Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

GAP Trail 3 day tour - questions

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

GAP Trail 3 day tour - questions

Old 05-27-19, 11:32 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
Not a bike trail. Just a trail. I think there’s a sign saying to walk your bike, but sign or no, I predict you will walk your bike. It is short on the map, but steep and unpleasant and it does not feel short at the end of the day.
It is very steep and very rocky. I don't see how anyone would be able to ride up except maybe the most fit rider. Once you are up, there is more up as you need to get to the office.

If you are going up there and have food, it is probably OK. But if you plan on coming into town for meals, I don't think it is worth the climb.

@robow and I tried to camp there one year. We got to the top. Realizing we needed to go back into town for dinner, we said screw it, went into town and ot a room.
Old 05-27-19, 12:03 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
On an unloaded mountain bike, the trail would be work but fun to climb. But on my loaded touring bike with treadless tires, it was too rutted and slippery and I eventually had to walk my bike. Now that was a while back and so things may have changed.
Old 05-27-19, 12:30 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I reserved a campsite at Ohiopyle SP Thurs-Sun June 13-16 and will be riding to GAP from there both ways. I cruised through a few years ago a week before July 4 and didn’t find it crowded. Now I hear of congestion. I guess I can deal with it I’ve dealt with Houston rush hour many times Once my camp is setup I won’t have to venture far because I will be fully stocked and won’t have a need for eateries. Anyways I’m going to be there crowded or not. The Pittsburgh Gazette said they got some construction done in time for the Memorial Day weekend. My bike won’t be loaded down too much just a half frame bag. Got in a 3 hour traffic jam in Cincinnati due to bridge construction on my last trip to PA talk about watching other motorists lose it I just cranked up Ozzys Boneyard on XM radio a chilled. What else can you do? If the climb from the trail head is too steep I will just walk to bike up. On the C&O a few years ago a tunnel was close so you went hiking for a few miles. I’m going to ride the GAP but will also taking time to chill jump in the river and relax some. We went to Ohiopyle all the time when we lived in Pittsburgh but it was 1973 . Whatever the situation will be I’m going to have a blast.
You will have to walk the bike up. Unless it has changed, the, "trail," is very rocky and steep, and not something you will ride a loaded bike up. I walked my bike up after a 70 mile day though, and I will say it was probably the most difficult part of the day. The initial climb from where I live in the Pittsburgh area was rough, but that "walk" up to the campground was tough after the day I had. I love the campground though.
Old 05-27-19, 02:26 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by robow
On an unloaded mountain bike, the trail would be work but fun to climb. But on my loaded touring bike with treadless tires, it was too rutted and slippery and I eventually had to walk my bike. Now that was a while back and so things may have changed.
If anything, it is actually worse now. But I am not planning to find out either way. I will leave that up to a much younger more intrepid soul.
Old 05-28-19, 12:09 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts
You guys thanks for all the heads up on stuff. I will be driving over 1500 miles to get here. Luckily I have a sag wagon to assist me so if the incline is a mother I’ll jump in the sag wagon I’m all crazy excited about this trip looking forward in a few weeks
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-08-19, 06:28 PM
riceowls

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Diamondback Century 2, Trek T2000 tandem, K2 Enemy cyclocross, Bike Friday tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here is a quick update - our 3 day tour was awesome! We decided to do it in SE direction and that was the right choice - I now appreciate the point about the views only get better as you go with the highlight of Easter continental divide coming up on the third day. It would've been disappointing and perhaps anti-climatic to go in the other direction. Here is quick recap if someone bumps into this thread and would be looking for suggestions:
Day 1 - started late ~11am from University/Oakland area as out flight only got in at midnight and we needed time to assemble the bike. Late lunch at West Newton and then overnight stay and dinner at The Inn At Lenora's at Perryopolis. The town is small but have a picturesque polish catholic church (Byzantine Catholic church). I wish we new in advance to arrange the visit to see inside of it - apparently it is very beautiful! The inn and the restaurant were just amazing - just outstanding hospitality. We were the only guests (July 4th) but felt super-welcomed. One of my favorite B&B stays of all time. The dinner was wonderful - pricey (especially wine) but worth it.
Day 2 - started after wonderful breakfast and received road snacks from the hostess. Rode to Ohiopyle where we've arranged for a shuttle to take us to Fallingwater for 1pm tour. Amazing place - highly recommended! By the time we were ready to roll again it started raining a bit. We've waited for the rain to stop and rode to Confluence where we stayed overnight at Confluence House Bed & Breakfast. Ok place but somewhat disappointing as far as B&B experience goes (self-check in, breakfast is tasty but clearly cooked a day before). Had dinner in River's Edge Cafe - very good, call in advance to reserve patio seating - great views!
Day 3 - Rode to Confluence. Highlight views of the trail - viaducts, tunnels, waterfalls, bridges... Once over the continental divide we nearly doubled our speed. Took Amtrak back to Pitt. Train was late but that gave us more time for food and drinks on Baltimore street...

Likes For riceowls:
Old 07-08-19, 07:54 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
You guys thanks for all the heads up on stuff. I will be driving over 1500 miles to get here. Luckily I have a sag wagon to assist me so if the incline is a mother I’ll jump in the sag wagon I’m all crazy excited about this trip looking forward in a few weeks
I'm impressed! I always thought of GAP as being more for regional folks but I guess it is a bit unique in the US.

Originally Posted by riceowls
Here is a quick update - our 3 day tour was awesome! (snip) Day 2 - started after wonderful breakfast and received road snacks from the hostess. Rode to Ohiopyle where we've arranged for a shuttle to take us to Fallingwater for 1pm tour. Amazing place - highly recommended!

Pretty, I missed prev mentions that Fallingwater was so close to GAP. Some folks say Rt 381 is hairy but I dunno...PA is full of hilly/narrow/twisty roads...little local flavor maybe.
Old 07-09-19, 05:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Buffalo Bill's house (sans basement) from "The Silence of the Lambs" is across the river from Perryopolis. It was on the market for a long time and finally sold a few years ago.
Old 07-12-19, 05:17 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I'm impressed! I always thought of GAP as being more for regional folks but I guess it is a bit unique in the US.
People come from all over the world to ride the GAP. I hosted a couple from Germany that planned on ending their round the world tour on the GAP / C&O

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Pretty, I missed prev mentions that Fallingwater was so close to GAP. Some folks say Rt 381 is hairy but I dunno...PA is full of hilly/narrow/twisty roads...little local flavor maybe.
There is a shuttle.
Old 07-12-19, 10:32 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
Thanks for the update, and well done! I'm glad you had a great time. It is a wonderful ride. My wife and I ride the GAP often since we live near. SO happy to hear from others who enjoy it as much as we do.