Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Shared-Use Path over New Tappan Zee Bridge

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Shared-Use Path over New Tappan Zee Bridge

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-17, 09:06 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I live on top of Manhattan College Pkwy, welcome to the hills of my neighborhood!
Old 10-15-17, 09:38 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Bikes: Giant road bike

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Meanwhile, I took Kingsbridge from Lehman College down, that's a grip you brakes tightly ride down the hill. There must be a better street but that's the one I know.
I once hit something like 32 or 33 miles per hour on that hill, the fastest I have ever gone. Too damn fast for me.
Old 10-16-17, 07:14 AM
S_Allms

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The new bike path will be on the north span of the bridge; it's in place, but for now it's being used as a regular (car) traffic lane. Once they get to the bike path phase in 2018, they'll fence off that lane to separate it from cars, add the belvederes and landings/connections at both ends of the pathway, and open it up to bikes.

Tarrytown is working on the connection from the bridge into town, and from the bridge to the North/South County trailways and Old Croton Aqueduct Trail. It should all be in place by the time the SUP opens up. Tarrytown will make a great stop on this loop: great restaurants and cafes, a new bike shop that rents electric bikes, and nice connections to the trails.
Old 10-17-17, 11:37 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferdinand NYC
I once hit something like 32 or 33 miles per hour on that hill, the fastest I have ever gone. Too damn fast for me.
Between the buses and the double parked cars, I wouldn't go that fast. I've gone up that hill a few times too, and I always got shouts of encouragement. That's a tough climb. I'm always worried too about getting stopped and not being able to unclip and joining Club Tombé.
Old 04-28-18, 04:57 AM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It's 2018, good riding weather is here! Any updates on the opening of the path on the new bridge?
Old 04-28-18, 09:12 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3234 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
It's 2018, good riding weather is here! Any updates on the opening of the path on the new bridge?
Possibly this summer. They have not yet finished the new bridge portions that connect at both ends for westbound lanes, thus they have squeezed west and east bound traffic onto what will eventually just be the east bound side.

Once the connections are made to the existing ThruWay approaches, they can then lane shift and build the divider for the bike lane.

At at least that’s as I understand it
Old 04-30-18, 04:33 AM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the answer, hope we get lucky and they finish before winter!
Old 05-07-18, 05:22 AM
S_Allms

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
I drove over the TZ your on the new span now and I don't see where the bike path is going to be. Has to be on the other span.
No, it’s going on that northern span — the one you drive over. When they open the second span, they’ll separate the northernmost lane of the currently-open span to use for the bike lane. You can already see where the “Belvedere” viewpoints will go because there’s a little scaffolding built out. That northern span offers the best views to Hook Mountain and the Palisades. I’m really looking forward to the path.
Old 05-07-18, 05:13 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by S_Allms
The new bike path will be on the north span of the bridge; it's in place, but for now it's being used as a regular (car) traffic lane. Once they get to the bike path phase in 2018, they'll fence off that lane to separate it from cars, add the belvederes and landings/connections at both ends of the pathway, and open it up to bikes.

Tarrytown is working on the connection from the bridge into town, and from the bridge to the North/South County trailways and Old Croton Aqueduct Trail. It should all be in place by the time the SUP opens up. Tarrytown will make a great stop on this loop: great restaurants and cafes, a new bike shop that rents electric bikes, and nice connections to the trails.

No, it’s going on that northern span — the one you drive over. When they open the second span, they’ll separate the northernmost lane of the currently-open span to use for the bike lane. You can already see where the “Belvedere” viewpoints will go because there’s a little scaffolding built out. That northern span offers the best views to Hook Mountain and the Palisades. I’m really looking forward to the path.
Will the entrance to the bridge bike path be right there on Rt. 9?
How are they planning on hooking it up to the South County Trailway?
I normally take Rt. 119 across from there.
Old 05-08-18, 08:01 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Also, theyh're connecting the Lakes paved trailway in Tarrytown to the Bronx River Trailway and Kensico Dam, which will be nice...
Anyone know anything more about that statement? Connecting Tarrytown to the Kensico would also seem to mean connecting the South County trailway over to some additional options for both sight seeing, and starting/ending rides at Metro North stations.

