Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Recommend a Book on Touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-18, 08:42 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I had a total shoulder replacement nearly two years ago. I never improved despite working very hard at PT. I kept going back to my surgeon and he couldn't figure out why I wasn't improving. Each time I went in he took xrays and never saw anything wrong. He decided it was likely a scar tissue issue. We did another surgery to remove that. I showed mild improvement for a few weeks following that, then it got worse than it was before. He couldn't figure out why. He wanted to do a nerve decompression surgery. I balked and went and got a second opinion.

Within 5 minutes of seeing the new doc, we figured out the problem. The xray shows my prosthetic ball well outside the plastic socket. The narrow void where the small arrow is pointing is infection. The artificial joint was installed incorrectly and the scar tissue removal surgery let infection in.

They are going to open me up and tear out the prosthesis. They are going to install an antibiotic implant then sew me up for 6-12 weeks until they are confident the infection is gone. At that point they will open me up, tear out the antibiotic spacer, install a new joint and sew me back up.

I just went out and bought a fancy new recliner that will be my home for the winter. I hope to be riding again by spring.
G'day Paul,
wonderful that your second opinion has managed to quickly determine the issue and you now have a plan to get it sorted.

The time will fly and the end result will hopefully prove to be much less /no pain and discomfort and a return to mobility and riding.

Nice to hear a story with what appears to be an expected happy outcome.

Best of luck with the operation and I look forward to reading an update when you've been under the knife and enjoying all the down time and reading opportunities.
Old 10-09-18, 09:04 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I had a total shoulder replacement nearly two years ago. I never improved despite working very hard at PT. I kept going back to my surgeon and he couldn't figure out why I wasn't improving. Each time I went in he took xrays and never saw anything wrong. He decided it was likely a scar tissue issue. We did another surgery to remove that. I showed mild improvement for a few weeks following that, then it got worse than it was before. He couldn't figure out why. He wanted to do a nerve decompression surgery. I balked and went and got a second opinion.

Within 5 minutes of seeing the new doc, we figured out the problem. The xray shows my prosthetic ball well outside the plastic socket. The narrow void where the small arrow is pointing is infection. The artificial joint was installed incorrectly and the scar tissue removal surgery let infection in.

They are going to open me up and tear out the prosthesis. They are going to install an antibiotic implant then sew me up for 6-12 weeks until they are confident the infection is gone. At that point they will open me up, tear out the antibiotic spacer, install a new joint and sew me back up.

I just went out and bought a fancy new recliner that will be my home for the winter. I hope to be riding again by spring.
I hope you have much better luck this time. My first shoulder surgery was by the super expert. After two years I managed to get my doctor to approve a second opinion, they refused to say that the first surgeon screwed up, but the second surgeon fixed some of the mistakes of the first, some could not be fixed. But at least I did not need artificial joint, still using the natural hardware. All told, two surgeries and intermittent physical therapy for three years. A lot of pain, some of the pain I will have forever, and lost about five months of activity. But after hearing your story, I feel fortunate. I hope it all works out this time around for you. And I hope you have great insurance.
Old 10-09-18, 10:02 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I hope the surgeons aren't too rough but seriously, best wishes. With all the diagnostic tools it's surprising how different doctors' opinions can vary.

Not a book but Monty Python's "The Cycling Tour" is fun esp with the theme of how the random folks cycle-tourist Michael Palin meets are utterly unimpressed by his tour.

Old 10-10-18, 12:24 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
I had a total shoulder replacement nearly two years ago.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I hope you have much better luck this time. My first shoulder surgery was by the super expert.

Why did you guys need shoulder surgery?

I am curious to know if one can take reasonable precautions to avoid needing such surgery, or if it is pretty much just luck of the draw genetically.
Old 10-10-18, 07:49 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders

I am curious to know if one can take reasonable precautions to avoid needing such surgery, or if it is pretty much just luck of the draw genetically.

