Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How do I make my vintage road bike more comfortable to ride?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 04:51 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts

My vintage Lotus Unique is a beautiful bike and I love riding it but it isn't near as comfortable as my
Specialized Sirrus. There are 2 things I believe make the Sirrus more comfortable to ride. #1 is the tires
The tires on the Lotus are supposed to be 1 1/8" but in actuality measure 24 m.m. wide and they are
mounted to a rim that is 18.7 m.m. wide. The Sirrus has tires marked 28 m.m. wide but are actually
26 m.m. mounted on rims that are 25 m.m. wide. The other difference is in the seats of the 2 bikes.
While they are approximately the same size the original seat on the lotus is much harder. My
question is, would changing to a wider tire and a little softer seat make a big difference in the
comfort of the Lotus? Thanks Bob
Old 07-09-18, 05:33 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Frame tubing and geometry play a role in riding comfort. Just out of curiosity, what type of steel are the frames made from and what are the wheel base measurements?
Old 07-09-18, 06:06 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
You could try swapping the seats for a day. I notice the difference between my bikes I ride at 90 psi, and the one I ride at 80. I would say more of a feel, then true comfort regarding the tire pressure, some days I like to feel that high speed vibration; some days I like a little smoother. Usually it's re-experiencing the feel of the bike I haven't ridden more recently that I like the best.
Old 07-09-18, 06:09 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Put as wide a tire on as you can manage. Preferably Compass. They make gumwalls, so it will look right too.
Old 07-09-18, 06:17 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
My vintage Lotus Unique is a beautiful bike....The tires on the Lotus are supposed to be 1 1/8" but in actuality measure 24 m.m. wide and they are.... the seats of the 2 bikes.
While they are approximately the same size the original seat on the lotus is much harder..... .thanks Bob
I love me a Lotus! Nicely made bike! Those ultra skinny (1 1/8') 27" tires.... are hard to find in any variety of style. You might want to try other wheels (27x1 1/4, and 700) to see what you can fit in the frame. Modern 700x25 tires (made for comfort, not racing) should make for a sweeter ride.

The saddle most comfortable to YOU.... is the one that best fits your sit bones. The odds of finding that best-fit saddle on some used bike.... aren't great. Take the time to find a saddle style and brand that is comfy for YOU.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 07-11-18 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 06:44 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Overall fit of the frame is important as well. How do the bikes compare seattube/toptube/stem?
Old 07-09-18, 07:01 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Originally Posted by branko_76
Frame tubing and geometry play a role in riding comfort. Just out of curiosity, what type of steel are the frames made from and what are the wheel base measurements?
The Lotus frame is double butted Mangaloy with a wheelbase of 40 inches. The Sirrus frame is aluminum with a wheelbase of 39"
Old 07-09-18, 07:03 PM
robertj298 

Originally Posted by thinktubes
Overall fit of the frame is important as well. How do the bikes compare seattube/toptube/stem?
I think the overall fit of each bike is about the same.The Lotus has a stiffer ride and harder seat.
Old 07-09-18, 07:05 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
The Lotus frame is double butted Mangaloy with a wheelbase of 40 inches. The Sirrus frame is aluminum with a wheelbase of 39"
That's interesting. Assuming all other things to be close to equal, I would have thought the Lotus to provide a more comfortable ride.
Old 07-09-18, 07:09 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I added a Selle Anatomica X2 saddle to a vintage Schwinn Peloton I recently restored. This saddle made a huge difference for me in long ride comfort level.
FWIW...

Old 07-09-18, 07:11 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
RobertJ, can you describe the discomfort at all? What hurts? "not as comfortable" is rather vague.

One thing to do is to match the saddle height, setback, and tilt between the two bikes, and the handlebar height (same number of cm between the saddle top and the bar top. Essentially, match the positions of the contact points of the two frames.

If they begin to feel the same, you know the concerns are due to fitting. Otherwise, the discomforts are due to tubing, tires, and general frame geometry and weight distrubution.
Old 07-09-18, 07:17 PM
robertj298 

Originally Posted by Road Fan
RobertJ, can you describe the discomfort at all? What hurts? "not as comfortable" is rather vague.

One thing to do is to match the saddle height, setback, and tilt between the two bikes, and the handlebar height (same number of cm between the saddle top and the bar top. Essentially, match the positions of the contact points of the two frames.

If they begin to feel the same, you know the concerns are due to fitting. Otherwise, the discomforts are due to tubing, tires, and general frame geometry and weight distrubution.
It is mostly my rear end. I believe the stiffer ride and harder seat contributes to that. How much I do not know.
Old 07-09-18, 07:27 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Well, the shape or width of the saddle could be speaking their piece, as well. Did you try swapping the two saddles to see if they still feel the same?

