Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rain Alerts?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Rain Alerts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-17, 08:57 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
Rain Alerts?

So here in SoCal I have to deal with maybe only 5-10 rainy days/year. (Don't hate me ).

For a while I've been carrying my raingear with me all the time (ikea poncho, packable rain pants), because I can't get in the habit of checking the forecast every day. But I'm tired of all the space it takes up and they're always in the way.

So I got the idea I'd find a free service online that would monitor weather forecasts and send me an email 48hrs before any predicted rain.

A little googling, and all I could find was too extreme (severe weather alerts from the national weather service) or too often (email the forecast every single day).

All I want is to be able to configure something to send me maybe 20-30 emails/year, whenever there is rain forecast within 48 hours.

Anybody know of an online service like that?

EDIT: The Answer, thanks to JReade, is IFTTT (If This Then That), which has an amazingly flexible infrastructure for setting up automated actions as responses to detectable conditions, including "if it's raining tomorrow then send me an email" (although this is the only one that I have seen that is remotely useful for me).

Everybody else, feel free to tell me how wonderful your life is because you check the weather or get an automated forecast in your email every single damn day.

Last edited by RubeRad; 04-19-17 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 09:21 AM
Texico

Bikes: 2016 Gunnar Roadie, 2010 Cannondale RZ140 4, 2014 Raleigh Tamland 1.0

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't help with finding a service to send you notices, but as a bike commuter I'm checking the weather pretty much every day. The only days I don't are when I've checked the day before and I know there's 0% chance of foul weather already. Weather Underground is pretty much permanently open on my web browser and it's just part of my morning routine to check it. Takes all of a few seconds.
Old 04-19-17, 09:35 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Texico
I can't help with finding a service to send you notices, but as a bike commuter I'm checking the weather pretty much every day. The only days I don't are when I've checked the day before and I know there's 0% chance of foul weather already. Weather Underground is pretty much permanently open on my web browser and it's just part of my morning routine to check it. Takes all of a few seconds.
ditto. as a daily 4 season bike commuter in chicago, checking the weather forecast is the very first thing i do every single morning, even before i get out of bed.

the alarm on my phone goes off. i grab it to shut off the alarm, and then i immediately proceed to check the forecast and radar for the day. it's automatic.

i've never heard of any type of service that will send you an email if there's a chance of rain anytime in the next 48 hours.
Old 04-19-17, 09:41 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Weather Underground has a more-detailed rain/snow forecast but I don't see a way to turn it into an alert.

https://www.wunderground.com/us/ca/g.../precipitation
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-19-17, 09:43 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does anyone have an app that can warn me when I need to eat and pee? Yes I'm trolling a bit but why be so concerned for something that supposedly rarely happens in your area and I would assume is just a very minor inconvenience... unless you're made of cotton candy. Melting is a horrible way to go.

Last edited by BassNotBass; 04-19-17 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-19-17, 09:52 AM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
IFTTT is an app or service that lets you configure stuff, like "If I get an email from sender x, turn my lights on at home". I looked on the site, there are some that are pre-filled like "alert me if there is a high pollen count" and "get an email if there is snow expected tomorrow" so I imagine there is an option for "email me if there is rain past x % chance" or however you want to configure it.

Edit- yep there is.
Old 04-19-17, 10:14 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Thank you JReade for answering my actual question! I don't have a smartphone so I can't use it as an app, but I see there's a Chrome extension that clones it, hopefully that will do the trick.

And no thanks to those of you who posted an 'answer' of 'just check the forecast every day'. I know that checking the forecast every day is a solution to my 'problem', and I also know that for me and my life, it is a solution that doesn't work. I don't watch the news, I don't use a smartphone, when I wake up the computer's not on and I don't want to spend the time to turn it on; I just roll out of bed into my biking clothes, grab underwear, socks, and shirt for work, hop on the bike and go.
Old 04-19-17, 10:18 AM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Thank you JReade for answering my actual question! I don't have a smartphone so I can't use it as an app, but I see there's a Chrome extension that clones it, hopefully that will do the trick.

And no thanks to those of you who posted an 'answer' of 'just check the forecast every day'. I know that checking the forecast every day is a solution to my 'problem', and I also know that for me and my life, it is a solution that doesn't work. I don't watch the news, I don't use a smartphone, when I wake up the computer's not on and I don't want to spend the time to turn it on; I just roll out of bed into my biking clothes, grab underwear, socks, and shirt for work, hop on the bike and go.
I didn't realize that it had a chrome extension. Thanks! I just assumed you had a smart phone. Well, hope it works!
Old 04-19-17, 10:26 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Actually it looks like ifttt.com can be used just via the website. There were already recipes/applets/whatever available for "if it will rain tomorrow, send me an email". So I set that up, and I won't know if it works until maybe November!

Kind of scary though, to hook up to the gmail 'service', it asks for permission to read/modify/delete your emails, labels, etc, even though the applet I applied should only need to send an email.
Old 04-19-17, 10:26 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,924 Times in 2,552 Posts
Here in Oregon, that would be around 250 alerts/year. Seriously, if I were you, I'd put a lightweight rain jacket (maybe a Showers Pass or the like) in a sock and toestrap it to my seatbag for the months where in might rain. Then you can just do your routine and you are covered if it does rain.

I'm a step behind you technology-wise. I have yet to have a smart phone or apps. I do make breakfast and boot the desktop but often don't make a note of the weather beyond looking outside and at the thermometer. (I am riding in bike clothes and keeping work clothes at work, so arriving wet doesn't matter.)

