Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Heel cut by spokes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Heel cut by spokes

Old 06-24-19, 07:20 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Heel cut by spokes

I've been riding road bikes for just about 40 years. This was a first for me. All my bikes have LOOK Delta format pedals on them. I don't know if I don't have the cleat tight enough, or if it's the side-to-side arc that the cleat allows. But on one bike, the inside toe of the left shoe will frequently/suddenly begin rubbing on the crank (I don't have the problem with the right shoe). To make it stop rubbing, I'll just pivot my left heel inward just a bit. But today, after I just crested a hill and rolling along at the beginning of the downhill about 14-15mph I did the pivot and the cleat popped out...and my heel right into the rear spokes. It broke a spoke. Shoe was OK. It hurt like M-F'er at first...on the back of the heel just below the Achillies tendon...but there didn't appear to be any blood. I got home and discovered a nice little cut there. But still not much bleeding.

Dan
Old 06-24-19, 07:32 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I had a nice little pinch once at low speed. Cleat was still in, i was kinda twisting around in the saddle. Didnt break a spoke...but probably pretty close. Hurt like hell too.
Old 06-25-19, 09:37 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
As a youth I was riding double on the handlbars when I got my bare foot in the front spokes. It broke every spoke but 3, talk about hurt. No blood.
Old 06-25-19, 11:26 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by popeye
As a youth I was riding double on the handlbars when I got my bare foot in the front spokes. It broke every spoke but 3, talk about hurt. No blood.
Had and incident like that when my younger brother and I were kids. He was riding on the handlebars.

Dan
Old 06-25-19, 11:27 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Maintenance complete. I might add that truing a wheel with bladed spokes isn't fun.

Dan