheels were easy to build for the most part. The only frustrating thing was the ProLock nipples. Bringing the spokes up to final tension caused the nipples to bind on the spokes, remedied by a drop of Triflow on the offenders.
So I've learned my lession. Only standard brass nipples for me in the future, but it was a worthwhile experience.

Pictures on the bike to come later.
Old 04-19-17, 12:34 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Texico
For my bike

I've been wanting to build up a more performance oriented wheelset for my Raleigh Tamland for a while now, and finally I decided on parts and finished it! This wheelset is to use for dedicated gravel while my current wheelset will be dedicated to commuting. Another reason why I wanted a new wheelset is that I bent my stock rear wheel late last year hopping a curb and the quick replacement Deore/Rhynolite wheel is 1400g (!!!) naked.

On to the new wheelset!

Rims: Velocity Aileron NMSW 28h front, 32h rear
Hubs: DT Swiss 350 Road Centerlock. Set up QR now but can go back to thru axle in the future
Spokes: DT Swiss Competition 14/15/14
Nipples: DT Swiss ProLock Brass (never using these again)
Pattern: 3x front and rear
Weight: ~1790 naked
Tires: Clement X'plor MSO 40mm

The wheels were easy to build for the most part. The only frustrating thing was the ProLock nipples. Bringing the spokes up to final tension caused the nipples to bind on the spokes, remedied by a drop of Triflow on the offenders.
So I've learned my lession. Only standard brass nipples for me in the future, but it was a worthwhile experience.

Pictures on the bike to come later.

Nice! One of the two things I would do to my Tamland right now if I had the money, the other being a power meter. Can't wait to see pics.
Old 04-20-17, 11:46 AM
Texico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a picture of the wheels on the bike. Just finished a 22 mile ride with friends that was a mixture of paved, gravel, and single track riding. They performed well! Took the abuse of some bigger rocks and roots and a little bit of deep mud too. No pings, so spokes were pre-stressed and tensioned just fine.

Old 04-20-17, 11:47 AM
Texico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts