Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Rowan

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 08:59 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
Smells can be one of the strongest memory links there are.
I don't know that I'd recommend taking in all the bike clothes you can't get the stink out of, though.

Here's hoping that Rowan will continue to improve, and praying for strength for Machka.
Old 05-04-18, 09:09 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I don't know that I'd recommend taking in all the bike clothes you can't get the stink out of, though.

Here's hoping that Rowan will continue to improve, and praying for strength for Machka.
Hey, I kind of like that idea. Cycling was a big part of his life. I wonder if some sort of scent (chain lube?) associated with bikes would be a good trigger?
Old 05-04-18, 04:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I don't "belong" in 50+ but I've been checking on this thread pretty much every day since hearing of the accident. Though not the praying type, I'm pulling for you two.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-04-18, 08:51 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Rowan Update

Since last time I posted ...
• Rowan really seems to recognise me now!
• He is eating and drinking. Just liquids and purees at this point, but it’s eating.
• He has dexterity in his hands. He can use a spoon. He also popped the top off his custard container, holds his teacup, unscrews the top off his water and juice bottles and screws them back on again. They told me he'd have to relearn all that stuff, but nope ... he just knows.
• He has reasonable core strength and is able to sit on the edge of his bed without support now, and physio is getting him to stand too.
• He appears to remember the music I play, and wiggles his feet or taps his fingers to the beat.
• He’s got his sense of humour.
• He talks! A lot!
• He is regaining long-term memories in bits and pieces.

And regarding cycling ... I told physio that we're into cycling so they found one of those under-desk pedal things and got him to do a bit of that. While he was doing that, they asked him what kind of cycling he does: mountain biking or road. "Road" he said.

There are still a number of challenges. He tires very quickly which they say is normal. He's still reconnecting past memories, vocabulary, etc. which is a bit of a bumpy road, and he's still in PTA because he has limited short-term memory.

But one step at a time ... and yesterday I told him that, and then asked him "How do you eat an elephant?" He surprised me by replying, "One bite at a time".

That's how we approach our long distance rides, and we say that to each other when the going gets challenging. In fact, the first time I came across that saying was when I was preparing for the Paris-Brest-Paris in 2003. I read the following article ... and I think he read it too.

"Eating an Elephant" by Ron Himschoot

So ... we're "eating an elephant" here.

Last edited by Machka; 05-05-18 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-04-18, 09:13 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
KEEP AWAY FROM THE ELEPHANTS!!!!

Did you see this post?
https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...d-cyclist.html

It sounds like the two of you are making excellent progress. Are you still talking about getting Rowan discharged into a neuro rehab facility for the short term?

Does your local community have an adaptive cycling program? Rental/loaner trikes, tandems, Tandem Recumbent Trikes, Bilenky Tandems, Handcycles, etc?

If not, perhaps you could find someone interested in helping you get one started.
Old 05-04-18, 09:22 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by CliffordK
KEEP AWAY FROM THE ELEPHANTS!!!!

Did you see this post?
https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...d-cyclist.html

It sounds like the two of you are making excellent progress. Are you still talking about getting Rowan discharged into a neuro rehab facility for the short term?

Does your local community have an adaptive cycling program? Rental/loaner trikes, tandems, Tandem Recumbent Trikes, Bilenky Tandems, Handcycles, etc?

If not, perhaps you could find someone interested in helping you get one started.
No I hadn't ... I'll have to take a look at it.

Rowan will be going to the Rehab Unit as soon as a spot opens up. Meanwhile, he's got 3 different physio teams working with him and I think, starting next week, they'll be less conservative in their approach.

June 1 is the first day of winter here, so it will be a while yet before we will need to look at alternative outdoor cycling options. Even I am considering signing up with Zwift for the winter! But we'll see where he is come spring.
Old 05-04-18, 09:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Machka, I read every one of your posts about Rowan and continue to pray.
Old 05-04-18, 11:46 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,524 Times in 3,026 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Machka, I read every one of your posts about Rowan and continue to pray.
Same here
Old 05-05-18, 04:17 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Thank you everyone! I really do appreciate all the thoughts and prayers.

This past week was a really heavy, exhausting one for me. Long, long days with work, university, meetings, the flu shot, lot of walking (utility), and the hospital.

But it was a good week, because it has been a week of progress.
Old 05-05-18, 06:07 AM
yves845

Bikes: Santos travelmaster2.8 ; Brompton titanium ; R&M Load speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
From an exterior and objective point of view (I'm a doc), Rowan is recovering very fast. Tiredness is strictly normal for both of you and will persist possibly a long time.
I'm absolutely certain that there's no need to search for "adaptative cycling" stuff. He will be back on his regular bike well before your spring down under. If needed,
get ready to buy a pair of winter studded tyres : climate is changing !
all the best for you both
Yves
Old 05-05-18, 06:25 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Since last time I posted ...
• Rowan really seems to recognise me now!
• He is eating and drinking. Just liquids and purees at this point, but it’s eating.
• He has dexterity in his hands. He can use a spoon. He also popped the top off his custard container, holds his teacup, unscrews the top off his water and juice bottles and screws them back on again. They told me he'd have to relearn all that stuff, but nope ... he just knows.
• He has reasonable core strength and is able to sit on the edge of his bed without support now, and physio is getting him to stand too.
• He appears to remember the music I play, and wiggles his feet or taps his fingers to the beat.
• He’s got his sense of humour.
• He talks! A lot!
• He is regaining long-term memories in bits and pieces.

