Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Rutherford/East Rutherford June 29 - 30

Northeast Connecticut | District of Columbia | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Rutherford/East Rutherford June 29 - 30

Old 06-15-19, 08:28 AM
  #1  
NewATBikeComute
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Boston-ish
Posts: 206

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rutherford/East Rutherford June 29 - 30

I will be in either Rutherford or East Rutherford for work for the weekend of June 29 - 30. I expect to be wanting (needing) to take a ride after work (after 5 on Saturday, probably anytime after 3pm on Sunday).

I don't know that area at all. Are there any good riding areas? I am down to just a road bike, with wide-ish 32mm tires.

Particularly on Sunday, though I have to drive home, I could hang out for a while if anyone is interested in hooking up for a ride. I will be returning to the Boston area afterwards, so anything between there and eastern New England is a potential meeting up point.

Edit: Note: I am primarily looking for some suggestions on where to ride, but would also enjoy riding with someone who knows the area.

Last edited by NewATBikeComute; 06-16-19 at 05:36 AM. Reason: clarify request
NewATBikeComute is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 04:32 PM
  #2  
UniChris
Senior Member
 
UniChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NYC
Posts: 757

Bikes: 36" Unicycle

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 48 Posts
In terms of ride ideas rather than meetups, going further into NJ there's the D&R Canal towpath, it's unpaved but I'd guess you'd be okay on 32s. Nearest part is between New Brunswick and Princeton but there's a further part northwest into PA from Trenton.

Making your way back via NY on roads you could do the Bear Mountain ride up the west side of the Hudson and back starting from the NJ side of the GWB (also through the park at water level under the bridge - no personal experience, but everyone talks about it). Avoiding that you could do the South County / North County / Putnam trail up the middle of Westchester (a little bumpy in spots though). If you pass through CT the Farmington Canal trail bisects the state north from New Haven up to Westfield MA is really nice, also the Airline Trail is an (apparently easy) gravel ride many people say great things about that I'm yet to see.

NYC itself is probably worth skipping, the Hudson River greenway can be scenic but it keeps growing new aggravations. (And they really mean those traffic lights...) . Still, you can probably get on the PATH train from jersey city or wherever (or an NJ transit heavy rail trail) with your bike on a weekend and see a bit of NYC riding up the river and back down. With a small light it's fine (and well used) after dark, too.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-16-19 at 04:41 PM.
UniChris is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 06:30 PM
  #3  
zacster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 6,057
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If you are talking in the immediate vicinity of Rutherford, just forget it.
zacster is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 08:29 PM
  #4  
NewATBikeComute
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Boston-ish
Posts: 206

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris View Post

Making your way back via NY on roads you could do the Bear Mountain ride up the west side of the Hudson and back starting from the NJ side of the GWB (also through the park at water level under the bridge - no personal experience, but everyone talks about it)... .
Hey thanks for the suggestions. I like the sound of Bear Mountain, looks like some good hills and scenery as well. I'm going to check this out some more.

I just bought a specialized sirrus, older model 8 speed. Needs a little work (slightly stretched chain, so replacing the cassette as well), but much better than my road bike for this trip. Currently has 700x32, but I think some 38s should be no problem.

Zacster, that's just perfect.
NewATBikeComute is offline  
Old 06-18-19, 03:13 PM
  #5  
ridingfool
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NewATBikeComute View Post
I will be in either Rutherford or East Rutherford for work for the weekend of June 29 - 30. I expect to be wanting (needing) to take a ride after work (after 5 on Saturday, probably anytime after 3pm on Sunday).

I don't know that area at all. Are there any good riding areas? I am down to just a road bike, with wide-ish 32mm tires.

Particularly on Sunday, though I have to drive home, I could hang out for a while if anyone is interested in hooking up for a ride. I will be returning to the Boston area afterwards, so anything between there and eastern New England is a potential meeting up point.

Edit: Note: I am primarily looking for some suggestions on where to ride, but would also enjoy riding with someone who knows the area.
Not sure of your exact riding plans but I live one town away from East Rutherford and ride towards bear mountain all the time. Would be glad to show u the route even ride most of it with you . Just keep in mind if I read your post right think you wanted to start at about 3pm on Saturday bear mountain is alot of climbing and take a good 6 hrs both ways without stopping much as mentioned in another post riding in the Rutherford area is not to good need to get more North of Jersey for any good riding . Let me know if you still plan on riding that weekend weather permitting of course
ridingfool is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 06:14 PM
  #6  
NewATBikeComute
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Boston-ish
Posts: 206

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridingfool View Post
Not sure of your exact riding plans but I live one town away from East Rutherford and ride towards bear mountain all the time. Would be glad to show u the route even ride most of it with you . Just keep in mind if I read your post right think you wanted to start at about 3pm on Saturday bear mountain is alot of climbing and take a good 6 hrs both ways without stopping much as mentioned in another post riding in the Rutherford area is not to good need to get more North of Jersey for any good riding . Let me know if you still plan on riding that weekend weather permitting of course
Unfortunately, due to family issues, I won't be going on the trip.

Bear mountain looks really interesting, and I really appreciate the warning, and the offer. I am not in good enough shape to tackle a 6 hour ride, even if I was going to be in the area.

Perhaps another time. On the flip side, if you should happen to be in the general vicinity of Boston, or the Cape, let me know.
NewATBikeComute is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.