And I do believe the fit of the bikes to your body is important to comfort.

Could you say if your discomfort is in the sit-bones versus in the soft tissues in front of them?
Old 07-09-18, 07:30 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
It is mostly my rear end. I believe the stiffer ride and harder seat contributes to that. How much I do not know.
Seats make a huge difference. Even ones that look exactly the same can feel different because they have different kinds of padding built in. I had that experience with two saddles by the same manufacturer but one was too a bit too soft and the other was great. They were different levels of the same model. You should give it a try.
Old 07-09-18, 07:39 PM
robertj298 

Originally Posted by beicster
Seats make a huge difference. Even ones that look exactly the same can feel different because they have different kinds of padding built in. I had that experience with two saddles by the same manufacturer but one was too a bit too soft and the other was great. They were different levels of the same model. You should give it a try.
I'm wondering how much tire width contributes to comfort?
Old 07-09-18, 08:01 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
I'm wondering how much tire width contributes to comfort?
I like wide tires. I tend to put the widest tire I can fit on my bikes. But, I can ride a lot longer on a bike with skinny tires and a comfortable seat than I can on a bike with fat tires and an uncomfortable seat.
Old 07-09-18, 08:32 PM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Tire width/pressure is a pretty big deal for comfort, but I would invest in a more comfortable saddle first given what you've said here.

+1 on swapping the saddle from the more comfortable bike.
Old 07-09-18, 11:16 PM
ddeand 

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I have a modern cyclocross aluminum frame bike (Cannondale CAADX) that feels great and a 1985 Gazelle Champion Mondale steel frame. They both weigh about the same and the geometry feel very much the same. The CX bike has 35mm wide tires on it and the Gazelle has 25mm tires, yet they ride very similarly. They main thing is they each have the same saddle. It took me a long time to find the right saddle for my butt, and when I found it, I put the same one on all three of my bike (including my mountain bike). I believe that once you find the saddle that works for you, replicate that feeling on all your bikes. And don’t forget to adjust the saddle fire and aft as well as tilting it - that’s extremely important. Also, the brand and construction of the tires makes a difference. To me higher TPI tires are smoother and more comfortable. Good luck finding the perfect feel for your bikes.
Old 07-09-18, 11:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I doubt that tires alone will help much with saddle pressure soreness.

For me, getting accustomed to my '89 Ironman a year ago was an incremental process. I hadn't been on a drop bar road bike of any kind in more than 30 years. I'd been riding hybrids for a couple of years before last year. But I was also still recovering from old neck and back injuries.

The first step was getting my body back in shape. The hybrids didn't cause much stress. The road bike was more demanding.

I did swap tires after a month, from cheap but durable Vittoria Zaffiros to Schwalbe One V-Guards. Big difference in comfort and handling.

Lots of little adjustments to saddle height and fore/aft position, stem height, handlebar/brake lever angle, etc. As my body adapted I'd tweak things again.

After 6-7 months, I was ready for some more significant changes: clipless pedals, firmer and narrower saddle (my sit bones are pretty narrow), and finally a shorter stem which made a huge difference in neck comfort.

Now it feels about right. For now. Subject to change as my body changes -- hopefully that means improves rather than deteriorates.

Biggest difference in comfort? A test ride on a recent model used Specialized Tarmac SL4 last weekend. Wow. I hate to admit it, but even aside from the whole carbon fiber whizbang stuff, the newer road bike handlebar and hood design is much more ergonomically friendly. That was the single biggest difference I noted. The second thing was the frame stiffness -- no perceptible flex, so pedaling felt more efficient.

On the other hand, the Centurion Ironman is more comfortable on rough roads, chipseal, etc. That frame and fork have a nice compromise between stiffness and flex for a variety of real world conditions.

But now I'm seriously thinking about redoing the Ironman's handlebar and switching to brifters or, at least, more ergonomically friendly hoods if there is such a thing for this type of bike. Those skinny little low angle hooks just don't compare with the newer design.
Old 07-10-18, 12:12 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
My vintage Lotus Unique is a beautiful bike and I love riding it but it isn't near as comfortable as my
Specialized Sirrus. There are 2 things I believe make the Sirrus more comfortable to ride. #1 is the tires
The tires on the Lotus are supposed to be 1 1/8" but in actuality measure 24 m.m. wide and they are
mounted to a rim that is 18.7 m.m. wide. The Sirrus has tires marked 28 m.m. wide but are actually
26 m.m. mounted on rims that are 25 m.m. wide. The other difference is in the seats of the 2 bikes.
While they are approximately the same size the original seat on the lotus is much harder. My
question is, would changing to a wider tire and a little softer seat make a big difference in the
Bob, if the Lotus has 1-1/8 tires then I assume your bike has 27” wheels. An easy upgrade would be to put some 27x1-1/4” Continental Ultrasport tires on there. 1-1/4”=31.75mm. Run them less than rock hard and they should be quite comfortable.

