Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shipping a kona ute?

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Shipping a kona ute?

Old 04-28-19, 05:29 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Bikes: Tour Easy/Mukluk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shipping a kona ute?

Anyone here ever shipped a kona ute? What kind of box did you use? I'm moving to Hawaii and if I can't fit a ute into a regular box it will be very, very expensive to ship. I'm thinking maybe with taking the fork off it will fit... Any thoughts?
Old 04-28-19, 11:17 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 85 Posts
remove both wheels, crankset, fork, seat post, stem, rear der. Get the first box to just the minimum dimensions of the frame length, height & width. You want to avoid the oversize or especially the oversize x 2 category. They used to calculate size by adding height, length and width of the box. Striping the bike to just the frame means you can use a shorter box which may make up for the extra length. Putting all the parts in a second box means the first box can be narrower which also reduced the total dimensions.

Second box for the wheels and all the parts which will be well under the oversize categories and won't cost an exorbitant amount.

When I received my Project Rwanda Cafe Velo, the box was pretty big. They would normally ship 2 frames in 1 box and the 4 wheels in another. Since I only got 1 bike, they put the wheels in next to the frame in the double wide box. Parts were just thrown in loose but nothing got damaged (lucky me that time).

If you were just shipping in the 48, an Amtrak bike box is large enough for a lwb or tandem.

When my wife went to Alaska races, we found it was just cheaper to buy her larger gear there rather than try to ship it. She donated it to some locals instead of trying to bring it back.

How is Hawaii for biking? Roads are limited due to the volcanos and mountains so traffic can be pretty awful in some areas. I suspect that shipping an lwb will be less than a years worth of gasoline there. When you run out of money and move back to normality, I'm sure you can sell the lwb.

Last edited by rickpaulos; 04-28-19 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 07:00 AM
Domromer
The Idler

Bikes: Tour Easy/Mukluk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos
remove both wheels, crankset, fork, seat post, stem, rear der. Get the first box to just the minimum dimensions of the frame length, height & width. You want to avoid the oversize or especially the oversize x 2 category. They used to calculate size by adding height, length and width of the box. Striping the bike to just the frame means you can use a shorter box which may make up for the extra length. Putting all the parts in a second box means the first box can be narrower which also reduced the total dimensions.

Second box for the wheels and all the parts which will be well under the oversize categories and won't cost an exorbitant amount.

When I received my Project Rwanda Cafe Velo, the box was pretty big. They would normally ship 2 frames in 1 box and the 4 wheels in another. Since I only got 1 bike, they put the wheels in next to the frame in the double wide box. Parts were just thrown in loose but nothing got damaged (lucky me that time).

If you were just shipping in the 48, an Amtrak bike box is large enough for a lwb or tandem.

When my wife went to Alaska races, we found it was just cheaper to buy her larger gear there rather than try to ship it. She donated it to some locals instead of trying to bring it back.

How is Hawaii for biking? Roads are limited due to the volcanos and mountains so traffic can be pretty awful in some areas. I suspect that shipping an lwb will be less than a years worth of gasoline there. When you run out of money and move back to normality, I'm sure you can sell the lwb.
Thanks for the helpful advice... And the less helpful and ignorant opinions.
Old 05-07-19, 12:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Get a Tandem bike box from your local bike shop, when they assemble the tandem bike it shipped in ?