Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Old 03-02-05, 11:39 PM
brajdicm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Just turned 50

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Lemond Maillot Jaune and a Dahon Speed 8 flolder

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Just a multi vitamin

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

Not much.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Biked throught college till I married. Started up again 2 years ago on my old Raliegh Comp from the seventies (after a complete restoration and refit with Campy Daytona/Record mix). Cracked the frame and moved the components to a NOS 2002 Lemond Maillot Jaune frame I found at a local LBS.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
Ride just for fun and commute to work 2 - 3 times per week during DST.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

2-3 time per week DST, About 1800 per year.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

Walking and hiking
Old 03-05-05, 01:35 PM
CycleBob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great idea, DnvrFox. Always good to trade ideas and experience with others of similar interest.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

Turned 60 in November

Just bought a Litespeed Classic w/Ultegra triple.

My "beater" is now my first road bike, bought new via eBay 3.5 years ago -- a 2001 Univega Modo Vincere with Campy Veloce triple, Columbus Thron (steel), upgraded with carbon fork, Speedplay Zero pedals and, as I got semi-serious about TTs last year, a Profile Airstryke aerobar.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Yes, too numerous to quickly mention here.

Hard to say, as a semi-newbie, but I'd like to think I can still get quicker.

Coming up on my fourth season on a road bike. I'd ridden bikes as a kid, of course, but resumed only semi-seriously in the 80s. I've had knee problems (old sports injuries) but rincreasingly through the '90s I rode a mountain bike on a local trail system for fitness, as I'm unable to run.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

All the above, except commuting. On weekends I ride a local metropark -- 9-mile loop I usually do 2, 3 times on Sat and Sun. A couple nights a week I ride a club ride, 36 on Mondays, 24 on Wednesdays, and sometimes a local shopride of about 24 miles on Thursdays -- but that group is squirrely, different every week, with no discipline and I had crazy woman ride me off the road on the outside of a high-speed turn, so I've tapered back with that group.

My club also does a monthly Personal Achievement Time Trial on a 10-mile closed course. I cracked 30 minutes last spring, finished year close to 28s, and had some age-class success with local and state TTs.

I finished last year with 5,300 miles, including a couple centuries, my second MS150 and the Marion leg of the Assault on Mt. Mitchell.

per above, 4-5 times a week, 5,300 miles last year

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

I used to play a lot of golf, but cycling's my new passion. I've hit spinning classes in the gym pretty heavily the last two winters, and plan to add resistance training on a year-round basis as I search for continued improvement.

Cycling's allowed me to resume skiing pain-free, something I've not been able to enjoy for 20 years. I'm a double knee replacement waiting to happen (no cartilage in either -- just bone on bone). But cycling has helped me to drop weight and get my legs in much better shape than they've been in years. I'm 6'1 (was closer to 6'2 before a pair of tibial osteotomies around 1990) and now weight 200. This time four years ago I was over 230. Since then I've been as low as 186 but still tend to add weight in the winter. To my recent surprise, I was able to enjoy a couple of days skiing with none of the pain -- during and after -- that had plagued me through the 80s and 90s.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??
Old 03-08-05, 01:13 PM
blandin
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please tell us your age.

KHS Flite 800
KHS Flite 2000
Basso Coral
Scattante CFR Limited Edition

Too many to list.

I didn't start cycling until I was 47, so I really can't compare.

Other than having bikes as a kid, I didn't start cycling seriously until late 1997, so it's been about 8 years.

I ride solo on the weekends on a paved bike trail that runs along the American River in Sacramento, CA. My rides range from 27 to 50 miles and I average between 19 and 20 mph over the distance.

I ride twice each weekend unless its raining. Annual mileage is about 1250.

I have a stationary bike that I use from time to time during the week. Very infrequent weight lifting.

