Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Need recommendations 6'3 370lbs back problems.

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 07-18-18, 07:49 PM
Nicksw81

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all. Getting back into bike riding for weight loss and my bike was stolen today so I am researching new bikes. Started at 430lbs in January riding a 2006-7 specialized hard rock pro disc with heavy wheels and road tires. Currently I am at 360lb and need to get a new bike. I am located near lincoln ne and am willing to go to omaha if need be. My goal is distance but not competition. I will not be doing any hard offroad ever. I have herniated discs in my lower back that I have to be careful of. I need to keep my overall budget including beefups to somewhere in the 1500-1750 range and would like this to be a build or complete bike that can be rebuilt and used for years to come. Please ask any questions you have that could help me narrow my search and get something worthwhile.
Old 07-18-18, 09:29 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

The first question is why do you need to get a new bike? Did the Hardrock break? Do you want something more performance oriented? Do you want front suspension?

I think some steel gravel or touring bike (Soma or Surly: Saga, Long Haul Trucker, Double Cross, Straggler or something along these lines) will do fine for you. I am 300lbs and I ride Soma Double Cross disc. There are some shops near you that carry these brands:
Polkadot Bicycles | Lincoln, NE 68506
Ferguson's Bike Shop, Bicycle Sales, Service and Repair of bicycles
Omaha Bicycle Co. | We like steel. And wool. Steel wool, that's just okay.

The budget is very respectable. You may even get some build. At least if you can get a fork with uncut steerer it will allow you to fine tune the fit to some extent.
Old 07-18-18, 09:53 PM
Nicksw81

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need a new bike because mine was stolen today. I know next to nothing about "good" bikes. I plan to visit a good bike shop not large chain store and get some help as well.
Old 07-18-18, 11:30 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
Sorry to hear that
You can look at MTBs (even entry levels like Hardrock) or some hybrids if you want front suspension. You can also look at rigid hybrids (Trek FX etc.) or gravel/touring bikes. Even entry level models (good brand models, not Walmart or Target ones) are quite rideable, you may not need to go as high as $1500. Get wheels with at least 36 spokes, maybe even some aftermarket ones. You can ask the shops near you to test ride some bikes.