Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-18, 07:00 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I broke my thumb when I was in seventh or eighth grade. Fortunately it was in my left hand. I still had full ability to use my other fingers, so I don’t remember it being that bad.
Old 05-10-18, 07:50 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Does anybody else hate this new board?
Yes, I'm not in love. Part of that is just not liking change, but part of it is actual issues. It's slower, and on mobile it doesn't take you to the first unread post by default, which is really annoying. The color scheme is also a bit generic, and some of the font choices and sizes and colors make it hard to read.
Old 05-10-18, 08:24 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I'm starting to get used to it. the mentions/quote notifications still seem broken, which is annoying.
Old 05-10-18, 08:31 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I broke my thumb when I was in seventh or eighth grade. Fortunately it was in my left hand. I still had full ability to use my other fingers, so I don’t remember it being that bad.

not a lot of jars in your life
Old 05-10-18, 10:09 AM
Flatballer
No matches

not a lot of jars in your life
13 year olds get other people to open jars for them.
Old 05-10-18, 11:43 AM
topflightpro

I spend a lot of time attending conferences and working our conference booth. It would routinely wreck my back. After a conference in February, I was hurting a lot.

So I started using my standing desk more, slowly building up from a couple hours a day to almost all day now.

I had to work a conference on Monday and Tuesday of this week. I didn't even notice I had been standing so long. My plan seemed to have worked.

Still, I find standing and working a bit odd.
Old 05-10-18, 05:41 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I broke my right hand once - it was an awkward month.
Old 05-10-18, 06:35 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked 3,151 Times in 1,658 Posts
lol
Old 05-11-18, 10:51 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Uncharacteristically frustrated by my thumb. Cast came off, but the fracture still needs some healing. Worse is I don't have much range of motion (read:any) and it hurts when it pressure is applied from certain angles (like where hands meet bars or hoods). I had really really planned on doing a short hill climb Saturday to defend last year's win. But form isn't what it was, it's 3 hours driving each way for a 15 min race, and well, I'm more likely to get dropped from the lead group than win. Plus I'm in the no fall zone. My luck a junior's mom would take me out on the way to the porta-potty. Gotta head to OT and another month on the shelf. Last five weeks have learned me that you need a fully functioning thumb to get through it all. Sorry, that might have come out more upbeat than I feel! Drove out to the big lake with the dogs last night to watch water skiers and get ice cream. Dogs got kid sized soft serve. I had vanilla peanut butter cup. Guess I'm really not doing a hill climb this weekend. Sorry, Diary, this was CDR long. I'll do better next time.
that wasn't even cdr into paragraph long, and no mention of cat 3 race tactics or sprinting
Old 05-11-18, 10:57 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

lol
Old 05-11-18, 11:49 AM
himespau 

After having spent the morning applying glyphosate to our experimental test patches, I guess you can now add hemp (and kenaf) farmer to the list of jobs I've had over the years (a list that also includes baby formula taste tester, corn detassler, and detailer at a used airplane dealership among more normal sounding jobs). If you want to be mean, I suppose you could also now add "tool of Monsanto" to that list too (but I'd prefer you didn't because I didn't choose Roundup; it's just what the university grounds crew had that they were willing to give me for free).

Also sort of interacted with the dude who got caught cutting (and apparently smoking) leaves from our plot last year. From what I hear, he told the guy who caught him that it was the smoothest, most mellow stuff he'd ever smoked. Must not have noticed the signs specifically saying it wasn't weed and had no THC.
Old 05-11-18, 11:57 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
that wasn't even cdr into paragraph long, and no mention of cat 3 race tactics or sprinting
... or (a) video(s)
Old 05-11-18, 12:12 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by himespau
Also sort of interacted with the dude who got caught cutting (and apparently smoking) leaves from our plot last year. From what I hear, he told the guy who caught him that it was the smoothest, most mellow stuff he'd ever smoked. Must not have noticed the signs specifically saying it wasn't weed and had no THC.
Funny. My company grows weed. Lots of it. But apparently it's been described as "weak s...."
Old 05-11-18, 12:20 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I went to college in Humboldt Co. CA (at the CSU up there). Did lots of odd-jobs and manual labor for friends/growers in town doing high quality indoor and scaled production up "on the hill." Most of the stuff went out of state any ways so legalization hasn't fundamentally changed the industry overnight.
Old 05-11-18, 12:22 PM
himespau 

As a state that grows a lot of tobacco (I believe we grow the most, but some argue about that) at a time when smoking is decreasing (and we have lots of other land that we can't use for growing food crops as it is too contaminated with heavy metals after it was made by blowing the tops off mountains and filling in valleys), we're trying to show that help can be a viable non-food crop (including as a renewable energy source) - my main work is on the microbiology side of things.