54 years old.
Old 03-08-05, 04:27 PM
semegrant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

road bikes such as Trek 2300

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown
older?
Don't need any - eat everything and enjoy it

Only started riding 4 years ago and have gotten stronger. Normal aches and pains of my age

4 years ago. Limited cycling as a kid and when my kids were young

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute,
tour, race?
Mostly touring and recreation
Did a few weekend tours and long one 7 days in Holland with a buddy and Michigan 12 days with my bike club

Ride about once to max twide a week. Mileage this past year was 2711. Been over 2000 each of last three years

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing,
running, etc.?
I am a tennis player and exercise lt weights, stretching every day. Still scuba dive when in Carribean and used to play softball

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications
until you visit the forum again.

Yours,
Bike Forums team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 03-12-05, 09:17 PM
OldShacker

Bikes: Cannondale R300, RT1000, Trek1000c, EZ sport cx, EZ Tandem (tuna boat)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 1000C, Cannondale R300, Cannondale R1000
Diabetic so I take One a day, Beta Carotene, E, C, and Zink along with the diabetic stuff.
Not much, I ride the tandem hard with my wife and commute sometimes the same day. I just do not like to ride too far (more than 60 miles is long for me now). Out of 350 employees I am the only one that commutes at all. (25 miles round trip)
4. How long have you been biking?
Since I was 10 and really have yet to stop.
5. What type of biking do you do?
Commuter and short rec rides with my son and tandem with wife.
This is Ohio so now that I am older I hibernate for 2 months and Commute when the weather is around 40 plus. Trainer spinning when I can. 25 miles a day Monday-Friday then Tandem rides on Saturday and Sunday about 20 to 35 miles on weekends for about 7 months.
7. Do you do any other type of physical activities? Bowling, walking. Yard work and more Yard work.
The main reason I ride is because I can and I measure my miles in time now.

Last edited by OldShacker; 03-12-05 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-13-05, 07:57 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Hey, oldshacker, you just turned 50. What's with this "old" stuff?

Welcome
Old 03-14-05, 05:27 PM
OldShacker

Bikes: Cannondale R300, RT1000, Trek1000c, EZ sport cx, EZ Tandem (tuna boat)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Hey, oldshacker, you just turned 50. What's with this "old" stuff?

Welcome
So True, Just a kid, give me 4 months and then 51. The Oldshacker is a play on Neuhauser (new houser) Plus I look older than I am and most of all feel.
Old 03-16-05, 10:39 AM
dogbro

Bikes: 2 Cannondales

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. 2 - cannondales - 1 road 1 mountain.
2. My wife feeds me vitamins. I don't know what all. I eat a lot of carrots. Several pounds per week.
3. I feel good. Stronger even than my twenties.
4. I can probably say that I biked all of my life. I did take a sabbatical for about 20 years of smoking and drinking. That isn't to say that I totally quit biking. Probably averaged 100 per year for those years.
5. Biking now is mostly commuting. I try to tour on weekends often. I am going to race. I did pretty well at the Skinny Tire Festival.
6. I usually bike every day commuting. That gives me about 100 per week. sometimes I get 50 on a weekend. Maybe 5000 per year. That seems a high estimate... so I'll caveat with 'projected'
7. Skiing ... I am backing away from that. Too much risk of permanent injury. My wife is more amenable to participate in bikeing.
Old 03-17-05, 02:01 PM
OhiOH
But I'm saving $ on gas!

Bikes: LeMond Victoire (pure fun), Trek 1200 (commuter), Trek 930 MTB (winter commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LeMond Victoire (pure titanium fun), Trek 1200 – ‘89 (commuter), Trek 930 MTB – ‘92 (winter commuter)

Beer?

Not much. Experience is a great teacher

Seriously riding since 1986

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Commute. Weekend recreational. Some organized centuries.