Ben
Old 04-19-17, 10:32 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Here in Oregon, that would be around 250 alerts/year. Seriously, if I were you...
Well guess what, if you were me YOU'D LIVE IN CALIFORNIA! And if I were you, I'd live in not-california, and I'd check the f'in weather every f'in day. Maybe you should set up itfff with "if tomorrow is sunny, send me an email" so you'll know when you don't need to bring your rain gear.
Old 04-19-17, 10:56 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I may have what you need. I have a friend in San Diego that sends me whiny texts whenever it rains - like it's some biblical plague. Send me your number and I will have him add you to his send list.

Anyhow, I check the Weather Underground app on my phone in the evening to figure out what the temp will be on my morning commute. This takes 15 seconds. If it looks like the 3 day forecast is not likely to vary, I won't check again for a few days (in SoCal, you could probably do this once a week). If rain is predicted, I check the Doppler radar map when I get up - this allows me to time the rain-free windows.
Old 04-19-17, 11:08 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
So here in SoCal I have to deal with maybe only 5-10 rainy days/year. (Don't hate me ).

For a while I've been carrying my raingear with me all the time (ikea poncho, packable rain pants), because I can't get in the habit of checking the forecast every day. But I'm tired of all the space it takes up and they're always in the way.

So I got the idea I'd find a free service online that would monitor weather forecasts and send me an email 48hrs before any predicted rain.

A little googling, and all I could find was too extreme (severe weather alerts from the national weather service) or too often (email the forecast every single day).

All I want is to be able to configure something to send me maybe 20-30 emails/year, whenever there is rain forecast within 48 hours.

Anybody know of an online service like that?
Is rain even a big issue if it's 80 when it rains?
Old 04-19-17, 11:22 AM
Fett2oo5

Bikes: '91 Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whoa.

OP I'm glad you found a solution for yourself.
As for all the replies from everyone and then the Re:Re: and then the Re:Re:Re: 's to come.....
Old 04-19-17, 11:51 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
ditto. as a daily 4 season bike commuter in chicago, checking the weather forecast is the very first thing i do every single morning, even before i get out of bed.

the alarm on my phone goes off. i grab it to shut off the alarm, and then i immediately proceed to check the forecast and radar for the day. it's automatic.

i've never heard of any type of service that will send you an email if there's a chance of rain anytime in the next 48 hours.
Double dittoes. On our Comcast cable service we have a channel (245) called Weatherscan that shows the current temp, wind speed and direction, and Doppler over about a fifty mile radius. So I can pretty precisely decide whether to take the beater bike or the pristine carbon fiber.

For more extended forecasts I use Weather.com for hourly forecasts over about two days, and five-day and 10-day forecasts. I find them to be pretty accurate when predicting good weather, but can be variable for rain. As noted, the immediate Doppler of Weatherscan or Weather.com will make the final decision, but at least I’m forewarned.
Old 04-19-17, 12:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
I use weather underground for forecasting. They have a free email service, so I get a one line forecast every morning. If it looks interesting, there's a link to the full forecast.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-19-17, 12:48 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Fett2oo5
whoa.

OP I'm glad you found a solution for yourself.
As for all the replies from everyone and then the Re:Re: and then the Re:Re:Re: 's to come.....
I know, right? For now I'll have fun flaming, eventually I'll get over it.
Old 04-19-17, 12:52 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Anyhow, I check the Weather Underground app on my phone in the evening to figure out what the temp will be on my morning commute. This takes 15 seconds.
Good for you. Do you want a sticker or a button? Guess what, I don't have (choose not to have) a smartphone. Guess what, I have computers all over the place, and they're all connected to the internet, it also takes me 15 seconds to open a tab and type "weather poway<enter>" and see what the forecast is. And guess what; I'VE TRIED THAT AND IT DOESN'T WORK FOR ME because I never remember to do it. Maybe I should set up a service that automatically sends me an email every day to remind me to check the weather.
Old 04-19-17, 12:55 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I use weather underground for forecasting. They have a free email service, so I get a one line forecast every morning. If it looks interesting, there's a link to the full forecast.
FB, FB, not you too! I don't want an email every morning. (a) I found plenty of daily forecast email services, I said in the OP that a daily forecast email was "too often" (b) I don't check email before I ride (c) I don't want to have to turn on the computer every morning to check email before I ride (d) the same email every day I would quickly condition myself to ignore

Last edited by RubeRad; 04-19-17 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 12:58 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Is rain even a big issue if it's 80 when it rains?
I'll allow it as a legitimate question.

Rain at 80deg is what happens in Florida, not California. In California usually there will be no rain at all between, say, June and October. Most of the rain is in the 'winter', Jan/Feb. Overnight temps can sometimes just barely dip below freezing, but that's only on a crystal clear night. CA rain is usually on days when the temp is in the 40s or 50s.
Old 04-19-17, 01:09 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Don't know about you guys, but I'm sick of paying taxes to support the National Weather Service when they can't even schedule their storms worth a crap. Hope Trump will make them get it together or go away.
Old 04-19-17, 01:11 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Added an EDIT to the OP...

Yeesh, I'm starting to understand how mtnbke feels when somebody asks about headset presses and everybody just says 'eh, just use a bolt and a stack of washers'
Old 04-19-17, 01:15 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I'll allow it as a legitimate question.

Rain at 80deg is what happens in Florida, not California. In California usually there will be no rain at all between, say, June and October. Most of the rain is in the 'winter', Jan/Feb. Overnight temps can sometimes just barely dip below freezing, but that's only on a crystal clear night. CA rain is usually on days when the temp is in the 40s or 50s.
Thank you counselor
Old 04-19-17, 01:20 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I believe that should be 'your honor'! All the rest of you, I hold you in contempt of my OP!
Old 04-19-17, 01:27 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Everybody else, feel free to tell me how wonderful your life is because you check the weather or get an automated forecast in your email every single damn day.
You know one thing that's wonderful about living in SoCal? You don't have to check the weather every single damn day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.