I personally, would prefer that, as a state, we just say **** it and using our expertise at growing leafy, smokable products to directly grow pot and get some tax revenue from it at a time when we're short on budgets even though I don't smoke, but that would be straying into P&R territory.

I was just sort of nervous when this guy on the street started shouting to us about starting to grow our crops again until one of the guys I was with explained about how he caught him last year smoking the hemp.
Old 05-11-18, 03:37 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I have had some really stupid renters in the past, but what happened today takes the cake. They called and said that the AC isn't working and it has been hot recently in Gainesville, Florida, so they will want it working. It turns out that the thermostat has been ripped from the wall and nobody knows what happened to it.
Old 05-11-18, 04:46 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by himespau
From what I hear, he told the guy who caught him that it was the smoothest, most mellow stuff he'd ever smoked. Must not have noticed the signs specifically saying it wasn't weed and had no THC.
To be fair, that's exactly the sign I'd put up if I was actually growing weed.
Old 05-11-18, 07:37 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
wow I absolutely cannot stand this format. I have no idea where gsteinb mentioned his not very long post, the remark after it, etc. I cannot find it without spending a lot of time, I spent literally 3x less time typing this up as I spent unsuccessfully finding the posts.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-11-18, 07:39 PM
carpediemracing 

SInce I'm posting blind (I don't remember what I've posted and cannot scroll up easily to find them) I'll mention something new.

Today I drove a kei car (tiny Japanese car). Stick, right hand drive, turbo.

The only other vehicle I drove today at work was a cherry picker van.

Nice variety.

How the hell do I post this stupid thing I just wrote. This is reedonculous.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-11-18, 09:38 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
no idea what ^^ is going on about. the forums look pretty much the same to me.
Old 05-12-18, 10:43 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Ygduf
no idea what ^^ is going on about. the forums look pretty much the same to me.
Since the reskin.

I've now disabled infinite scroll (which is when pages keep loading more content forever) as well as whatever else I could disable. This has returned it to the prior set up.

Before there was a bar at the bottom, with thread post pages (First/Prev/numbers/Next/Last) that covered up buttons like "Submit Reply". However if you clicked on Prev/numbers/Next it would simply load more posts, not actually "go to the next page". You'd end up with 10-20-30+ posts on one page, with a tiny scroll bar to the right. (Reminds me of Facebook, as posts load, or Yahoo).

For a number of reasons I've disabled scrolling on the touchpad/mouse so as multiple posts loaded (so maybe 15-20 posts in this thread) when I go to scroll down a post it actually drops 10 or 20.

What would happen is I'd try and scroll say 1/4 of a page because the page would load 4 posts, and I want to scroll down to the next post (aka one post). But since the page is loading more posts constantly, my scrolling 1/4 page would move me 5 or more posts because now the page had 20 posts or whatever much higher number. I'd scroll up, say, 1/4 page, but now those 20 posts are 30 posts, so scrolling up would move me up 7 or 8 posts, zooming past the post I wanted to see.
Old 05-14-18, 12:39 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm saying they look basically the same to me. only thing really missing is the link to the general 33 forum at the end of the scroll.
Old 05-14-18, 08:46 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
MTB racing forum is dead.

Anyone have setup tips? Signed up for my first xc race this weekend. 3 laps, 23.4 mi. Should be about 76*F. Do they usually do feeds at races like this? Should I change tire pressure / sus pressure / rebound? Longer stem?
Old 05-14-18, 09:55 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Sounds fun, let us know how it goes!

I have nothing useful to offer, but would like to add that I will be doing my first xc race a little later this month as well
Old 05-14-18, 10:50 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,038 Times in 4,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
MTB racing forum is dead.

Anyone have setup tips? Signed up for my first xc race this weekend. 3 laps, 23.4 mi. Should be about 76*F. Do they usually do feeds at races like this? Should I change tire pressure / sus pressure / rebound? Longer stem?
I don't know about the feeds but I would think you would at least get a bottle handed up. I would also think you shouldn't change your set-up if you are comfortable with the bike. Unless you usually ride all-mountain and the race is smooth, you should probably stick with what you know works for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.