Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anybody use a multi-sport watch?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anybody use a multi-sport watch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 05:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by speedlever
Hey, do any of you guys use the VAHR/other Garmin wearable alongside another device like an Edge computer? I found my old Edge 305 and it still works fine. Will I double up on info if I run both and link to Garmin Connect from both?

I plan to shoot the HR data from the VAHR to my Edge 305 in lieu of wearing the strap. Hope that's not hard to setup!
You have two choices to avoid that:
  1. Don't plug the Edge into a computer, so it never syncs. Just charge it from the wall, like your phone.
  2. Set up a second account on Garmin Connect, and then set Express up to sync your Edge to it. Then your VA will feed in your rides, hikes, runs, whatever, and your Edge will go off into a bike-only silo.
I'd just do #1. And if you're willing to keep the Edge charged, it's still useful as a display.
Old 08-09-17, 05:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

I use a Fenix 5X. Not much use for an Edge anymore.
Old 08-09-17, 06:08 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
My VAHR should arrive today. Of course just today I read that the VA3 is imminent! That sounds about right for me. sigh.

https://www.wareable.com/garmin/garm...ice-specs-9668
May be I'm missing something but where are its two buttons? Plus round screen? That's a departure from its current form factor...
Old 08-09-17, 09:58 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Symtex
On the vivoactive HR, You go to system, Sensor, HR monitor and you enable broadcast. now go to Edge and search for HRM sensor. It will pickup the watch. When your ride is done. You stop the broadcast. Simple as that. It takes me 5 sec to enable now before I start my ride.
Got the VAHR. Set it up, turned on broadcast (which locks it on the HR screen - I don't like that), go to the Edge 305, settings/system/accessories, HR is on, restart scan, and it never picks up the HR from the VAHR.

What am I doing wrong?

SW version says 3.3.
Old 08-09-17, 11:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

Is there a way to pair a 305 with a new HR sensor? Or is that what restarting the scan is?
Old 08-09-17, 11:56 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Is there a way to pair a 305 with a new HR sensor? Or is that what restarting the scan is?
Good question. That's what I was hoping that starting the scan would do. But I think it's an ANT device and I'll bet it doesn't do BT.

Something tells me I can't push the HR data to my Edge 305.
Old 08-10-17, 05:48 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I'm still using my first one...a Tom Tom Multisport Cardio. I have a Duotrap on my Trek and the Tom Tom pickups on frankenbike for cadence/speed inputs. Not as whizbang as some of the other units out there, but displays and collects HR and cadence, which was what I was after. Downloaded to my computer, it displays route, averages, and graphs pertinent info as well. I usually use a chest band, but it works as a wrist unit too.
Old 08-10-17, 07:44 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
  1. Don't plug the Edge into a computer, so it never syncs. Just charge it from the wall, like your phone.
  2. Set up a second account on Garmin Connect, and then set Express up to sync your Edge to it. Then your VA will feed in your rides, hikes, runs, whatever, and your Edge will go off into a bike-only silo.
I'd just do #1. And if you're willing to keep the Edge charged, it's still useful as a display.
I'm also inclined to do #1. Unfortunately, one of my primary reasons for getting the VAHR was to replace the HR strap. I thought I could send the VAHR data directly to my Edge 305.

I may have misjudged what the VAHR can do and the money I spent might have been better spent on upgrading my Edge 305. I'll give it a few days before I make a decision whether or not to keep the VAHR.

As a side note for other potential purchasers, I bought the extra charging/data clip not realizing it came with one in the box. I never noticed the box contents included that, so I could have saved another $20 had I known that.
Old 08-10-17, 07:46 AM
Symtex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good question. That's what I was hoping that starting the scan would do. But I think it's an ANT device and I'll bet it doesn't do BT.

It's an ANT+ broadcast.
Old 08-10-17, 07:47 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It's an ANT+ broadcast.
So in other words, I cannot link the VAHR to my Edge 305? Which I what I asked earlier and was told I could link them. So I am confused.
Old 08-10-17, 07:48 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Option 3: Uninstall Garmin Express on the computer.