Mine was a defensive tactics injury from early in my Coast Guard career.
Old 10-10-18, 09:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders

I was riding my bike with a few friends. It was a very very windy day, I was riding down a bike path at high speed with a side/tailwind. And suddenly there is a tree down in front of me that I could not stop for. Hit it at probably about 18 mph. The initial MRI showed the doctor and physical therapist that I had a very bad shoulder dislocation. I said no, did not dislocate because when I got up off the ground, the first thing I did was move all of my major joints to test for bone fractures, and everything moved, although left arm was not very responsive. They showed me on the MRI a huge dent in the shoulder socket where the ball had been pulled out of the socket and then popped back in under enough force to leave a dent. Some of the nerves were damaged too, that was why my arm was not very responsive.

In other words, I ran into something at high speed and went flying over the bike. I suspect that my tight grip on the brakes meant that when I went flying that my left arm got yanked out of the joint to cause the nerve damage and dislocation.

I think I have said enough to answer your question, I would rather not write up a long dissertation on the next three years which I am sure nobody wants to read.

I was on my Thorn Sherpa, a pretty solid touring bike. The stem was badly twisted on the steerer tube, but I could find no other damage to the bike. Front wheel was still true, no dents in the top tube from a handlebar impact or anything like that, fork was not bent, etc. Brake levers were twisted on the handlebars, but that was easy to fix. I think the smaller branches on the side of the tree provided some cushioning so that it was not a hard impact on the bike. I used that bike later for my Glacier/Waterton Loop tour, GAP and S&O tour, and my Winter Florida Big Cyprus/Everglades and Keys tour. No shimmy, all of the frame is still in alignment, etc. The bike survived better than I would have hoped.

The mirror on the helmet was busted in two places.

I was quite lucky that the tree was on the ground when I hit it. If I had been there two seconds earlier, I might have run into the tree with my head or chest instead of running my bike into the tree. And in that scenario I would not have done any braking first. So, in that regard I am quite lucky. A friend of mine was in front of me, he passed that point before the tree landed, so he was quite lucky too. And he helped arrange for me and my bike to get home, so I was lucky that he was there, this was probably 20 miles away from my home. I then went to see a doctor within minutes of getting home. I have good health insurance. Over the next three years I had lots of co-pays and deductibles, but overall the health insurance was very good to have.

So, the lesson is when riding your bike you should avoid running into trees at high speed. And if you do, make sure you have good insurance.
Old 10-10-18, 03:28 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Folks, I am about to be down hard for a long time for two major shoulder surgeries. I am going to need some reading material. What Touring book would you recommend? I'd like one that is fairly comprehensive and geared toward beginners.
Originally Posted by mev
Are you thinking of general adventure, HOW TO, a particular destination of some general mix?
I was thinking "how to" or an instruction manual, but come to think of it, I'll take all recommendations.
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
As many people have already stated “ Crazy Guy On Bike “ website is great. Nothing fancy but you can follow the adventures each day with some pictures.
Dittoes to all the well wishes for your recovery. I was off work for three months after a cycling accident, and sought after ways to fill my time, including becoming devoted to such TV shows as “The Andy Griffith Show,” and “Perry Mason,” old and new series; setting up an Excel spreadsheet to catalogue all the senders and messages in my get-well cards; and posting (with physical effort) to BikeForums.

+10 for https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/]. There’s never enough time to thoroughly read such interesting trip reports, especially for me having done a memorable cross country ride. Furthermore, it may be beneficial with your shoulder issue, that you don’t need to turn pages.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-10-18 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-10-18, 03:37 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jitenshajin
...I remember reading about Thomas Stevens, born 1854 in Hertfordshire, England. He was the first person to circle the globe by bicycle. He rode a large-wheeled Ordinary, commonly known as a penny-farthing, from April 1884 to December 1886. This made him the world’s first ever bicycle touring adventurist and one that traveled it in a very impressive way…

https://kickasstrips.com/2013/07/tho...thing-in-1885/

The tales of his exploits can be read in two volumes which are free to download in several formats at Gutenburg.org, Entitled "Around the World by Bicycle - Volumes 1 & 2."

