Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Suggestion for Zwift

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Suggestion for Zwift

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 02:28 PM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Suggestion for Zwift

I've put in about 500 miles since I started with Zwift and it has really motivated me to ride during the cold months. They have that crazy music playing until you actually start your ride but it does seem to me that they could also add some kind of menu of music one could select from for ex. metal, pop, classical, music from old TDF videos etc. About we get is the sound of water coming down from a waterfall when passing by and very little else, otherwise, it pretty quiet. Whatya think?
Old 03-22-18, 08:55 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
byob (bring your own boombox)

I use my iphone w/ a bluetooth speaker to play whatever strikes me (zwift is on a laptop).
Old 03-23-18, 11:32 AM
eric1971

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
I use Alexa. It is much easier to tell her what to play, then to fiddle with something while I am Zwifting.
Old 03-23-18, 11:38 AM
don59047

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Infinito CV Ultegra, Norco Fluid 1 HT 27.5+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I play a Pandora station that fits my current mood. The sound bar I use on my TV can accept bluetooth audio from my phone and will override the audio coming from the AppleTV were I am running the Zwift app.

The issue Zwift has is that they would have to pay royalties on any mainstream music they stream. If for the moment we assume that they could get the same licensing rights as someone like Pandora this could add several dollars a month per subscriber in their costs. (This is all a oversimplification of music licensing, but should give you a general idea.)

The best approach for Zwift might be to integrate someone like Pandora or Spotify to their service. I know Spotify offers an integration SDK. Not clear if it could be applied here. Would be surprised if the Zwift folks have not thought along theses lines.
Old 03-23-18, 12:56 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
I turned off that music ages ago, sometimes keep the Zwift world sound going (for realism) but just stream Pandora over bluetooth.
Old 03-23-18, 12:56 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by don59047
I play a Pandora station that fits my current mood. The sound bar I use on my TV can accept bluetooth audio from my phone and will override the audio coming from the AppleTV were I am running the Zwift app.

The issue Zwift has is that they would have to pay royalties on any mainstream music they stream. If for the moment we assume that they could get the same licensing rights as someone like Pandora this could add several dollars a month per subscriber in their costs. (This is all a oversimplification of music licensing, but should give you a general idea.)

The best approach for Zwift might be to integrate someone like Pandora or Spotify to their service. I know Spotify offers an integration SDK. Not clear if it could be applied here. Would be surprised if the Zwift folks have not thought along theses lines.
but seriously, why would they? Anyone interested in music guaranteed already has their preferred solution.

zwift can add almost zero value to this. it's not like I need to have the other riders singing my favorite songs to me as they pass me in zwift lol
Old 03-23-18, 01:06 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Agree they know nobody is listening to their music. I too go the Bluetooth speaker way as well.
Old 03-23-18, 01:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I kinda dig it in its own cheesy way. It says "It's time to ride (virtually, not for real, of course)!"
Old 03-23-18, 02:25 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
I need to have the other riders singing my favorite songs to me as they pass me in zwift lol
OK, that would bring a whole new level of awesome to group rides.

Showtunes!
Old 03-23-18, 03:24 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
they could also add some kind of menu of music one could select from for ex. metal, pop, classical, music from old TDF videos etc.

Zwift would have to obtain the appropriate type of commercial use license for whatever they wanted to make available to their users.

Commercial use licensing can be complex and expensive.

Zwift can't just buy a song on iTunes or Google Music and play it for their customers.

-Tim-
Old 03-24-18, 06:27 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Agree they know nobody is listening to their music. I too go the Bluetooth speaker way as well.
I use the ZML on my phone. I do have a pretty nice bluetooth speaker but would I be able to go out of Zwift to the music list, back and forth without losing my ride?
Old 03-24-18, 06:30 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Zwift would have to obtain the appropriate type of commercial use license for whatever they wanted to make available to their users.

Commercial use licensing can be complex and expensive.

Zwift can't just buy a song on iTunes or Google Music and play it for their customers.

-Tim-
That's true, I hadn't thought about that. Would be nice if they could add some more natural sounds though for ex. birds, rednecks, car horns, dinosaurs etc. on some of the routes though. Sometimes it's just completely devoid of any sound.
Old 03-24-18, 07:20 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
I use the ZML on my phone. I do have a pretty nice bluetooth speaker but would I be able to go out of Zwift to the music list, back and forth without losing my ride?
I will have to let someone else answer this. I use the actual program off my iPad and the music I get off my iPhone. So I don’t know I have never tried to both off one device.
Old 03-26-18, 05:26 AM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Pc - turn off zwift’s startup music with this easy hack

From Zwift Insider (they have lots of good Zwift info):

Ever wish you could disable the startup music Zwift plays before you begin riding?

Some people find it annoying to hear the same song every time they begin their ride. Others simply don’t want any music because they’re already listening to tunes or watching TV. Here’s how you can turn off the startup song:
  • Get to the right location: On PC, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Zwift\data\Audio\PC
  • Rename file “777200017.wem” to “777200017.tmp”. This file contains your startup song. Changing the extension to .tmp allows you to keep the file on your computer in case you want it back, but prevents Zwift from finding and playing it on startup.
Thanks to “James C” over on the Zwift Community Forums for posting tip!
There's also Mac info:
On Mac, go to Mac HD\Users\Account Name (specific to your setup)\Library\Application Support\Zwift\data\Audio\OSX
Old 03-26-18, 06:34 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Mute + own music.

But I do have a suggestion (thread highjack in 3... 2...) for Zwift: "Stationary Trainer Mode." You know when you're sitting on the side of the road waiting - for the group ride, race, your buddies to join - wouldn't it be nice to be warming up... without having to end the ride, discard the ride, close the app, relaunch the app... Your avatar could be sitting there on a Kickr (or smart trainer you pick in your profile) until you "release" it.
Old 03-27-18, 01:21 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Mute + own music.

But I do have a suggestion (thread highjack in 3... 2...) for Zwift: "Stationary Trainer Mode." You know when you're sitting on the side of the road waiting - for the group ride, race, your buddies to join - wouldn't it be nice to be warming up... without having to end the ride, discard the ride, close the app, relaunch the app... Your avatar could be sitting there on a Kickr (or smart trainer you pick in your profile) until you "release" it.

I didn't take that to be a highjack, only a suggestion in addition to the one I made. I think yours is a good suggestion that I hadn't thought of. Also, no fun to join a buddy on your list only to pop in while they are climbing a 15% grade. No fun when you haven't had time to warm up some but you never know where you'll join them at on their ride.
Old 03-27-18, 06:47 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Use ZwiftMap and you'll know the position of Zwifters you follow on the map (available free for both macOS and Windows).
Old 03-28-18, 06:37 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
Use ZwiftMap and you'll know the position of Zwifters you follow on the map (available free for both macOS and Windows).

That's pretty cool but I don't think I'll be able to take advantage of all those features as I don't Zwift through a computer but rather through Apple TV.
Old 03-28-18, 09:17 AM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeap, I mute it and listen to my own stuff or just listen to something educational / enlightening from youtube