Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What do you carry on everyday ride?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-16, 11:08 AM
Norboo

Bikes: Trek 5200 and Trek D.S. 8.6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What tools, equipments and whatever else do you carry on an everyday ride?
Also how do you carry it?
Old 04-17-16, 11:32 AM
dougmon 
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I carry a spare tube, tire levers, a patch kit, and some snacks in a small saddle bag. I have a road pump that attaches to the frame, and a water bottle that sits in a water bottle cage on the frame. If I know I'm going to end up someplace nice where I might want to sit a while, I often bring a sandwich.

I always thought the water bottle was overkill, but the first time I ended up somewhere with no water on a 25+ mile ride, I learned that it was necessary.
Old 04-17-16, 11:40 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5789 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Each bike is equipped for the road as follows.

Pump
seat bag small enough to just fit the items below.
tube,
tire levers
hex key (or two) to fit most common hardware
$20.00 emergency dough (or emergency tire boot)

The tubular tire bike has only the pump, spare tire, and hex key.

As I said, I consider the above part of the bike. Just as I don't share the spare tire and jack between two cars, I don't try to share the fundamentals between bikes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-17-16 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-17-16, 11:41 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
2 heavy gold rated D-locks, several small gardening tools (I'm a landscaper), my bike lights in tupperware boxes, my sandwiches etc

then when returning home, I do the daily shopping (milk, bread, food, beers, etc etc which often weighs heavy )

I have 2 large pannier bags plus a rucksack
Old 04-17-16, 11:58 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmon
I carry a spare tube, tire levers, a patch kit, and some snacks in a small saddle bag. I have a road pump that attaches to the frame, and a water bottle that sits in a water bottle cage on the frame. If I know I'm going to end up someplace nice where I might want to sit a while, I often bring a sandwich.

I always thought the water bottle was overkill, but the first time I ended up somewhere with no water on a 25+ mile ride, I learned that it was necessary.
Ditto pretty much plus some cash. I don't carry my wallet so I carry alternate ID as well as a picture of my driver's license on my phone.
Old 04-17-16, 12:12 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Newbie here but I'm packing my Topeak Wedge Pack with a spare tube, CO2 inflator w/two cartridges, tire tools, multitool, cable lock for quick stops, some basic first aid stuff, wipes and a backup battery on longer rides (for iPhone and UE Boom 2). Two cages…one for my water bottle and the other for my UE Boom 2 when I take it.
Old 04-17-16, 12:29 PM
Jimbo47

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The basics on what I need to repair a flat......Done it more than a few times!
Old 04-17-16, 02:22 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Tire pump attached to velcro straps on side of trunk bag, small Park Tools kit with tire levers, spare tube, and cell phone. Sometimes an extra water bottle and snack bars. I carry this is a BV trunk bag mounted on a rear rack. Always go with one bottle in bottle cage.
Old 04-17-16, 02:41 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Each bike is equipped for the road as follows.

Pump
seat bag small enough to just fit the items below.
tube,
tire levers
hex key (or two) to fit most common hardware
$20.00 emergency dough (or emergency tire boot)

The tubular tire bike has only the pump, spare tire, and hex key.

As I said, I consider the above part of the bike. Just as I don't share the spare tire and jack between two cars, I don't try to share the fundamentals between bikes.
When I ride my tubular tire equipped bike I carry a spare tubular tire AND a small bottle of sealant. That's just in case I puncture both tires at the same time like I did in 1986. I was 25 miles from home. Fortunately there was a variety store near when I puctured and i was able to buy electrician's tape and wrap the tires so that thet held enough air to let me ride about 1/2 mile before repumping them. I limped home 1/2 mile at a time.

