Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Shimano dynohub stopped working

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New Shimano dynohub stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-19, 10:38 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Since you're getting juice out of the hub, and you have described the light in disparaging terms (I think you called it "cheap") and it is apparently broken...Perhaps just buy a new light?
Old 06-27-19, 11:54 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffOYB
here is my light. I unmounted it and cant see any way inside.
That light was assembled from parts (probably by a child) so it can be taken apart. Someone will have to examine it closely and figure it out; chatting won't get it done.
Old 06-27-19, 11:56 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
That light was assembled from parts (probably by a child) so it can be taken apart. Someone will have to examine it closely and figure it out; chatting won't get it done.
i'm guessing it was glued together. i'm pretty good w assembly and such. is it possible breezer used a light that's not possible to open for replacing a bulb/emitter, etc.?

body is a single plastic piece. switch is flimsy and has no visible way to remove. lens front has a seam but is fixed. like it was assembled then glued shut.
Old 06-27-19, 12:11 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah i should just get another. It's just that it's a new bike and still under warranty. I suppose any replacement would fail soon, too. Yeah, new light seems the ticket. Probably juice going into it and nothing coming out says it's the flimsy headlight at fault. Maybe that's why Breezer has stopped replying as well. However! I see in this thread that someone says the Uptown comes w a famous model of light. Hmmm... maybe Breezer would upgrade it for me rather than keep sending me the cheapy? Ha... I guess that's no longer a Mechanics question then...
Old 06-27-19, 12:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
well you did express some online buyer's regret.. did you not?

you have to contact the seller to sort out a warrantee claim.. not the importer ..

its an upstream reversing of the the supply stream-flow.
Old 06-27-19, 02:18 PM
JeffOYB

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
what's a nice headlight upgrade if breezer won't do that for me. i see their newer bikes have the B&M Lumotec Lyt. looks like they're $45 online.
Old 06-27-19, 02:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

If you are willing, order German lights shipped from Germany, or France, you might save money..

I have the B&M Eyc Senso T , I installed on my Brompton ... (My LBS has an account with peter white wholesale)

Senso T is the daylight running and stand light feature.. 50 Lux , Lyt is 20

IQ-X is their brightest one @ 100 Lux..

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.php

Old 06-27-19, 06:20 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Yep, I don't believe you'll have much luck taking that apart, but take it off the mounting to see if there is a screw underneath. I'd suspect the switch more than the lamp so perhaps working it some may help. I like the Busch and Mueller lights and currently have an IQ-X and an older Lumotec CYO CN. As fietsbob suggests, ordering it from one of the German online retailers like Bike24 will save you some money. Even the UK sellers may be cheaper. However, Peter White is worth buying from because of his knowledge and support.
Old 06-28-19, 09:38 AM
JeffOYB

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Yep, I don't believe you'll have much luck taking that apart, but take it off the mounting to see if there is a screw underneath. I'd suspect the switch more than the lamp so perhaps working it some may help. ...
for sure i've already studied and dismantled as much as possible. i've tried to wedge off the lens part -- it's glued. no screws. the switch feels like crap but no way to adjust it.

only fix is if breezer gives us a box of 5 of those lights or upgrades it to a lumotec like on their newer models. i hope they dont even have any of the cheap old lights.

the original shop built it up w a terrible job on the wiring. there is excess wrapped around. (tho the lack of juice occurs in the headlight BEFORE the excess wiring.) maybe breezer will also pay our shop to tidy that up right.

anyway this is now a warranty or new product issue so i wont bug this forum anymore. thanks for all the thoughts!

if the warranty doesnt sort it quick i'll just buy a lumotec myself and install.
Old 06-28-19, 11:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

so your multi-meter test reading, isolated the DNF to the light, the hub was putting out power?
Old 06-28-19, 01:16 PM
JeffOYB

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
yes
Old 06-28-19, 06:00 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Good luck. Let us know how it gets resolved.