Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Univega Competizione

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Univega Competizione

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-18, 11:29 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Hmmm, that's a big hole.

Old 07-01-18, 01:15 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

LBS to the rescue! Wandered in with one of the pad/holders to see what they had. They hand me these Clarks. Same thread, and works with the existing hardware/hex screw, etc.

Old 07-01-18, 01:48 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by casanewt
LBS to the rescue! Wandered in with one of the pad/holders to see what they had. They hand me these Clarks. Same thread, and works with the existing hardware/hex screw, etc.
Wow. That's outstanding. Don't count out the LBS! Those holders look like they take standard modern road pad inserts, so you can try whatever pads you want.

It's nice to have brakes that work. Looking forward to the revised ride report.
Old 07-02-18, 01:33 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Wow! I may not swap out the AGCs after all! Thanks for posting!

Looks like you also get a toe-in adjuster to boot. Very nice!
Old 07-02-18, 10:33 AM
casanewt

Ride report. I took it out last night after the new pads were on. Unfortunately, the new pads only made a slight improvement in braking. Rear wheel braking is the real problem area. Looks like I need to clean and properly prepare the sides of the rims to see if that is the bigger issue. Also, normal reminder to be really careful with the small hex head bolts. One of the front pad bolts is rounded out. I will probably need to use the Torx method to get it out.
Old 07-02-18, 11:14 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by casanewt
Ride report. I took it out last night after the new pads were on. Unfortunately, the new pads only made a slight improvement in braking. Rear wheel braking is the real problem area.
Looks like the pads are set a bit farther from the rim than I prefer. I'd advise you take up some of the cable and get them closer. Also, the cable should be pulled and greased. That bike predates lined housing. Replace if the end is frayed and won't go back. Frankly not a bad idea to replace both housing and cables. True the wheel if needed for clearance.

The rear is always the weaker brake. It's just physics. Also, new pads always take a ride or two to bed in. Stopping power will increase as they do. Keep in mind that those are standard holders, and you can slip in kool stop pads or whatever boutique pads.

Important: vintage bikes were braked from the drop position. They cannot be effectively braked from the hoods like modern bikes. You can use brakes from the hoods for tooling around town or light braking, but you'll only get like half the brake power. I sound like a broken record, but a lot of people don't know this, and it's a safety issue. This is one of the reasons the drops used to be set flatter than they are now. Easier to grab the levers.
Old 07-02-18, 01:29 PM
casanewt

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Looks like the pads are set a bit farther from the rim than I prefer. I'd advise you take up some of the cable and get them closer. Also, the cable should be pulled and greased. That bike predates lined housing. Replace if the end is frayed and won't go back. Frankly not a bad idea to replace both housing and cables. True the wheel if needed for clearance.

The rear is always the weaker brake. It's just physics. Also, new pads always take a ride or two to bed in. Stopping power will increase as they do. Keep in mind that those are standard holders, and you can slip in kool stop pads or whatever boutique pads.

Important: vintage bikes were braked from the drop position. They cannot be effectively braked from the hoods like modern bikes. You can use brakes from the hoods for tooling around town or light braking, but you'll only get like half the brake power. I sound like a broken record, but a lot of people don't know this, and it's a safety issue. This is one of the reasons the drops used to be set flatter than they are now. Easier to grab the levers.
Thanks for the wealth of info. Much appreciated. As is usual with anything that is mechanical and has been around this long, one thing leads to another as you try to sort issues and catch up on maintenance.
Old 07-08-18, 01:21 PM
casanewt

I got the Competizione out for a couple of rides on our local bike paths this weekend. A little over 25 miles total. Brakes are wearing in and getting better with the new pads. This is a fantastic bike.

Old 07-17-18, 09:05 AM
casanewt

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The serial number will tell us the year the frame was manufactured. Also, the Cyclone front derailleur may be OEM. Recently there was a case of a 1982 Competizione with Cyclone derailleurs, where both date codes matched closely with the fork date date code and serial number, suggesting that early Competizione were Cyclone equipped.

Here is some more proof that Sun Tour Cyclone M-II came OEM on these at some point. Competizione on Ebay right now