As far as saddles are concerned: could you share with us what kind of saddle is on there now? Also, could you tell us a little about you as a rider? What distance rides will you be doing? How many hills? What is your current fitness and what are your fitness or cycling goals? How you answer allows us armchair coaches to be of more assistance to you.

one important bit of cycling wisdom I have learned over the years involves “contact points on the bike” - your butt, your hands and your feet. Your butt is just 1/3 of this triad. Good handlebar tape, good gloves, and conducive “cockpit” (bars, stem of correct width, stem length and drops that you can make effective use of in addition to comfortable hoods) - these will optimize the hand part of the triad.

2nd - optimize the “feet” part of the triad. Even though your bike is “vintage”, I would suggest running modern clipless pedals if you are not already - this makes a HUGE difference in efficiency and comfort. You can run mountain (SPD) or road pedals (Shimano/Look/Time/Speedplay are all good) - your choice. When your butt gets sore alternate your pressure points like a yogi on your bike. Stand on your pedals with the cranks at 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock and coast, clamping your saddle between your thighs but not sitting on it. Then sit down. Utilize your rigid shoes/clipless pedals to their fullest by using all your gears through changes in terrain and wind. Pedal lightly, and do drills where you practice pulling up as opposed to mashing. This makes you hamstring dominant when needed.

Last part of the triad is the saddle. You say yours is “hard”. We really do need more info here. A picture would help. Soft saddles are rarely the solution for longer rides, saddles that fit properly are. Everybody has their favorite and they generally stick with what works for them. I ride a Selle Italia Turbomatic Team. It is both hard (dense padding) and somewhat soft (elastomers between the shell and saddle rails mute road bumps somewhat). A microadjusting seat post is really a necessary upgrade to fine tune just the right amount of upward (or slight downward) tilt. Playing around with leg extension by raising the saddle higher in very small increments as your fitness improves can extract more power out of your stroke and increase comfort - a double win if this applies to you. Yoga or stretching to get more flat can relieve pressure on the butt because you are rotating your pelvis forward and no longer sitting so much as perched on the saddle. I’m 56, have been 265 pounds and had back surgery but I have found this more racer type setup is more comfortbable, not less.

Lastly, To me Lotus bikes are more classic and a bit dated usually in how the bike shop fitted them. Often the frames were too big. You might find that the critical frame dimensions are much different than your modern steed. I’d suggest you take some notes, using a metric measuring tape of your modern bike’s top tube length (virtual), headtube length, saddle height, set back, etc... and compare to the lotus. You might find (for example) that you need a “zero setback” seatpost to push the saddle forward a bit to replicate your golden measurement from your modern reference bike. The same goes for the bars and stem. The ones on your Lotus may just be wrong for your personal needs.

I’ll be curious to hear more details from you as you seek to make your Lotus comfortable for you.

Last edited by masi61; 07-10-18 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-10-18, 06:20 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Maybe just reduce tire pressure until you settle on which new tire and how you get there. There is little choice in the market and fewer good choices in the old 27" size. The suggestion above for a Conti tire is as good as I could do in 27" but those tires are just rocks compared to what I ride. To get selection and quality you almost have to go to 700c rims. Which means quite a bit of money and time. Tires do make a huge difference. Even if you have the wrong saddle and it feels like a ball peen hammer on your backside a softer tire is like someone with less arm swinging that hammer.

Swap the Sirrus saddle that seems to work. You have the saddle on hand so try it. By all rights the Lotus should be a better ride than the Sirrus. There is always the old chestnut - put more weight on the pedals and you won't notice the saddle.
Old 07-11-18, 02:31 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
"Do this, do that". Try this, try that"....

Assuming that all of the obvious variables like frame size, tire size and tire pressure and all those other issues have been addressed then look at the saddle.

An amazing number of cyclists have never understood the mysteries of saddle adjustments!

Some saddles will never be comfortable for the owner's riding style and requirements.

For example many novice riders think that a cushy saddle with 3"+ of foam or gel is ideal. Unfortunately after about 5 miles the rider sinks down into the tush cush and they become uncomfortable because of inappropriate pressure to sensitive areas.

Find a saddle that is close to a riders requirements and then start adjusting it until the position becomes comfortable: saddle height, front to rear positioning and nose angle are easy to adjust.

Riders should understand that there are only 2 small area of their derrière that pressure is acceptable: the "sits points" which are high (or low ) points on the pelvic bones. The areas are not well enervated (not many nerves) and the flesh over those points gets tough after a short amount of time (or should). The points are usually wider in women than in men.