Cheers
Old 04-17-16, 03:28 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Spare tube(s), tire levers, multi tool, cable lock (mostly to deter joy riders, but still worth having), frame pump, water bottle. And, of course, helmet, gloves, and sunglasses/eyewear.
Old 04-17-16, 04:09 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
In my saddle bag is a spare tube and patch kit, tire levers, a Co2 head and 2 cartridges, 2 mini tools one with hex wrench's the other one is a mini Leatherman with a regular screw driver. Philips and a couple of cutting tools and of cause unfolds to pliers. A cable lock good enough so the bike don't walk away if I have to go into a store to buy water or out of sight using a bathroom. My house keys and $20. Water bottle mounted on frame. I wear a Road ID bracelet. Cell phone in jersey pocket.
Old 04-17-16, 07:10 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
For the past year I carried a spare tube marked as a shrader valve. I actually looked at it this weekend, oops, it's a presta valve! That wouldn't have done me any good, LOL.

Much as everyone else said, spare tube (bought the correct valve yesterday after our lunch), levers, couple of allen wrenches, patch kit.

Then for the ride yesterday I added two 24 ounce water bottles, 18 oz water bottle, 12 oz Powerade, 3 granola bars, and package of beef jerky. I drank the 24 oz bottles, refilled and drank 2 more while on a stop near a water pump, drank one more before lunch, 3 glasses of ice tea at lunch, the remaining 24 oz of water and the Powerade, refilled back at the water pump and chugged down 2 fills, and finished both refills of the 24 bottles back to the car. At the car I slugged down the 18 oz bottle of water. 65 miles, 5 hours of riding and 9 hours total and I drank I think 306 oz of fluids including the Powerade and ice tea.

Conversely, one of the guys I ride with, not sure what he drank at our forever 2 hour lunch, but he only drank a single 24 oz waterbottle the whole ride. Crazy!

As for the Jerky, we stopped, I pulled it out, and had a whole group of people gathered around, "You have Jerky!!!!" I think I got a piece of it, LOL.
Old 04-18-16, 11:05 AM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me, my car key, wallet and my cellphone for exercise tracking purpose. Two bottle water. And a pepper spray in my pant. I only go 15 miles one way and back. So not in a panic mode. hehe
Old 04-18-16, 11:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Keys to My front Door. Money for my Beverages

Not a Hybrid, My folding bike can go Inside with me..
Brompton O bag has 2 Pouches on the back .. Multi tool + Tube and Tire tools in 1 , water in a Bottle in The Other .

News Paper and copies of 'The Nation' To read while I'm There @ Pub.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-18-16 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-19-16, 03:23 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
Like everyone else, a spare tube, tire levers, multitool, and patch kit in my seat bag. A frame pump, water, and my first aid kit. Keys, ID, money. Since I commute, I also carry my stuff in a pair of saddlebags.
Old 04-19-16, 06:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I do a lot of riding in out of the way places and prefer to be independent rather than having to phone for a ride or hitchhike if something goes wrong. So I carry more now on my hybrid than I did years ago when I cycle commuted on a lighter weight road bike. The hybrid already weighed 30 lbs, so adding a few items didn't matter. And I added heavier puncture resistant tires and tubes after four flats in one month last autumn; and a Mirrycle rear view mirror on the handlebar.

On the bike, usually:
*24 oz Polar water bottle, in an inexpensive Nashbar water bottle mount
*Topeak Race Rocket HP mini pump, clipped to the water bottle mount
*Cargo net over the rear rack in case I pick up something on the way, or to hold a windbreaker/rain jacket
*A tough, lightweight and compact hobo bag stuffed under the cargo net. It rolls up about the size of a rolled up t-shirt, but holds a lot. Very handy for a few groceries.
*Two lens pouches from repurposed Lowepro camera waist pack, Velcro'd across the handlebar: one holds a patch kit and multitool; the other holds a first aid kit (which I've used on myself only recently after a couple of minor crashes). For quick trips only a mile away I may leave these home.
*Cable and padlock hooked to the rear of the saddle. If I'm sure I won't be stopping anywhere I may occasionally leave the lock at home. It's my heaviest single item, especially the disc lock.
*Spare tube tucked under the saddle.