But I'm left wondering if the original statement was accurate; perhaps what was actually meant was connecting Tarrytown to the SCT... which exists, sort of.
Old 05-09-18, 10:42 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by UniChris
Connecting Tarrytown to the Kensico would also seem to mean connecting the South County trailway over to some additional options for both sight seeing, and starting/ending rides at Metro North stations.
Looks like there's at least a real plan, though not clear anything has happened since this was written: https://planning.westchestergov.com/...oTrail2016.pdf
Old 05-10-18, 04:31 AM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That's great! But I'm sure it will take some time to get done.
There is also a plan to Build the Maybrook Trail which would connect NCT in Brewster to the Dutchess Trail in Hopewell Junction
Connecting NCT to the Dutchess which connect to the walkway over the Hudson and the Hudson Valley trail you would have about 100 miles of connected bike trail
https://maybrooktrailway.org/wp-conte...t_20180227.pdf

Last edited by Jarrettsin; 05-10-18 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-06-19, 10:17 AM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Boy they are dragging their asre completing the bike lane on the new Cuomo Bridge

Bike Path
Old 05-15-19, 12:27 AM
UniChris

then along the paths in Nyack and over the bridge. From there, it goes up the Andre Brook trail to the Tarrytown Lakes and onto the North County Trailway
While we're waiting on the bridge's path, anyone tried this Andre Brook trail?

I just learned last night that the Tarrytown Lakes path does not dead end at the lakes parking lot, but rather continues around north towards Tower Hill Road, almost across from Kykuit, as the train itself did in the middle years (post trestle, pre-relocation to the present route east of the ridge)

From there the Andre Brook trail in its present form is apparently a just over half mile unpaved connector which runs west to meet the OCA near the playing fields of Sleepy Hollow High.

Thinking I might take a side trip to check that out next time I do the Putnam route... The part of the OCA north of Tarrytown is supposed to be one of the smoother sections, right?
Old 05-15-19, 12:43 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3234 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
The part of the OCA north of Tarrytown is supposed to be one of the smoother sections, right?
It's not the path itself that's smooth or not, it's that the road crossings are not designed to readily roll across on a bike. The trail is not designed for bikes in that there are no curb cuts, etc.... I'd venture that the trail is not ADA compliant at all. I love riding the OCA, having done so multiple times, but the most "technical" sections are absolutely at the road crossings. Thus my experience is you kind of need to attack the curbs at the roads, kind of how you want momentum over obstacles while mt. biking, rub is it's a road crossing where you need to stop and look. So it slows you down somewhat.

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-15-19 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 12:58 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Steve B.
It's not the path itself that's smooth or not, it's that the road crossings are not designed to readily roll across on a bike. The trail is not designed for bikes in that there are no curb cuts, etc.... I'd venture that the trail is not ADA compliant at all. I love riding the OCA, having done so multiple times, but the most "technical" sections are absolutely at the road crossings.
Thanks! Fortunately there seem to be extremely few road crossings (at least on the map) in the stretch I'm contemplating.

In the thoroughly off topic realm, I was also having fun last weekend learning to transition from a few walking steps into rolling up onto the bigger unicycle wheel, which has a lot more possibility (especially on slight upgrades) than making a static jump for it or walking until there's a convenient sign or fence post, so I'll be attempting to practice that while taking the SCT up.

This will just be a side trip, so if it's not being fun I'll turn around and head back to the NCT sooner, and if it is I'll venture further on it. Assuming that is that I get started in time to be able to sample it at all before resuming the trip north, sometimes that is the biggest challenge :-(
Old 03-08-20, 07:04 AM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Looks like maybe by summer the path will be open

erchant Input Requested For Bike/Walking Path Landings TOP