Books by Stevens, Thomas (sorted by popularity) - Project Gutenberg
Years ago I read the first volume, of his trip across the US. I specifically recall he was certainly a man of his times. He carried a revolver, and once referred to an Asian man as John Chinaman. :

One memorable description was riding on a trestle railroad bridge, and as a train approached he had to hang on underneath dangling his penny-farthing bicycle.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-10-18 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-10-18, 05:50 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I recommend Journey To Ixtlan by Carlos Castaneda. Oops, while it's not about bicycling, you might find it helpful for developing a mindset crucial for taking journeys. Or you might not.
Old 10-10-18, 06:23 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mine was a defensive tactics injury from early in my Coast Guard career.

Thanks for that info.

Whilst my shoulders are both fine, I dread the prospect of ever needing a shoulder operation to sort them out.
Old 10-10-18, 06:27 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

I was riding my bike with a few friends. It was a very very windy day, I was riding down a bike path at high speed with a side/tailwind. And suddenly there is a tree down in front of me that I could not stop for. Hit it at probably about 18 mph. The initial MRI showed the doctor and physical therapist that I had a very bad shoulder dislocation. I said no, did not dislocate because when I got up off the ground, the first thing I did was move all of my major joints to test for bone fractures, and everything moved, although left arm was not very responsive. They showed me on the MRI a huge dent in the shoulder socket where the ball had been pulled out of the socket and then popped back in under enough force to leave a dent. Some of the nerves were damaged too, that was why my arm was not very responsive.

In other words, I ran into something at high speed and went flying over the bike. I suspect that my tight grip on the brakes meant that when I went flying that my left arm got yanked out of the joint to cause the nerve damage and dislocation.

Thanks for that info.

It is easy to forget I guess, how life can just throw these crazy things up at people.

One of my initial concerns was that you were instead going to tell me that just by logging in long hours on a bike, it was enough to wear away at your shoulder.

Also it showed how well built your Sherpa was to survive relatively unscathed from such a collision.
Old 10-14-18, 04:55 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
You could download back issues of this magazine. All issues probably adds up to the equivalent to one book. They also list some books on that website, but I have never looked at the books.
https://www.bicycletraveler.bicyclingaroundtheworld.nl/

If it is rotator cuff, my doctor told me to stay off the bike for about five months after that surgery. I had to wear a sling 24/7, including while I slept. Sleeping meant sitting upright for about six weeks. The physical therapist explained to me that there is very little blood flow to the rotator cuff, thus it heals very very slowly. And that is why recovery was so slow. So, don't rush it, do what the professionals tell you to do. And good luck.
Thank You for the excellent link!
Old 10-16-18, 04:15 AM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of the best, informative and entertaining books I've read in awhile, by Anna McNuff: "50 Shades of the USA: One woman's 11,000 mile cycling adventure through every state of America".
Old 10-16-18, 05:13 AM
jargo432

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ogre, Steamroller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has already been suggested but I'll second Travels with Willie by Willie Weir.
Old 10-18-18, 01:32 PM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 87 Posts
I highly recommend "Life is a Wheel" by Bruce Weber. Written by the NY Times obit writer about his cross country bicycle ride.
Old 10-23-18, 06:30 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I just finished The Cyclist Who Went Out in the Cold, by Tim Moore, an account of his 9000 km ride along the Iron Curtain Trail from Kirkenes Norway to Tsarevo Bulgaria on the Black Sea. Moore rode the whole way on a modifed East German built Mifa 900 shopping bike. It had 20 inch wheels and a two speed hub. It just goes to show, you can tour on any bike. You just have to want to do it.

Last edited by skookum; 10-23-18 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spolling
Old 10-23-18, 09:00 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Pedaling the Ends of the Earth.

https://www.amazon.com/Pedaling-Eart.../dp/0671492896

I found a copy of this at my local library. Its about four friends going on a round the world tour in 1981. After I read it I looked up the author and he had accomplished a lot since then. I even emailed him to let him know how much I enjoyed his book and he replied "Wow, that feels like a million years ago...".
Old 10-24-18, 09:07 AM
mantelclock
Senior Moment

Bikes: Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
No Wrong Turns: Cycling the World, Part One: Paris to Sydney, by Chris Pountney
Excellent writing, long, but doesn't get boring as his adventures keep piling up.