Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Returning Rider!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-18, 11:27 AM
Lodie187

Bikes: Currently Building: Specialized Langster Steel W/ All NJS parts W/ rear Velocity Deep V to Phil Hub. Front is a Normal Velocity Deep V.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Returning Rider!

Hello all, long time rider in the past, but its been about 5-6 years since i've actually ridden. Used to ride crazy amounts and rack in alot of miles. Looking to get back into riding the Fixed Gear scene again and need a handful of suggestions before fully getting back into it. Currently i suffer from chronic back pain since i have a disc injury from the army amongst other other problems. I went for a ride the other day randomly and surprisingly didnt cause much pain if not all probably due to the riding position forcing me to keep my back straight, leaned forward somewhat aggressively, Diverting all the pain i would incur away from my back. It was fun, but unfortunately since my butt isn't using to riding it was quite painful. Im unsure what seat would be the most comfortable considering my situation. I have a brand new Brooks Saddle that hasn't been broken and i dont think i plan to anytime soon. I was thinking of getting a NOS Selle Italia Turbo since i remember those being comfy. I plan on swapping the handlebars to some Nitto B260AA as well to help with the aggressive stance. I also considered using a Nitto Quill Stem Adapter and switching to a more modern stem setup with a rise in it or a taller quill setup.

ALSO, i have gained quite a bit of weight and am concerned about proper wheel/tire setup. I weight about 290lbs and am running Velocity Deep V with a Phil Hub in the rear and a normal Velocity Deep V in front. My tire setup is 700x25 and am not sure if that would be fine considering my weight. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-07-18, 02:26 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
As far as the saddle is concerned, don't give up on it yet. The only way for the ass pain to go away is saddle time. If there is soreness reconsider saddle positioning. If all fail, then, it is time to reconsider another saddle.
Old 08-07-18, 02:54 PM
Lodie187

Bikes: Currently Building: Specialized Langster Steel W/ All NJS parts W/ rear Velocity Deep V to Phil Hub. Front is a Normal Velocity Deep V.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're right, i forgot that it took time for my body to get used to it. Might as well suck it up on the Brooks saddle since it will more than likely be the best.