If (when) that doesn't solve the problem start looking at other saddles.

Eddy Merckx adjusting his saddle on the fly. He injured his pelvis in a crash in 1969 and experienced pain while riding during the rest of his career. He was continuously adjusting or changing saddles.

I'm not Eddy but I find that even a minor adjustment of 1/8" in saddle height 1°- 2°in nose angle can make a difference in comfort for me. It changes depending on how much riding I'm doing.

When my saddle is properly adjusted my weight is distributed between my bottom, my legs and my hands. It feels like it's not there!

verktyg retro grouch

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 07-11-18 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-11-18, 02:30 PM
palincss

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
You could swap tires and saddles and see for yourself.
Old 07-11-18, 06:25 PM
robertj298 

Originally Posted by masi61

Bob, if the Lotus has 1-1/8 tires then I assume your bike has 27” wheels. An easy upgrade would be to put some 27x1-1/4” Continental Ultrasport tires on there. 1-1/4”=31.75mm. Run them less than rock hard and they should be quite comfortable.

As far as saddles are concerned: could you share with us what kind of saddle is on there now? Also, could you tell us a little about you as a rider? What distance rides will you be doing? How many hills? What is your current fitness and what are your fitness or cycling goals? How you answer allows us armchair coaches to be of more assistance to you.

one important bit of cycling wisdom I have learned over the years involves “contact points on the bike” - your butt, your hands and your feet. Your butt is just 1/3 of this triad. Good handlebar tape, good gloves, and conducive “cockpit” (bars, stem of correct width, stem length and drops that you can make effective use of in addition to comfortable hoods) - these will optimize the hand part of the triad.

2nd - optimize the “feet” part of the triad. Even though your bike is “vintage”, I would suggest running modern clipless pedals if you are not already - this makes a HUGE difference in efficiency and comfort. You can run mountain (SPD) or road pedals (Shimano/Look/Time/Speedplay are all good) - your choice. When your butt gets sore alternate your pressure points like a yogi on your bike. Stand on your pedals with the cranks at 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock and coast, clamping your saddle between your thighs but not sitting on it. Then sit down. Utilize your rigid shoes/clipless pedals to their fullest by using all your gears through changes in terrain and wind. Pedal lightly, and do drills where you practice pulling up as opposed to mashing. This makes you hamstring dominant when needed.

Last part of the triad is the saddle. You say yours is “hard”. We really do need more info here. A picture would help. Soft saddles are rarely the solution for longer rides, saddles that fit properly are. Everybody has their favorite and they generally stick with what works for them. I ride a Selle Italia Turbomatic Team. It is both hard (dense padding) and somewhat soft (elastomers between the shell and saddle rails mute road bumps somewhat). A microadjusting seat post is really a necessary upgrade to fine tune just the right amount of upward (or slight downward) tilt. Playing around with leg extension by raising the saddle higher in very small increments as your fitness improves can extract more power out of your stroke and increase comfort - a double win if this applies to you. Yoga or stretching to get more flat can relieve pressure on the butt because you are rotating your pelvis forward and no longer sitting so much as perched on the saddle. I’m 56, have been 265 pounds and had back surgery but I have found this more racer type setup is more comfortbable, not less.

Lastly, To me Lotus bikes are more classic and a bit dated usually in how the bike shop fitted them. Often the frames were too big. You might find that the critical frame dimensions are much different than your modern steed. I’d suggest you take some notes, using a metric measuring tape of your modern bike’s top tube length (virtual), headtube length, saddle height, set back, etc... and compare to the lotus. You might find (for example) that you need a “zero setback” seatpost to push the saddle forward a bit to replicate your golden measurement from your modern reference bike. The same goes for the bars and stem. The ones on your Lotus may just be wrong for your personal needs.

I’ll be curious to hear more details from you as you seek to make your Lotus comfortable for you.
Ok I took some advice and switched the seats from the specialized sirrus to the Lotus and road a coup[le miles. The ride seemed more comfortable for the short distance
I'll try a longer ride tomorrow. I think you are right about the pedals. I took the clips off the pedals when I first got it and they are pretty narrow. I find myself re positioning my feet quite a bit while using them.
Here are some photos of the 2 seats. Both seem to be original. While the more comfortable specialized seat is softer but not overly soft. The Lotus seat has very little give and almost feels like hard plastic.

[img]https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikeforums.net-vbulletin/1500x2000/20180711_192754_resized_812640639e4ae70de506ad6e1500b538a01b2d5d.jpg
Old 07-11-18, 06:31 PM
robertj298 

Here are the 2 together

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.