In various pockets in the jersey, shorts, on the waistband, etc:
*Small wallet with ID, etc.
*Keys
*Old flip phone for emergency calls -- unlocked, with my contact info accessible and written on tape attached to the back of the phone.
*Locked smartphone, mostly used for maps, riding apps, and snapshots (the GPS feature is handy for returning later with a better camera).
*Banana. Sometimes more than one. And a couple of dollars and loose change. I occasionally encounter homeless folks camped along the way and offer them a snack or a little cash if we happen to stop and chat.
*Couple of pairs of reading glasses. I'm very farsighted and need +1.25 for ordinary computer use and anything at arm's length or slightly longer; and +2 for reading books, my smartphone or tablet, or my cameras (but not the viewfinder). Keep hoping to find one set of bifocals in these strengths.

For longer rides on mixed terrain where I might need some maintenance and adjustment I'll add a spare tire coiled up on the rear rack, a few more tools, tire gauge, WD-40 and chain lube. Maybe a couple of times a month. I like to adjust the tire pressure softer to suit gravel or open fields, then add a bit for the return trip home on pavement.

For shopping errands I'll clip a pair of Nashbar Townies to the rear. Handy open top panniers, just right to hold a single large paper sack per pannier, or two or three plastic bags. And I have a larger trunk bag or heavy duty plastic milk crate for hauling larger and heavier items. But those don't stay on the bike full time.
Old 04-20-16, 07:25 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It depends - on where I am going, what kind of ride it is, who I am going with, and what the expectations are. I have a small saddle bag that has a patch kit, tire levers and a multi-tool. I have never needed any of those things, although I have used the multi-tool to make a simple but not really needed adjustment. I have a small pump on the frame plus a water bottle. I've never used the pump but usually use the water bottle.

I need a slightly bigger saddle bag that can carry my phone, wallet and keys. I don't like carrying them in my pockets. If I'm going for a longer ride and need stuff, I carry a back pack. I used to have a rear rack and bag but I didn't use it that much so I took it off. I also carry a light lock to avoid any thefts of opportunity. I have lights but almost never use them. I have them because I have been caught in the dark.
Old 04-27-16, 12:24 PM
Norboo

Bikes: Trek 5200 and Trek D.S. 8.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So much to carry! Especially the spare tube takes up so much room!
Old 05-03-16, 03:12 PM
DaveTMpls

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see most posters are do-it-yourselfers. I use my bike to commute to work, and my short route takes me past an excellent bike shop with mechanics on duty. My post-mounted bike bag has a hex tool, cleat covers, lock and chain, stuffable rain jacket. Plus of course my work clothes and my lunch. My cell phone is in my shorts, and I've used it on occasion to call the back-up van: wife in station wagon :-)
Old 05-11-16, 07:02 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Cargo pants: my wallet goes into the back pocket, home keys hang from the right-most belt loop, some cash in my right pocket, and my phone goes into whichever of the two leg pockets I happen to slip it into at any given time. I've bought a saddle bag for some multi-tools and a spare tube, but haven't mounted it on either bike yet.
Old 05-12-16, 09:21 AM
rjmeyer67

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 water bottles, 1 with filter; spare tire; bike multitool; lights, 2 front 1 rear; golf jacket if it sprinkles; first aid kit; bee sting Rx; benadryl, frame mounted bike pump. I use an Ibera rack and trunk bag.
Old 05-12-16, 01:57 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Tcp
Old 05-12-16, 07:26 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Rear trunk bag with: Pump, tool kit, spare tube, phone, and snack bars (if going longer).
Old 05-16-16, 10:42 PM
mgonz1

Bikes: Giant Escape

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pump, water bottle, cell phone, wallet
Old 05-17-16, 10:08 AM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Under seat bag with Y wrench, lock, cell phone. Riding sun glasses and water bottle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.