Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Disc Brakes; Yay or Nay?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disc Brakes; Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 09:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
my bike with studded tires , an old MTB has wheels with drum brake hubs..
it is a 3rd choice..
1) they retrofit on a rim brake frame without brazing on new mounts.
[ I built these wheels, 25+ years ago ]

2) They modulate smoothly , My disc brake bike is far too easy to stop too abruptly.. Not something I would consider good, on black ice..

3) big brake shoes won't need replacing .. if at all , during your lifetime..

maybe downside, A) heavier, B) only 1 company left making them ..

and, C) as mature technology, & very rarely on any new bike ,

so no 'latest/greatest, ever' revues ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-18-18 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-18-18, 12:22 PM
SClaraPokeman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
If you have a frame that accommodate > 28mm tires (and plan on using that capability) then I say disks are a good idea. Also, if you are determined to use carbon wheels.

I'm a big rider and have stopped on steep slopes thousands of times just fine with calipers. About the only advantage I see from disks is that I wouldn't worry the same way about overheating my rims (and potentially blowing up a tire) descending a long technical road on a hot day.

However, disks IMO need a fair amount of maintenance. I remember from TV sports events of my youth ads for Wilkerson steel razor blades which would show two finely honed swords being drawn against each other at the commercial's conclusion. For decades I hadn't thought about this aural memory until I began hearing my disk's brake pads rubbing against the rotors--same metallic clang. Unfortunately one can't open up the calipers a little wider like on a rim brake to make the sound go away. It's the most frequent adjustment I have to make on a stand with my disks.

I like my disk bike--the brakes are very good. However, I like my calipers fine also. I wouldn't pay extra for disks on a road bike where I'm going to use 28mm and narrower tires.
Old 08-18-18, 03:02 PM
Point

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I can only think of 2 advantages of disc brakes:

- much better stopping in winter where ice/snow build up on rims can make rim brakes almost useless and road salt/grit on the roads wear out your rims in one season and...

- if you do a lot of downhill mountain biking

If you don't do the type of riding described above, then rim brakes is all you will ever need. A properly adjusted rim brakes with good quality pads will stop just as good as disc brakes.
I may go further and say that maybe only the first point is a reason. I’ve mountain biked for years, with plenty of long descents (>2000 vertical feet), and never felt I needed more than cantilevers or v-brakes. I always had plenty of stopping power with properly set up rim brakes.
Old 08-18-18, 06:23 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Never had discs fail, mech or hydro. Big man here with loaded bikepacking rigs too.
I have, big man here with full touring rig, bike and gear over 110lbs. Going down a very steep mountain sealed road with random patches of gravel that meant you couldn't pulse brake or go fast enough for air flow to be effective. I've also been riding with a dude who had one fail on his MTB, luckily it was the back. Funny thing was he was talking not 5 minutes before about how superior disc brakes are.
Here's the point: discs do have a failure mode to zero or minimal braking from heat build up, in circumstances which can be achieved in the real world. Braking techniques in steep terrain while heavily loaded need to be modified to take this into account. To say otherwise is to deny basic physics. Rim brakes can cause blow outs in extreme circumstances from heat build up but cases of the brake failing to stop are much rarer than with disc brakes.
Old 08-18-18, 07:05 PM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rim brakes please.

Although I do have hydro discs on one of my bikes, discs merely present another hassle that I would rather not deal with. Dishing of the front wheel, more dishing or the rear wheel, bleeding of lines, another thingy to align correctly...bleh. I'm a year round commuter and see rain, snow, ice, salt what have you and rim brakes are perfectly adequate.

If you're in need of that instantaneous bite for emergency braking that hydro discs offer in rain, snow, ice etc I'd say you're already going too fast for conditions anyways and are asking for some hurting either way.
Old 08-18-18, 07:20 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Well ... i think we have made it clear to the OP that no matter what he chooses ... someone here is going to tell him he's doing it wrong.
Old 08-18-18, 07:52 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
No right or wrong. Preference determines choice.
Old 08-19-18, 08:58 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have actually seen this happen on TV in races ..... but only I think twice in a few decades. On the other hand, I can't open my newspaper each morning with seeing two or three stories about disc brakes running amok and killing their spouses and families.