Commute 5 days a week (34 miles round trip) all year. Road over 5,000 in 2004. Should do 6k 2005 (longer commute)

Last edited by OhiOH; 04-01-05 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-18-05, 01:55 PM
CDR114

Bikes: Jamis Eclipse, Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2002 Jamis Eclipse, 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2

No

Just starting back up again after a long absence, so I am 3-5 mph slower. I feel that some of this is due to conditioning, not age. However, I am about 5 to 8% slower in snow ski racing than when I was in my 20's (USSA points, which are self adjusting for technology and changes in technique, because in raw times I am now actually faster due to advances in ski technology). So part of this could be age!

I was very active in touring, commuting and recreation riding in the 70's. I changed to running in the 80's and 90's due to my wife's interest in running. Now after knee surgery a couple of years ago, I am back to the bike. I think my wife will be joining me soon as she just had knee surgery late last year

3 to 4 times a week doing 12-18 mile conditioning rides and try to do long ride on the weekend, sometimes a tour, most of the time just solo. I would like to try a race if I can get my average speed up to 20+. Currently in the 16 to 18 range for 20 to 30 miles.

See #5 for how often, my goal this year is 3,000 miles

Skiing and baseball

Old 03-18-05, 06:55 PM
blacktom
Tuggo

Bikes: Trek 2500, Burley Tandem, beater tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is Brian. I am 67.

1) Bike New Scott Team Issue on order. Old bike is a 1990 Trek 2500. Tourer is a converted Specialized Hard Rock with drop bars. Soon to have disc brakes. Front & rear panniers for French tour in October.

2) No, but I eat right.

3) At 55 I was faster than I was at 20, but now I am now slower. How much depends on the day.

4)All my life with significant amounts at ages 14 - 22; 50 - 55 and now 66 - **********

5)Everything but race, which I did in my youth ( maybe later).

6) 4,000 last year. Hope to double that in 2005.

7) No
Old 03-23-05, 01:42 PM
Desertrat

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano, Rivendell touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 53. Have been bicycling for about 45 years. I am a commuter of about 20 miles per day, and try to ride on weekends so I get about 200 miles per week in. Have a Novara hybrid bike, and a new Atlantis.
I tour when I can, usually taking two to three weeks in the summer. I do take vitamins, am trying to lose another 20-30 lbs this year, currently using the South beach diet, which is working very well. The wife and I are into bed and breakfast touring as well. Our ultimate tour, which we hope to do in a couple of summers from now, is to B&B the northern Italian countryside for a few weeks.
Old 03-25-05, 04:32 PM
Prairieroots

Bikes: Felt SR81; Bianchi Auto-Milano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Bianchi Auto-Milano for commuting
Felt SR81 for everything else

a multi-vitamin called Levity Plus

I'm in the best shape and health (physical and mental) of my life right now.

I rode a single speed bike as a kid, thought I was hot stuff when I got a 3-speed as a teenager, and bike-commuted for a month about 25 years ago until I fell and got a concussion (those were pre-helmet days). I started bicycling last spring after losing 80+ lbs, by mid-summer I worked up the nerve to go group riding with a local club, and by the end of autumn, I was bike-commuting (8 mi round trip) every day, joined the bike club, and went on group rides at least 2x a week. Bought a new bike a couple of weeks ago, took it out for the first time today.

Commute, short rec rides, working my way up to long(er) rides. Longest ride was 34 mi.

For my first season last year, I biked ~500 mi.

Weightlifting, hiking/walking, water aerobics

Old 03-25-05, 10:47 PM
slugo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time
Is this correct way to join in the conversation?
Old 03-30-05, 03:42 PM
Thomas Nicholas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ride a Specialized M4

I take multi-vitamins

I am in the best physical and mental health of my life

Riding actively for 4 yrs.

