Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Another "Is this bike right for me"...?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 06:39 PM
Mysticz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello I'm sure you all must get tired of all these threads but I trust the community more than a gentleman selling these. Plus they have none in my area to test fit.

I am 6'3 285lbs and have recently found an interest in getting into cycling. The majority of my rides would be on paved roads and maybe a dirt road or two. I'm doing this for pleasure and exercise only.

I keep finding myself coming back to the Giant Contend 3. The XL frame should work for my height but I am worried about the weight. Would this be a good beginner choice or do you all have any other suggestions.

thank you
Old 08-06-18, 06:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I would be looking for a bike that can handle at least 32mm wide tires, because at your weight, the wheels and tires are going to be the weak links. At 285lbs, you're going to be hard-pressed to find a 700x25 that will hold you up-- most top out around 120psi max, and that won't be enough-- pinch flats will be an issue. Bigger tires = better. The frame and components shouldn't be an issue.

You'll also want high spoke counts, at least 32 spokes for the rear.
Old 08-06-18, 06:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Are you buying the bike new or used? From a bike shop?

Talk to the shop. Ask if they have weight limits.

You are probably just on the edge of whether a road bike is a good idea or not. 24/32H wheels are probably fine, although I'd probably go with 32H front, 36H rear. But, those are probably fine. You can always upgrade later if necessary.

What is the warranty?

I think my biggest issue with that bike would be tire clearance. It is listed as running 25mm tires, and the clearance looks tight. The shop should be able to verify what will work. If I was you, I'd spec a bike capable of mounting 28mm to 35mm tires. You don't have to mount them now, just make sure they would work if you want them.

That puts you into some of the cyclocross bikes.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...oad/cyclocross

Hmmm, nothing cheaper?

Good used cross bikes show up, or even Hybrid to Cross conversions.
Old 08-06-18, 07:58 PM
Rotten

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1986 Schwinn Passage, 1987 Shogun Katana, 2018 Giant Anyroad Advanced, 2013 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts
When I was researching Giant Bikes I came across this website with weight limits. https://www.tredz.co.uk/size-guides/giant
If you're going to cycle for weight loss then the 285 pound limit shown for the contend shouldn't be an issue, just don't carry a lot of extra stuff.
As a plus the 2019 Contend 3 already comes with 28mm tires.
Old 08-07-18, 01:10 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotten
When I was researching Giant Bikes I came across this website with weight limits. https://www.tredz.co.uk/size-guides/giant
If you're going to cycle for weight loss then the 285 pound limit shown for the contend shouldn't be an issue, just don't carry a lot of extra stuff.
As a plus the 2019 Contend 3 already comes with 28mm tires.
It sounds like it is pretty close.

28mm likely would be good tires, although it still would be good to look at actual tire clearance if one wished to go slightly larger.

One additional thought. It is much easier to add tire clearance with disc brake bikes than with caliper brake bikes (although Cantis/V-Brakes also allow good tire clearance).

It looks like discs add quite a bit to the cost of the bikes, but they would still be worth looking at.
Old 08-08-18, 10:33 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I agree with the others that say look for a bike that can handle bigger tires. For sure if you plan to do some dirt.

A gravel,adventure or touring bike should work.Also would be my first choice if I was only to have one bike to ride.

For size just do not go by height. a good LBS should get you sized right.

And welcome to BF and cycling ,it is a great ride.
Old 08-14-18, 05:05 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
“You are probably just on the edge of whether a road bike is a good idea or not. 24/32H wheels are probably fine, although I'd probably go with 32H front, 36H rear. But, those are probably fine. You can always upgrade later if necessary.”

I am 335 and this is my bike. The Giant should work great. I would avoid gravel and pot holes. No curb hopping or jumping. Keep the tires @ full PSI before every ride.
Old 08-14-18, 05:07 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
I should add that expect to do more maintenance on your bike then a skinny person would because your weight will impact the wheels.
Old 08-15-18, 08:42 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Any touring oriented bike should do. Of interest, most of them have triple chainring in the front, which makes for easier uphill rides. Any Clyde can appreciate a 26-34 (F-R) rather than a 34-28 (F-R) of a compact double.

If you don't have uphills in your neck of the woods, just about any gravel grinder/cyclocross/endurance type of bike will do.

Try many, see which one you like.

I am slightly south of you (265ish lbs) and I ride a Novara Randonee (REI ADV 1.1 nowadays). I find it comfortable (I put just over 6000 mi in the last 2.5 years). I had the wheels properly tensioned when I bought the bike and never had any problems with them. Nice 36 spoke Mavic 319, like a touring bike should have.
Old 08-19-18, 11:29 PM
otis66

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What bike for a 400lb man

Not sure what bike I should buy. I was looking at Electra Towne 21 speed. I’m 5’9” 400 lbs. what frame size reg or larg.
Old 08-20-18, 07:56 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by otis66
Not sure what bike I should buy. I was looking at Electra Towne 21 speed. I’m 5’9” 400 lbs. what frame size reg or larg.
Unlike clothing, bike size does not really depend on your weight, but your skeletal size.

But looking at the website, there is only one size?
Old 08-20-18, 10:43 AM
mthorste

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by otis66
I have a Townie 21D. I am 6" and I have the reg frame size so I would imagine that would work for you. I started at 425 and am down to 320 and counting. I did get a rear wheel built that would handle my weight. It wasn't top of the line but has been very sufficient for me with no broken spokes and it only cost me about $60. The Townie has been a good choice for me while I drop weight. As soon as I get down to 250 I'll consider a gravel or road bike but I love what the Townie has provided.
Old 08-20-18, 04:52 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I am slightly south of you (265ish lbs) and I ride a Novara Randonee (REI ADV 1.1 nowadays). I find it comfortable (I put just over 6000 mi in the last 2.5 years). I had the wheels properly tensioned when I bought the bike and never had any problems with them. Nice 36 spoke Mavic 319, like a touring bike should have
I also like the Co-op Adv for Clydesdales/Athenas or just in general.I was just at REI last week and they had at least 3 models from last year on sale.
They only had a large in the 3.1 and the reach/TT was way to short for my long trunk,I think a XL might have work at $720.
I think the other one was the 1.1 and has a longer ST and much different frame from the 3.1 for around $800.

If not in a hurry and do not want to pa full price the current models should got on sale around DEC/JAN.
Old 08-21-18, 01:24 PM
otis66

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mthorste
I have a Townie 21D. I am 6" and I have the reg frame size so I would imagine that would work for you. I started at 425 and am down to 320 and counting. I did get a rear wheel built that would handle my weight. It wasn't top of the line but has been very sufficient for me with no broken spokes and it only cost me about $60. The Townie has been a good choice for me while I drop weight. As soon as I get down to 250 I'll consider a gravel or road bike but I love what the Townie has provided.

Thank you. I ordered a Townie 21D. I pick it up Friday.
Old 08-21-18, 01:26 PM
otis66

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven
I also like the Co-op Adv for Clydesdales/Athenas or just in general.I was just at REI last week and they had at least 3 models from last year on sale.
They only had a large in the 3.1 and the reach/TT was way to short for my long trunk,I think a XL might have work at $720.
I think the other one was the 1.1 and has a longer ST and much different frame from the 3.1 for around $800.

If not in a hurry and do not want to pa full price the current models should got on sale around DEC/JAN.

Thank you.