(The news paper bit was especially for you, Mr. Rydabent---i figure you and I are the only ones old enough to remember what a "newspaper" is.)
Yup I remember newspapers. But-------------I no longer subscribe because of the price of the local paper.
Old 08-19-18, 09:00 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by cthenn
Disc brakes are spinning saw blades, and have killed people. Then again, with rim brakes if you get one drop of water on the rims, you will be unable to stop and will careen into oncoming traffic. Disc brakes have way better modulation, whereas with rim brakes once you press the lever, your wheels will lock up and you will endo. Disc brakes take a degree in astrophysics in order to adjust or change the pads, whereas rim brakes can be adjusted by a trained monkey. Wheels with rim brakes are easier to swap, for the next time you race in the Tour de France, whereas if you have a disc wheel, there is exactly one wheel the pads will work with, and anything else will not fit.

I think that about cover the pros and cons. The choice is yours.
Saw blades**********? Killed people********************?? Where is the proof in those statements.
Old 08-19-18, 09:37 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Just the other day i saw on the news where a disc attacked and killed a mother and an infant in a stroller ... diced them into tiny pieces ... but the disc tried to escape on a bike with rim brakes, and a single drop of blood hit the wheel, so the disc couldn't stop and crashed fatally.
Old 08-19-18, 10:17 AM
rydabent
Banned

Just the other day i saw on the news where a disc attacked and killed a mother and an infant in a stroller ... diced them into tiny pieces ... but the disc tried to escape on a bike with rim brakes, and a single drop of blood hit the wheel, so the disc couldn't stop and crashed fatally.
Well there you go.
Old 08-19-18, 09:52 PM
rydabent
Banned

Dude .... if you couldn't see the sarcasm dripping off this post, you are too old for a bike and belong on a recumbent.
I am on a recumbent trike and it has disc brakes.
Old 08-19-18, 10:38 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by rydabent
I am on a recumbent trike and it has disc brakes.
Justice is served.
Old 08-20-18, 07:09 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
I have, big man here with full touring rig, bike and gear over 110lbs. Going down a very steep mountain sealed road with random patches of gravel that meant you couldn't pulse brake or go fast enough for air flow to be effective. I've also been riding with a dude who had one fail on his MTB, luckily it was the back. Funny thing was he was talking not 5 minutes before about how superior disc brakes are.
Here's the point: discs do have a failure mode to zero or minimal braking from heat build up, in circumstances which can be achieved in the real world. Braking techniques in steep terrain while heavily loaded need to be modified to take this into account. To say otherwise is to deny basic physics. Rim brakes can cause blow outs in extreme circumstances from heat build up but cases of the brake failing to stop are much rarer than with disc brakes.
YRMV. I'm a big fan of Avid BB7 mt setups, run them on 4 bikes. 180 mm rotor front, 160 rear, sintered pads. Never had an issue, ever. But that's me. Pulsing and alternating brakes works. Sure stuff breaks. Hydro hoses I guess? Mt biker here. They just work great, standard issue for say the last 6 years or so, mt bikes over say 1 K don't have the ability to run rim, and plus and fat bikes run disc always. Cheers, pedal on.
Old 08-20-18, 07:44 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Tell that to anyone who's ever had the end of a handlebar pulled out of their leg after a crash.

Also, the things with the teeth are the sharpest things on a bicycle.

Last edited by DrIsotope; 08-20-18 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-20-18, 10:47 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I notice everypart of a bike is smooth with round corners. The disc is the sharpest part of a bicycle. I imagine it could fillet flesh if the conditions are right.
How about the teeth on the big ring on the bottom bracket. BTW disc brakes now have a rounded edge.
Old 08-20-18, 11:23 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
How about the teeth on the big ring on the bottom bracket. BTW disc brakes now have a rounded edge.
That was my first thought as well. You could also get impaled on one of the tubes "if the conditions are right."
Old 08-20-18, 11:33 AM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can't wait to hear the discussion once carbon rotors for bikes becomes in vogue.