I ride approximately 30-50 miles 3x a week

I ride approximatley 3,000 miles per year
Old 03-31-05, 08:43 AM
Baggsy

Bikes: '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just found the forum and turned 50 last October. My wife and I separated last X-mas and are divorcing. I moved to town and decided I wanted to get back in shape again. After walking to work for a month or so, an old friend at work said I needed a bike. I've biked off an on all my life until I moved into the country where a mnt bike would have trouble getting around. My friend then gave me a '73 Schwinn Varsity. My first bike as a lad was a Schwinn Typhoon. The Varsity brought back many, many good memories, and the wind in my face let me forget many of my current problems. I 'upgraded' the Varsity with cruiser handlebars and an old generator light. I haven't missed a day yet commuting to work (coldest day was 8 degrees above). I started going to a local auction house that has weekly auctions and starting picking up cheap furniture to furning my rental house with. While there, I REALLY starting noticing the bikes. Instead of a couch and table and chairs I've ended up with a 1964 Schwinn Racer in immaculate shape, a 1988 Schwinn mnt bike for my oldest son, a Specialized Hardrock mega for my youngest son, and a Free Spirit ten speed. Then a couple weeks ago I hit a tool auction that took all damn day to get thru. It was a couple estates with alot of tools. Towards the very end, a bike was unearthed from behind two old bookcases that was unseen until then. Loose handle-bars, chain flopping, flat tires, and nobody even bid except myself. It's a 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, with the SA three speed and hand brakes. It's just a beauty! Same year as my birthday. It's my current project and will bring back all those memories of the old Typhoon. These old bikes have healed me more than any phsychiatrist ever could have...

A recently refinished, widened road west of me lets me get in decent 20 mile rides with most of it being uphill. It kicked my butt the first few times. Now, I'm not much quicker on it, but I can do the loop without sounding like a lungshot steer. The best (worst?) part about living in this part of Wyoming is the wind. I have made that ride against 40-50 mph winds, and that is truly a workout. When the weather is too bad to ride, I have taken to running, something I haven't done since college. At first I could barely run 3/4's mile before needing a rest. Now I'm over three miles and still standing at the end. I'm going to enter a duathlon in Laramie in June. My main goal of the race is NOT to finish last.

I'm not on any med's and 'try' to eat healthy. I've been active all my life and have hunted and fished as well as guided hunters all my life. But now I'm in the best shape I've been in in years and feel like the sky is the limit. Thinking of running in the Senior Olympics this year just to get a taste of that.

Also, if it doesn't show, I like the old vintage bikes. I like the new ones too, but damn they have a price-tag that I just can't get over. We only have one LBS and they have a corner on the market with their prices showing it. Something about bringing an old bike back from the dead and breathing new life into it for another 30 years or so of riding just feels right to me. I guess I'm hoping someone will do that with me when they find me in the dumpster...

Thanks for listening

Baggsy-Wy
Old 03-31-05, 07:59 PM
PAlt
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 50

Litespeed Tuscany
Klein Hardtail

Multivitamin & mineral suplement

Don't recover as quickly as I used to. Also take longer to build endurance base. Less time to ride with family responsibilities

Riding on and off all my life. Went from 235lbs in mid 30's to 155 lbs, lowered cholesterol from 230 to 140, B/P to 120/70 from 160/100, haven't quit since.

Roadie, enjoy distance rides (50+, Centuries) ridden RAIN, El Tour de Tuscon, Hilly 100,

Try for 1K annually minimum plus it when I can

There are no others that can be discussed here
Old 03-31-05, 08:27 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome!

What's this "Older Roadie" crap?

50? "Older Roadie?" You haven't even started to get "Older!"
Old 04-09-05, 04:03 PM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.
Specialized 2001 Hardrock A1 fs frame, everything on the bike upgraded to xt/xtr, Mavic/Tioga, Thomson, Easton, Rockshox Duke U-turn, etc.

Specialized 2004 Allez Sport Triple; just starting the upgrade process on this bike with Easton/velomax wheels.

Generic Multivitamin

Lots

Since the age of 6 Years old.

Semi-tough mountain bike rides, 1 and 1/2 hours to 3 hrs worth.

Up and down road rides, 1 hour to 2 and 1/2 hours.

Every day in the summer

2 to 3 times per week in spring and fall, when the weather suits me in winter.

