Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road riders: Managing leg cramps?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 01:52 AM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Those who routinely deal with ride-stopping leg cramps....what's been your solution?

I find that no matter what I do, at about 45 miles, a switch is flipped and my legs go into full-on cramp mode. It happens regardless of effort (be it pushing hard to average 20 mph, cruising at 16 in Z1/Z2, or sitting in the back of a group). I carry mixed Gatorade/water along with some combination of bananas, gels, Clif bars, granola bars, and oatmeal pies and try to eat every hour on the hour. I put in a pretty respectable training load (150-250 miles a week year-round), so the legs ought to be adjusted after four years of cycling, but they never have. In mid-season mode, I can generally manage to reach 65-70 miles if I really watch my effort over the last ~25 miles, but a century has been largely out of the question.

When the cramps set in, and as they worsen, I notice my heart rate will rise at least a full zone, sometimes two, for the same effort and essentially remain there...I assume this is because I'm consistently working harder to overcome the pain (and maybe just a touch of anxiety that my legs are going to lock up and I'll fall over in traffic).

I've heard it said that it's simply a matter of conditioning, that pushing through pain and debilitating cramps will make that given distance easier with time. But is it really more about intake? Is there a specific food or drink I should add during the ride, or prior?
Old 02-10-16, 02:31 AM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Don't know from experience, but I've heard it might be an electrolyte problem. You might include some kind of supplement, especially one that contains potassium. I'm not at all hopeful about working through those debilitating cramps.
Old 02-10-16, 03:33 AM
deex

Bikes: Giant TCR SL 1, Niner Air 9, Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am getting the same thing and it happens every time around 45 miles. I have to rest for 20-30 mins before I can ride again. I want tondo a century but I have not found out yet how to overcome the legs problem yet.
Old 02-10-16, 04:44 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
If your HR is going up towards the end of the ride that is often a sign of dehydration. Also, you seem to be eating a lot for relatively short rides. Try riding with just water and maybe one small snack after a couple of hours. Those who can ride long distances without cramps didn't have to push through pain, they either naturally don't get cramps or found a combination of riding and intake that works for them,
Old 02-10-16, 05:10 AM
billbunton

Bikes: '09 Specialized Roubaix Pro SRAM, '11 BMC RM-01

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, sounds like dehydration to me too. Carry plenty of water, and drink frequently, even if you're not thirsty.
Old 02-10-16, 06:06 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
There have been a lot of threads on cramping on the long distance rando forum and also on the fifty plus thread. I'm pretty sure that age has a lot to do with it, but I'm not really sure that cramping is really understood. My doctor said it isn't really understood, and I haven't found any thing that definitively explains them.

I don't like pain and cramps can be excruciatingly painful. So I get off the bike after about 35 miles. No pain means no pain.

How old are you?
Old 02-10-16, 06:33 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Sounds like a combination of not drinking enough water (empty one water bottle every 12-15 miles) and needing more potassium and/or magnesium.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-10-16, 06:37 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Even oatmeal doesn't prevent cramps.
Old 02-10-16, 06:46 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
57,000 miles with No Cramps during my rides.

I had some at night

This stopped them when my bro told me about it.

I am now a Trike Rider.

Had a thigh cramp at a 10 mile mark.
Standing or nothing would help. Had to wait it out.

Now I carry a can with me at all times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
No Cramps.jpg (92.5 KB, 356 views)

Old 02-10-16, 07:11 AM
deex

Bikes: Giant TCR SL 1, Niner Air 9, Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Cool. How do you think this tonic water helps you? I drink a 25 ounce bottle of water per every 20 miles. I also to a honey stinger at 20 mile mark. I have only done 40 miles three times but the same thing happens at the ~40 mile mark. Not so much cramping but more like total fatigue and burning of my thights. It sucks and I need to find out how to avoid it.
Old 02-10-16, 08:39 AM
slimyfrog

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me it was an electrolyte issue. I discovered adding a Nuun tablet to each of my water bottles solved the issue. Even though I do drink coffee, I'm not sure I like the idea they contain caffeine... At some point I'll look for something similar without the extra sauce.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg

Last edited by slimyfrog; 02-10-16 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-10-16, 08:53 AM
ttusomeone

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When you said it happens at the same distance regardless of how hard you are riding, it made me think it may be a bike fit issue. Have you changed your fit any over the past several years to see if it makes a difference with your cramping?
Old 02-10-16, 09:38 AM
Doc V

Bikes: Novara Trenta Road, Trek ZX6000 MTB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I occasionally get calf cramps and it usually is because I am dehydrated or did not use an electrolyte mix. I have a friend who suffers from them frequently and he has been able to delay their onset using First Endurance EFS drink mix at full strength or by using Sport Legs. I use it at half strength with good results. I too notice that my cramps coincide with a rise in heart rate, usually when I am working for extended periods of time at 100% my functional threshold wattage (FTW) or roughly >93% my maximum projected heart rate.

I find Gatorade too sweet and thick at full strength and at half strength it does not provide enough electrolytes for long rides.
Old 02-10-16, 10:48 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
There's been a lot of threads on handling leg cramps, with no solution that works for everyone.

This Carmichael Training page on leg cramps is interesting.