And regarding cycling ... I told physio that we're into cycling so they found one of those under-desk pedal things and got him to do a bit of that. While he was doing that, they asked him what kind of cycling he does: mountain biking or road. "Road" he said.

There are still a number of challenges. He tires very quickly which they say is normal. He's still reconnecting past memories, vocabulary, etc. which is a bit of a bumpy road, and he's still in PTA because he has limited short-term memory.

But one step at a time ... and yesterday I told him that, and then asked him "How do you eat an elephant?" He surprised me by replying, "One bite at a time".

That's how we approach our long distance rides, and we say that to each other when the going gets challenging. In fact, the first time I came across that saying was when I was preparing for the Paris-Brest-Paris in 2003. I read the following article ... and I think he read it too.

"Eating an Elephant" by Ron Himschoot

So ... we're "eating an elephant" here.
That sounds great !
I hope his recovery keeps going this fast. .
Old 05-05-18, 07:08 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
"One bite at a time"...Dammit, I teared up again! Continued success.
Old 05-05-18, 10:34 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by yves845
From an exterior and objective point of view (I'm a doc), Rowan is recovering very fast. Tiredness is strictly normal for both of you and will persist possibly a long time.
I'm absolutely certain that there's no need to search for "adaptative cycling" stuff. He will be back on his regular bike well before your spring down under. If needed,
get ready to buy a pair of winter studded tyres : climate is changing !
all the best for you both
Yves
Probably right. I hadn't thought about taking a winter break, so an exercycle may be what is needed.

I wasn't thinking necessarily of long term, but rather short term during recovery, getting outside and moving some. And, of course, there will be quite a bit of de-training that will have to be reversed.

Changes could be rapid, so while one system might be good one week, something entirely different might be needed the next.
Old 05-05-18, 02:18 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
All good news.

I don't know if it is of any use to you, but there is a woman in the U.K. recovering from a hemoragic stroke - they rigged up some sort of cycling thing (a desk bike plus some power pedals) so she can ride Zwift from her hospital room.

https://zwiftinsider.com/rachael-elliot-update/

Wishing the two of you all the best.
Old 05-05-18, 03:18 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Those are really huge improvements!! Woo hoo!!!
Old 05-05-18, 11:26 PM
md11mx

Bikes: Devinci Oslo

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am so pleased to hear of the progress! As someone who has had 21 concussions I was/am concerned for you two.
Cheers,
David
Way up North

Last edited by md11mx; 05-05-18 at 11:27 PM. Reason: miss spelled word
Old 05-06-18, 03:57 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Following your updates and pleased to see progress. You are both in my thoughts.
Old 05-06-18, 08:47 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
@machka:

Tell Rowan that we are all thinking of him and wishing him continued speedy recovery
Old 05-06-18, 11:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Machka:

He knows you are his wife...

And a damned good one at that.

Keep your chin up!
Old 05-07-18, 01:29 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Machka, so beautiful to hear if Rowan’s progress. Teary eyes for me reading the updates. I’ll say More prayers, and you keep working on that elephant!
Old 05-07-18, 01:46 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by md11mx
I am so pleased to hear of the progress! As someone who has had 21 concussions I was/am concerned for you two.
Cheers,
David
Way up North
21 concussions?

Professional sports?

It sounds like it is time to make some changes. There is a growing body of research about the damage caused by repeated head trauma in Soccer, American football, and boxing.
Old 05-07-18, 01:48 PM
CliffordK

Machka,

I'm glad things are progressing, albeit seemingly slowly.

Do you want to give us a brief description of what happened?

Have you sold all the ladders around the house yet?
Old 05-07-18, 03:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Great news! Keep in mind every day for Rowan means learning far more than we ever did in a week of school. It's exhausting and will stay so for a long while. Anything you/he can find that is completely familiar to him will be a Godsend for him simply because it means a little time away from the constant barrage of the new. (You will have to read this by Rowan's actions. We have no idea what is new or hard for him. I could ride a bike when I could neither walk straight or tie my shoes.)

And, as always, you know where to find me when things get too much.

Ben
Old 05-07-18, 06:06 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I am a head injury survivor, so I particularly identify with Rowan. Tell him that someone far away, whom he never meant, is rooting for him.
Old 05-08-18, 04:30 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Rowan Update

Thanks again to everyone. Your support is really encouraging!

OK, first of all, Rowan is still in Post Traumatic Amnesia ... and he still has a way to go, especially with short-term memories and building up his strength again ... but ...

I had a chat with his Occupational Therapist who told me that in the last 2-3 days, Rowan has taken a leap forward.

Rowan ...
  • has started walking. He is walking with support, he's walking a short distance, and he gets tired easily ... but he is up and walking!
  • is eating and drinking normal meals, and he's hungry.
  • has dexterity in his hands. I mentioned earlier that he can use a spoon etc. Today we found out he can use a pencil too. Again, they mentioned he'd have to relearn that, but nope ... he's writing.
  • is able to read. He's probably not reading or writing War & Peace just yet, but it's a start.
  • is regaining long-term memories in random chunks here and there.
  • does recognise me now! And recognises/remembers a bunch of other people as well.

He has been handed over from the Neuro Ward Therapist teams to the Rehab Unit Therapist teams, but is still in the Neuro Ward until a spot opens up in Rehab. The minute that happens, he'll go there.

Today, I asked him if he remembered Bikeforums, and he did! I told him about about all your thoughts and prayers ... he was touched and thought that was so kind of you all. He thanks you all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.