Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ohio to Erie Trail ???

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ohio to Erie Trail ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 09:56 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
Ohio to Erie Trail ???

I was thinking on my way home from GAP/Montour riding this trail from Columbus to Cincinnati. Any suggestions? Or input?
Old 06-04-19, 10:20 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Do it. Are you camping? Trail from Columbus to Cinci is paved and easy traveling. The only issue I had was that the camping options were not plentiful nor were they all convenient, but I think there are more options now than when I did it.
Old 06-04-19, 10:34 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Originally Posted by Rob_E
Do it. Are you camping? Trail from Columbus to Cinci is paved and easy traveling. The only issue I had was that the camping options were not plentiful nor were they all convenient, but I think there are more options now than when I did it.
I will have access to a vehicle at the trailheads/pitstops. Mostly camping on this trip but some days in rooms to get really cleaned up . The interactive map on their website is great gives you a great view of the trailheads etc.
Old 06-04-19, 10:53 AM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I will have access to a vehicle at the trailheads/pitstops. Mostly camping on this trip but some days in rooms to get really cleaned up . The interactive map on their website is great gives you a great view of the trailheads etc.
Depending on how far/fast you ride, you might only need a night or two, given that it sounds like you're basically unloaded with a support vehicle. If you're getting a room, you could spend a night in Xenia and probably do it in 2 days. I don't have a lot of recommendations. It's a nice enough trail, and I generally didn't stray too far from it. One place I enjoyed was Beans-n-Cream in Cedarville, which had a very pleasant patio overlooking the river behind the shop. And Loveland appeared to be a cute town that has embraced the bike trail. I think if I did it again, I'd at least plan to stop for a meal there.
Old 06-04-19, 11:08 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
There is also the Ohio and Erie Canal Trail which goes from just south of Akron to Cleveland. Is this the one you mean?

If you are looking for other trails, the Allegheny River Trail from Emlenton to Oil City, PA is very good.

There is also the Greenbrier Trail in West Virginia.
Old 06-04-19, 11:09 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I was thinking 2 days. The mileage chart says 114 miles. I will probably start outside the metro areas so a few miles less. Family will be in the support wagon I don’t want them getting too bored or I will be dealing with a rebellion I have extra days in Pa so everyone can do something they like.
Old 06-04-19, 11:12 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Just saw the Allegheny River Trail suggestion. Now more research Thanks for the info from both of you.
Old 06-04-19, 11:16 AM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by spinnaker
There is also the Ohio and Erie Canal Trail which goes from just south of Akron to Cleveland. Is this the one you mean?

If you are looking for other trails, the Allegheny River Trail from Emlenton to Oil City, PA is very good.

There is also the Greenbrier Trail in West Virginia.
The Ohio and Erie Canal trail is part of the Ohio to Erie Trail.

The Ohio to Erie Trail is really a network of trails that (mostly) connects the Ohio River in Cincinnati to Lake Erie in Cleveland. The final (depending on direction, of course) stretch is using the Ohio and Erie Canal Trail to get to Cleveland.
Old 06-04-19, 11:22 AM
MiE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Loveland

Originally Posted by Rob_E
Depending on how far/fast you ride, you might only need a night or two, given that it sounds like you're basically unloaded with a support vehicle. If you're getting a room, you could spend a night in Xenia and probably do it in 2 days. I don't have a lot of recommendations. It's a nice enough trail, and I generally didn't stray too far from it. One place I enjoyed was Beans-n-Cream in Cedarville, which had a very pleasant patio overlooking the river behind the shop. And Loveland appeared to be a cute town that has embraced the bike trail. I think if I did it again, I'd at least plan to stop for a meal there.
Loveland is nice! If you have time, the Loveland castle is cool. I live in Cincy and ride the trail from the other end to Loveland. Double check the weather though. I have seen the little Miami trail flooded before.
Old 06-04-19, 12:01 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Just saw the Allegheny River Trail suggestion. Now more research Thanks for the info from both of you.
All paved. Has two tunnels. Bring a really good light. There is a train ride at the Oil City end for family amusement. Kayaking in Franklin. And the Kennerdale Overlook which is well worth seeing.
Old 06-05-19, 12:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
I did Franklin to Emlenton as part of a cross-PA tour maybe 5 years ago. Pretty ride. Saw deer and bald eagles. There is one short section (about .75 miles) where you have to detour off the old rail bed. It's unpaved, but was easily rideable when I did it. There is a private campground just outside the center of Emlenton. Franklin has a couple of motels. Note that the trail changes names to the Samuel L. Justus Trail (or something like that) north of the Franklin area.

Most definitely have a good light for the tunnels.
Old 06-05-19, 12:27 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Loveland is alright, but a little too touristy for my tastes, lol. 😉 I mostly remember nearly hitting a fawn (baby deer), right where the trail goes over to the Walmart. I never did see it's mother, had to wonder about that. 🤔
Old 06-05-19, 12:59 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Good to know about the campground in Emlenton. Going to camp a lot of this trip to keep costs down plus camping is fun. The train ride in the history rich oil country looks like a go. I took a train in Arizona and one in Colorado, Durango to Silverton. Sitting out the open area is great.
Old 06-05-19, 03:37 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I did Franklin to Emlenton as part of a cross-PA tour maybe 5 years ago. Pretty ride. Saw deer and bald eagles. There is one short section (about .75 miles) where you have to detour off the old rail bed. It's unpaved, but was easily rideable when I did it. There is a private campground just outside the center of Emlenton. Franklin has a couple of motels. Note that the trail changes names to the Samuel L. Justus Trail (or something like that) north of the Franklin area.

Most definitely have a good light for the tunnels.

That is a local sore spot. The property owners in that area did not want riders going past their place. They went to court. Trail organizers finally gave up and put the detour in. It really sucks.

I would not define it as "easily rideable" at all. The path leading to the road from the north bound side is very rough and steep. Once you reach the road, it is very rough to start it does smooth out a bit then becomes very rideable.
Old 06-05-19, 04:15 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Good to know about the campground in Emlenton. Going to camp a lot of this trip to keep costs down plus camping is fun. The train ride in the history rich oil country looks like a go. I took a train in Arizona and one in Colorado, Durango to Silverton. Sitting out the open area is great.
The train ride in Oil City is just a short excursion ride. You will be able to ride it faster, most likely.

There used to be a hostel in Emlenton. But I think it may have bruned with the ice cream store. That was a sad day to see the ice cream store go. I loved that place.

There is a caboose motel in Titusville that looks kind of interesting.

There is free camping just across the river from Franklin. Pretty spot and convenient to town but kind of noisy due to the nearby road. There is another site further south that is prettier and might be quieter though I have never stayed there.

Any paid camping in Emlenton would be a pretty good climb. I stayed with a warmshowers host up near the interstate. It was worth the climb. A very nice and interesting stay.
Old 06-07-19, 04:39 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I live in Columbus and have ridden all sections of the Ohio to Erie trail many times including going the whole way from Cinci to Cleveland last August. Going from Cols. to Cinci is a two day trip at most unless you plan on stopping and sight seeing. I would recommend a side trip to Yellow Springs which is a quaint little town not far from Xenia. There are some pretty good camping sites in that area. If you want more information, PM me.