VAHR transmits in Ant+. This works on my Edge 500 that is not BT capable.
Old 08-10-17, 07:50 AM
Symtex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So in other words, I cannot link the VAHR to my Edge 305? Which I what I asked earlier and was told I could link them. So I am confused.
if you can afford it, keep the VAHR and get an Edge 520 or something. Just so you know, the VAHR OHRM is very inaccurate. At least in my case. It reads about 20-30bpm lower on intense workout and reads about 10bpm lower while resting.
Old 08-10-17, 07:51 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79

VAHR transmits in Ant+. This works on my Edge 500 that is not BT capable.
Any idea why I am not able to get the HR to show on my Edge 305? I get a blinking X on my HR indicator on my Edge 305.
Old 08-10-17, 07:53 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
if you can afford it, keep the VAHR and get an Edge 520 or something. Just so you know, the VAHR OHRM is very inaccurate. At least in my case. It reads about 20-30bpm lower on intense workout and reads about 10bpm lower while resting.
I understand. I am willing to give up some degree of accuracy for convenience. And wearing a HR strap is not the end of the world. But it WAS a good excuse to buy another gadget. If only I could get it to work!
Old 08-10-17, 07:54 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Mines been dead on accurate compared to a Wahoo Tickr chest strap during hard efforts and the doctor's office resting.

Any idea why I am not able to get the HR to show on my Edge 305? I get a blinking X on my HR indicator on my Edge 305.
Nope. User error?
Old 08-10-17, 07:55 AM
Symtex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand. I am willing to give up some degree of accuracy for convenience. And wearing a HR strap is not the end of the world. But it WAS a good excuse to buy another gadget. If only I could get it to work!
According to Garmin website. Your 305 is ANT+ compatible. I would call garmin support to make it work.
Old 08-10-17, 07:57 AM
Symtex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mines been dead on accurate compared to a Wahoo Tickr chest strap during hard efforts and the doctor's office resting.
That's why I said "in my case". I am wearing as high as I can on the wrist too. It just doesn't work with my skin complexion ? I understand how inaccurate it is when I ride so I know when it says 150bpm, I am 170bpm. I am only use the VAHR when I commute in the morning, it's a very low effort kinda ride. When I go serious, I put on the Garmin strap.
Old 08-10-17, 07:59 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

It just doesn't work with my skin complexion ? .
That's my guess. I'm very fair skinned. Especially under the watch!
Old 08-10-17, 08:02 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Nope. User error?
Very possible. I've tried to follow the instructions to the best of my ability. We can go from there.

But hold on, I just got a wrist buzz and the VAHR is telling me it's installing an update. Wonder if that will fix it? Or break something else?

Says I just got updated to v 3.90. Let's see what happens....

... no change. After starting the HR broadcast on the VAHR, then going through settings/accessories on the 305, I made sure HR was enabled and started a scan. Still no HR indication on the 305... just a blinking X on the HR symbol.

So if you have any idea what I may have done wrong, please speak up.
Old 08-10-17, 08:04 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
According to Garmin website. Your 305 is ANT+ compatible. I would call garmin support to make it work.
Yep. Sounds like that's my best option to resolve the issue. Thanks.

Edit: just called Garmin support and find that the Edge 305 is too old and will not connect with the VAHR. I need a newer unit such as the Edge 500 in order to get my VAHR data on the Edge product. Even though they are all ANT+ devices, apparently the protocols changed along the way and the Edge 305 would need a FW update... which is not gonna happen.

Rats.

Last edited by speedlever; 08-10-17 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-10-17, 08:36 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Yep. Sounds like that's my best option to resolve the issue. Thanks.

Edit: just called Garmin support and find that the Edge 305 is too old and will not connect with the VAHR. I need a newer unit such as the Edge 500 in order to get my VAHR data on the Edge product. Even though they are all ANT+ devices, apparently the protocols changed along the way and the Edge 305 would need a FW update... which is not gonna happen.

Rats.
Lame.

I'd still use both and just not have HR display on the 305. Keep HR as the main display on the VAHR if you want in ride analysis. It has a HR screen that has a dial that shows what zone you're in with the actual rate in the middle. It's nice for a quick glance.
Old 08-10-17, 08:37 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Similar to this only rectangular.
Old 08-10-17, 09:52 AM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the VA 3 is about to come out. the VAs are fine if you just need to track your rides. it's missing the ability to navigate turn by turn and import routes.
Old 08-11-17, 12:13 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Little bit frustrated right now. I was tied up all day yesterday and all this morning on stuff I had to do, and now that I have some free time, rain is imminent... so I haven't yet been able to try out the VAHR on a ride yet. And rain is forecast for the next 4 or 5 days to boot.

And when I do, I think I'll put on the HR strap and compare HR numbers between the Edge 305 and the VAHR, just out of curiosity.
Old 08-11-17, 12:15 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by xodondum
the VA 3 is about to come out. the VAs are fine if you just need to track your rides. it's missing the ability to navigate turn by turn and import routes.
Yeah, I know about the VA3. Navigating and importing routes are unimportant to me. I basically know where I'm going and the destination is just an excuse to get out there and find a variety of ways to get there, so I prefer a route tracker more than navigating a route.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.