"I used to get brake fade with my disc brakes but not with these new carbon rotors!"
"Spinning, assploding, saw blades of death!"
Old 08-20-18, 11:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Also, the things with the teeth are the sharpest things on a bicycle.
And puncture wounds can hurt like hell. I got one from a chainring. Thing got infected and was quite painful. Also speared myself with the end of a frayed cable that had lost its cap. That hurt as well.
Old 08-20-18, 11:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the old Phil Wood Disc brakes used a disc of friction material ,
and the pads were steel.

Old 08-20-18, 12:42 PM
Jbarcs

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2007 Specialized S-Works Tricross, 2010 Specialized Tricross Triple, 2016 Specialized AWOL EVO

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Full disclosure: I do not like disc brakes. If you will be your own mechanic you will find them far fussier than rim brakes and that fussiness can be a major irritant.

Okay, with that said... I would opt for the disc brake bike. We all have to accept that they are the future.

Most bikes with rim brakes (calipers) will let you ride up to a 28mm tire most of the time. But what if the next ride would be better done with 32 or 35 or even 40 mm tires? Do you get a second bike? The disc brake bike will usually accommodate the bigger tire. If you have plenty of space to store a large collection of bikes then go ahead and buy the caliper fitted bike. But if you want to try to meet multiple needs with the fewest number of bikes then go for the disc equipped bike and learn to master the fiddling that they require.
Old 08-20-18, 01:46 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbarcs
Okay, with that said... I would opt for the disc brake bike. We all have to accept that they are the future.
Do we really? They're the in thing right now, will they really hold up though? Especially so, when entry level bikes come with low end examples that don't stay adjusted, and people transitioning from far better at the price point V or caliper brakes start to associate them with poor stopping performance (as my wife has already decided with hers)?
Old 08-20-18, 02:03 PM
OldFartCyclist

Location: Pasco, Washington - the brown side of the Pacific NW

Bikes: 2020 SWorks Tarmac SL6 w/ Shimano DA 9100; 2016 Lynskey R240 w/ DA 9100, 2014 SWorks Roubaix w/ DA 9100

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Well, this is my 2 bits: If I didn't have a bike now and was in the market for my first good rider, I would most likely go for the disc brake feature. However, I have a couple of very high quality bikes and have invested in a number of wheelsets (4 spares sets including 1 for the Kinetic trainer I use in bad winter weather, ready to go and mounted with a trainer tire. Works with either bike!) This factor alone just about eliminates a new bike with a disc from contention. Unless you go absolute top end and dollar indifferent, the new bike will have a wheelset that is not up to snuff for me. My wheels and the flexibility of changing wheelset depending on the ride planned is worth more than the disc brake feature and another investment in high end wheels. I have a superlight climbing set and 2 sets of Mavic Exaliths that give me braking very comparable to the discs setups I've ridden even in the rain or wet. I've never had a problem with overheating tires on long descents and I've ridden down a few. I have topnotch DA 9100 rim brakes on both my bikes and try to ride with a bit of intelligence and foresight. My brakes have never failed me on the steepest downhills or the most sudden emergency where discs would have made a difference.

I'm not anti disc or pro rim. Unless I'm shopping in the $10,000-$12,000 range, from my own experience, I would be putting myself at a disadvantage in a number of ways.
Old 08-20-18, 02:49 PM
Jbarcs

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2007 Specialized S-Works Tricross, 2010 Specialized Tricross Triple, 2016 Specialized AWOL EVO

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Do we really? They're the in thing right now, will they really hold up though? Especially so, when entry level bikes come with low end examples that don't stay adjusted, and people transitioning from far better at the price point V or caliper brakes start to associate them with poor stopping performance (as my wife has already decided with hers)?

I'm not interested in a huge debate... just trying to advise the OP based on my experience. My rationale for my comments regarding the future was based largely on my experience searching for a canti bossed cx frame to build up for my son. Not an easy task anymore. How many folks are making canti cx or gravel or adventure bikes in 2018? No need arguing about the effectiveness or likability of one vs. the other. It's just happening whether we like it or not.
Old 08-20-18, 03:40 PM
Alexxx1

Bikes: I'm looking for the right one

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Opinion

I do like BB7s because of simplicity and most bike shops stock pads for them...Getting brake pads for hydraulic brakes can be a problem because there are just too many different models out there and most bike shops don't stock every type of disc brake pad on the market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.