Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need help identifying these Rigida rims

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Need help identifying these Rigida rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 10:50 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,392 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Thanks @steelbikeguy excellent info

The VAR tool is actually a bead jack/tire jack as well, you just need to remove the inner lever. It always worked for most (not all) of my needs. It doesn't allow you to get the leverage of the Kool Stop or Bike Hand Variations, so risk of damaging your rim is reduced (along with the effectiveness, but I prefer no-damage-ness over effectiveness).
True.... the center piece of the Var tool must be removed in order to use it as a tire jack. The center piece is just a tire lever. It's relatively rare to see the tool shown with these two parts separated....

(the links to the image keep breaking, so here's the url for the image...
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4182/3...3f83dd_z_d.jpg )

I can't imagine what it would take to damage a rim with any of these tools. I can, however, imagine what it is like to not be able to get a tire on a rim, and I'm happy to say that I've had better results with the Kool Stop and the Rose Bikes tool than the Var. I seem to have too many oversize rims, from the Sun CR-18 to the Torelli Master to the Ambrosio 19 Extra.

Seems nobody makes things in-house anymore, I can't seem to find any other place selling the Rose tool unbranded. Weird. I'd love to see it in action, I'm having a hard time trying to understand all the functions.
It's definitely not intuitive! I've made a scan of the instructions. It is unique because the tool is positioned within the wheel (i.e. under the rim) when it is used. This means you can't just slide it along the rim when moving from position to position, because it runs into the adjacent spokes.

(the link to the image has broken twice, so here's the url for the image...
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7350/2...06e943_z_d.jpg )

Steve in Peoria

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 07-17-18 at 02:16 PM. Reason: restore the broken links for the photos, which then promptly broke. Inserted url's instead.
Old 07-17-18, 10:56 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by madpogue
Hmm, so what (functionally) distinguishes a "tire jack" from a "tire lever"?
I don't know that I've seen a formal definition, but my understanding is that a tire lever is usually for removing a tire bead from the rim, while the tire jack is for lifting the bead over the rim (i.e. installing the tire).

Like others, I've used levers to lift the bead over the rim during tire installation. When the tire is a very tight fit on the rim, however, this risks pinching the inner tube (been there, done that). The use of a tire jack avoids that problem.

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-17-18, 01:58 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Have you ever had issues with the short hinged part ("D") causing pinch damage on the tube? Maybe it's more rounded than it appears on the picture here, where it comes in contract with the rim to slide the bead up.

Seems like this would work really well with more-aero rims like Sun Mistral and Wolber TX Profil. Does it work well with boxed shape rims with a short sidewall/braking surface?

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
It's definitely not intuitive! I've made a scan of the instructions. It is unique because the tool is positioned within the wheel (i.e. under the rim) when it is used. This means you can't just slide it along the rim when moving from position to position, because it runs into the adjacent spokes.

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-17-18, 02:04 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Hmm, so what (functionally) distinguishes a "tire jack" from a "tire lever"?
Best logical guess - at most basic level, a lever is a one-piece simple machine used to lever-age against something, jack usually being a 2+ piece (hinged) unit used to apply leverage in lifting?
Old 07-17-18, 02:25 PM
steelbikeguy

Have you ever had issues with the short hinged part ("D") causing pinch damage on the tube? Maybe it's more rounded than it appears on the picture here, where it comes in contract with the rim to slide the bead up.

Seems like this would work really well with more-aero rims like Sun Mistral and Wolber TX Profil. Does it work well with boxed shape rims with a short sidewall/braking surface?
the Torelli Master and Ambrosio 19 Extra rims are 20 to 30 years old and have a very traditional box shape. No problems with the Rose tire jack/lever.

Curiously, the only aero rims I have are some Velocity Aeroheats, and I've never had any trouble getting a tire on them.

Steve in Peoria