No idea on the mileage

nope

Old 04-10-05, 06:24 AM
Bike Tourist
Bike Tourist

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL4.0 EQ ST

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Please tell us your age 69

[B]1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?[/B

1. Specialized Roubaix Comp road bike
2. Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent
3. Trek 540 touring bike with Arkel panniers

Multi-vitamins, chondroitin/glucosamine, saw palmetto

Not noticable

Since my 30's

All the above

Every day. 5 - 8,000 miles annually

Light weights and yoga
Old 04-10-05, 08:02 PM
GreenRiver

Bikes: Gary Fisher Zebrano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

I have a 2003 Gary Fisher Zebrano XXL (63 cm) hybrid.

Centrum multi vitamen, glucosimine suflate, fish oil

I felt like that 4 years ago. I was 285 lbs at the time, am 240 lbs now (6'6"). I feel much better these days. I was at my fitness peak during my rugby playing days in the late '70's through the '80's.

I had a 10 speed Schwinn in college (long, long ago)- it was my rain, snow, shine transportation. I started biking on a regular basis when we moved from Houston to The Woodlands, TX in '94. This is a great place for recreational riding.

Fitness and recreation 15-20 miles per ride.

3-4 times per week. 1000+ miles per year.

Weight lifting, body weight excersizes, walking. Stopped running 15 years ago.
Old 04-10-05, 08:32 PM
roghill1@netzer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi There

In answer to your 50+ questions :

1. I have 3 Mongoose full suspension Mountain Bikes (my favorites) a Fuji Crosstown Comfort Bike and I recently aquired a 1972 vintage Raleigh Road Bike that I am refurbishing.

2. I don't take any vitamin suppliments.

3. I may have slowed down a little, sometimes the brain still thinks it's 20.

4. I have ridden for most of my life. There were only a few times when I didn't have some kind of bike around to ride.

5. I ride both long and short duration recreational rides depending on the time available.

6. I try to get out 4 or 5 times a week (weather permitting.) My yearly total is between 2000 and 2500 miles.

7. Other phisical activities ? I have a 6 year old Daughter who provides all the exercise I could hope for.

My age is 57 with a birthday coming up in June.

Keep Riding, I plan to.

roghill

Old 04-12-05, 07:16 AM
Alyce

Bikes: second hand Raleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
undefinedundefinedundefined

1. Bought used Raleigh from bike shop to see if knees and back could take riding.
2. Yes
3. Average degree, I guess.
4. About 2 months.
5. I'm sure my rides are short by most rider's measurement and would probably be classified as rec.
6. Trying to get in 2 rides a week depending on weather. Don't have annual mileage yet.
7. Treadmill, step aerobics, weights, yoga and pilates tapes, wade fishing, hiking
Age 61
Old 04-14-05, 05:38 AM
rogaine
not the hair stuff

Bikes: Norco Corsa, Repco High Sierra, Peugeot PR 10 & U08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 56

2004 Norco Corsa; c1988 Repco High Sierra MTB; 1970s PX10 var being moved to PX1F

Flaxseed & Emu oils

Fittest I have been for years, no slower.

Biked to/from school; owned something most times since, back into it commuting over last 2 years

Commute & run around for fun, occasional longer

Most days/Dunno - what's a computer?? Maybe 4000K

Walk regularly
Old 04-19-05, 07:03 AM
50+biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Trek 1000C (upgraded to 105). It is comfy.
Lot's of vitamins and Tylenol.
I don't think I've slowed down to much but in reality I guess I'm quite a bit slower than 25 years ago.
I biked alot years ago but kind of got away from it through the 80's and 90's but now I'm back.
I prefer to ride alone or with a friend. I do medium rides. I also do rec rides with my 4 year old son.
I ride at least 10-15 miles a day during the week and I try to ride 20-25 miles a day on the weekend. I guess I ride about 4600-4700 miles a year including time on a trainer in the winter.
Unfortunatly biking is my only regular exercise except for work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.