They discuss two kinds of cramps:

Overload (neuromuscular) cramps from pushing hard. I get this occasionally sometime after a ride. The wrong stretch triggers a very strong cramp. Then, once it's over, I'm fine again. And I get a less severe foot cramp sometimes while riding, usually at a hard effort at the base of a hill.

Exertion cramps, from dehydration, electrolytes, and overheating. I don't think I've had this.

From the link:

there do seem to be some distinct differences between the characteristics of these cramps compared to neuromuscular cramps. Exertion cramps provide a little warning in the form of fasciculations, those small muscle twitches you can see and feel at the skin level. Once the cramping begins in earnest, however, it can spread to muscles that are not being directly stressed. In contrast, neuromuscular cramps are localized to the muscle that’s overloaded and provide no warning.
The Treatment section (scroll down) basically says: ease off the effort. water and electrolytes. cool down. massage.

Last edited by rm -rf; 02-10-16 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-10-16, 10:59 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by deex
Cool. How do you think this tonic water helps you? I drink a 25 ounce bottle of water per every 20 miles. I also to a honey stinger at 20 mile mark. I have only done 40 miles three times but the same thing happens at the ~40 mile mark. Not so much cramping but more like total fatigue and burning of my thights. It sucks and I need to find out how to avoid it.
Total fatigue after 40 miles? Are you pushing hard the whole way? You may just need more riding to build up to these distances.

I've been trying out "zone 2" training, where I do a long ride at an easy pace, low enough that my breathing is barely speeded up. See this polarized training thread. My goal isn't to win the group ride sprints, but to ride comfortably on long day rides.

The theory is that these rides get your body adapted to work more efficiently, burning more fat reserves instead of carbohydrates. I think it's good--even though the effort seems easy, I still feel it in my legs after the ride. I notice that I'm not very hungry after the ride. And it gets you used to sitting on the bike for hours, too. Mix in some shorter rides that attack hills or do sprints.

Last edited by rm -rf; 02-10-16 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-10-16, 11:34 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
For me it was mostly cramps at the top of the thigh behind. It was mostly caused by the seat pressure on the nerves I think. One saddle was really bad. Last year I found a memory foam cover for my Brooks. Very few pains since.
I drink gatorade. I also wizzed a higher cadence a bit more, it helped lots. Stand up often to give the bum a rest.
Old 02-10-16, 11:38 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 130 Posts
[QUOTE=ironwood;18525345] My doctor said it isn't really understood, and I haven't found any thing that definitively explains them./QUOTE]

+1
Science is not able to fully explain cramping. Some people are more prone to it than others.

Sure, salt, potassium and electrolyte supplements maybe can help delay the onset, but they don't negate the cramping for me.
I can have serious cramp seizures (inner thighs) while driving home, likely due to sitting in one position driving the car after a long bike ride. Can be dangerous if I can't pull over to get out and stretch.
Old 02-10-16, 02:16 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
I use zinc and magnesium supplements for days when I ride more than 2 hours, not mega-doses, just enough to be sure I'm getting 100% of daily recommendation. I will drink a V8 either before or after riding for the sodium and potassium. In the summer months (not even that hot here in Seattle) I use Nuun in water bottles.

Someone asked your age, recovery is more important as I get older.
Old 02-10-16, 02:52 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Pickle juice either bought as a drink or just saved from pickle jars works wonders.
Old 02-10-16, 02:58 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Skratch Labs Hyper Hydration. Try it, can't hurt.
Old 02-10-16, 03:10 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
I started getting cramps despite drinking diligently, as well as getting bubble-headed (which I later learned was due to something called water intoxication; [turns out the salt & other trace elements lost on long, sweaty rides are just as important as water.])
If it's a century or event, I'll bring the Endurolytes (they're like salt pills). If it's just a longish training ride on a hot day, I'll grab a bag of salty potato chips during a water stop.

I've also learned that taking Tums will help if you find yourself getting into trouble. Also cramping seems to become more common if I haven't been good about stretching after longer rides.

Good luck.

On mile 79+ on a hot ride, these become unnaturally delicious:

Old 02-10-16, 03:44 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
Pickle juice either bought as a drink or just saved from pickle jars works wonders.
Yeah, I've heard this works after getting a cramp to alleviate it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as a preventative measure.

As others have mentioned, 1 bottle of water with some type of electrolyte supplement (not gatorade) every hour (more if really hot).

Check to see what your workload is on the 45+ mile ride. If you can do 30-40 miles without an issue, try the longer rides at about 80%-90% of the effort of the shorter rides. If you have a power meter, that is best. If you have a HRM, that is better than no technological help. If neither of those, use perceived effort.

Try adding some HIIT workouts once a week, if you don't already do them.

GH
Old 02-10-16, 04:31 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by deex
The Quinine in it stops the cramps.

Old 02-11-16, 12:05 AM
Dreww10

Originally Posted by ttusomeone
When you said it happens at the same distance regardless of how hard you are riding, it made me think it may be a bike fit issue. Have you changed your fit any over the past several years to see if it makes a difference with your cramping?

A few different bikes, different fits, same result.
Old 02-11-16, 12:06 AM
Dreww10

Originally Posted by andr0id
When do you actually drink it? Before the cramps set in, during? How much do you take at a time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.