Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any Thoughts on this Specialized Allez Sport?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-20-19, 10:45 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts

Thoughts on quality? Is the price fair? Would it take a rack in the back. I'm just looking for an upgraded commuter. I'm upgrading from an old Schwinn Sierra. He was even interested in trading my bike plus 250....

chattanooga.craigslist.org/bik/d/chattanooga-allen-specialized-for-sale/6845883388.html

Last edited by LifeNovice1; 03-21-19 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-20-19, 12:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Its craigs list, go look at it, in person ..
Old 03-21-19, 07:08 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Wow. That was so helpful. Thanks. Guess someone ate Smartass Flakes for breakfast.
I'm new to biking. If I knew more about bikes and knew what to look for, I wouldn't be asking the questions now would I?
Old 03-21-19, 07:32 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by LifeNovice1
Wow. That was so helpful. Thanks. Guess someone ate Smartass Flakes for breakfast.
I'm new to biking. If I knew more about bikes and knew what to look for, I wouldn't be asking the questions now would I?
I recently bought a used bike and got royally screwed on it. So here’s a checklist:

-Is the front derailleur hanger replaceable (or a band type), and in good condition?
-Is the chain NOT saggy and the chainring/cassette NOT reeeeally shark-finned?
-Take off the wheels and spin the axles by hand. If there’s any catching, bearings are shot. If it’s cup and cone (as opposed to sealed cartridge bearings, they look very different if you look closely), then the hub and therefore the wheel is shot.
-Are the spokes and more critically the nipples clean and in good condition? If they’re oxidized to hell and back, they might be decent to ride, but a true job will make the wheels explode.
-Violently shake the crank. If there’s any play at all, the bearings are probably shot. It’s hard to detect roughness but see if you can take the chain off (maybe drop the chain on the inside?) and spin the crank. It should be smooth and not rumbly. Don’t worry about drag - that’s just seals and grease.
-Do the brake pads allow angled adjustment? If not, you’ll probably want to invest in better ones - a point of negotiation.
-Look at the welds near the head tube and bottom bracket. Run your finger over them. Any cracks? If there’s a crack in the paint, the odds are low of it just being in the paint.

Thats all I got for now. Good luck. And if the seller gets sketched out by you inspecting the wares, I’d say run.
Old 03-21-19, 07:49 AM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 80 Posts
I purchased about a 1996 Specialized Allez Sport on Craigslist many years ago. The bike has been great and yes I added a rack on the back because I use it for long trips.

The prices vary from $250 to $500.
Old 03-21-19, 08:15 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Thoughts on quality? Is the price fair? Would it take a rack in the back. I'm just looking for an upgraded commuter. I'm upgrading from an old Schwinn Sierra. He was even interested in trading my bike plus 250....

chattanooga.craigslist.org/bik/d/chattanooga-allen-specialized-for-sale/6845883388.html
Although indelicately stated, fietsbob has a point. As a class of bicycle, the Allez are fine. As an individual bike, we can't tell from pictures so we really can't say. As a rule, my advice to anyone asking about a bike on Craigslist is that if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't buy off Craigslist. At the very least, have a mechanic check it before you buy or have someone who is knowledgeable about bikes go with you to check it out.

As to price, it's a bit steep. Going by color, it looks like a 2005 model. Bicycle Blue Book puts the price of an excellent one at around $150, although that seems a bit low. $250 would be a good price but $350 is perhaps a bit high.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-21-19, 08:19 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Thanks guys! That's a pretty good checklist there. I had to google "bottom bracket". That's how little I know about bikes.
Old 03-21-19, 08:53 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I bought this 2002 Allez at Performance back in 2002 on sale for $399. Yearend closeout, list was $899. The bike on the ad looks overpriced to me, but if it fits, and you like it, go for it. They are good solid frames. Mine came with anluminum fork, which rode really hard to me, coming from an old steel Bianchi, that got killed by a car. I put an Easton carbon fork on. Sometime they went to carbon standard, not sure if the one in the ad is carbon or Al. I also broke several rear spokes, before I had the rear wheel re-spoked with DT Swiss. I also had a front spoke break at 30 mph, which was interesting. The Sora front derailleur broke as did the front Sora shifter. I also upgraded the brakes to 105s. As a first bike, its a good start, but try go get the price down a little. If you were in LA, I'd sell you mine.

Correction: I re-read the CL ad and it already has a carbon fork and seat post. Should be a good ride. It's the same size as mine, and I'm 6' tall, around 200 lbs, if that helps.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 03-21-19 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-21-19, 11:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Do more homework .. I read up on stull before the internet was invented ..

Public Library has Magazine back issues ..
Main thing you need to figure out is assessing Condition of the worn parts..

will seat post / stem come out or is it stuck? An often posted topic from Ebay Bargain Shoppers .. After the fact...

Old 03-21-19, 08:08 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I bought this 2002 Allez at Performance back in 2002 on sale for $399. Yearend closeout, list was $899. The bike on the ad looks overpriced to me, but if it fits, and you like it, go for it. They are good solid frames. Mine came with anluminum fork, which rode really hard to me, coming from an old steel Bianchi, that got killed by a car. I put an Easton carbon fork on. Sometime they went to carbon standard, not sure if the one in the ad is carbon or Al. I also broke several rear spokes, before I had the rear wheel re-spoked with DT Swiss. I also had a front spoke break at 30 mph, which was interesting. The Sora front derailleur broke as did the front Sora shifter. I also upgraded the brakes to 105s. As a first bike, its a good start, but try go get the price down a little. If you were in LA, I'd sell you mine.

Correction: I re-read the CL ad and it already has a carbon fork and seat post. Should be a good ride. It's the same size as mine, and I'm 6' tall, around 200 lbs, if that helps.
Great looking bike Slightspeed.!!! Love it....
Old 03-22-19, 12:34 PM
csaxby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a new Allez Sport in 2015 and am still riding it after about 8,000 miles. 5,000 of those miles are from last season, all on the stock parts (aside from a chain replacement halfway through the season). Shimano Sora groupset is nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done if taken care of. I never had a problem with the front derailleur, but the rear had a tendency to start skipping gears earlier than I would have expected. The bike got me from Seattle to Chicago without any problems last season. Brakes are probably the least impressive aspect, but I didn't know that until I upgraded and realized what I had been missing.

The aluminum frame + carbon fork ride fine in my opinion, and the roads are poorly maintained where I live. I did break two rear spokes after about 6,000 miles, but I'm pretty sure it's because I tried to true the wheel myself and overtightened several spoke nipples; not a problem with the wheel itself.

+1 to the above post re: checking the wear on the cassette. If you go take a look at it, take it for a test ride and try shifting a handful of times to check if it clicks or skips.

I also agree that $350 seems a little high, but it's craigslist and I've never sold anything (bikes or otherwise) for the price I listed on CL. People almost always offer less than half what I've listed it for. If you take a look at it, I would offer $200 and see if they can meet you around the $250-$275 range.

FWIW, I'm 6'1" and 195lbs and was told I have a "long torso" when I got fitted on the Allez two years ago. I have the 58cm frame and was told I could probably size up slightly on my next frame.

Last edited by csaxby; 03-22-19 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Additional Info