Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Origami Wasp!

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Origami Wasp!

Old 08-03-18, 08:01 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
The question (going back at least a year) is--seeing that even the company president and owner changed to a bigger chainring--why it is geared so low out of the box.
Because it's a "last mile" bike intended for casual rider-commuters on a budget. The huge chainring would be polarizing to new riders and raise the price.
Old 08-03-18, 08:09 PM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Because it's a "last mile" bike intended for casual rider-commuters on a budget. The huge chainring would be polarizing to new riders and raise the price.
If I can buy any size chaining from china for the same price why would it increase the price of this bike by any significant amount? Also where is your evidence that it would be polarizing? What do you base that on? Isnt it just as valid to say "pick any other bike part" is polarizing ?
Old 08-03-18, 08:40 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

It's based on I've been following the bike market for decades and I happen to know that itty bitty bikes with huge chainrings look weird to casual riders who just want to pedal to the train stop. They're not looking for weird or fast or a greasy chain sitting way up high to concern them. There's a million enthusiast bikes out there we can ride, the Wasp is just a cheap little folder. Modify to your heart's content if you want to, but you're not the market Pinigis is aiming at.
Old 08-03-18, 09:57 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
no one is arguing for a 61T out of the box. You hang your response on something not asserted. Erecting the Straw Man so you can knock it down.

Simply a chainring in the lower/mid 50Ts providing more than gear-inches above the 40s. Yeah, cuz 52T chainrings are so much more expensive than the stock one.

Evidently what is, in fact, polarizing is the bike's sub-optima stockl gearing. Just on this thread alone we have two people reaching a for a larger.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-03-18 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-03-18, 10:05 PM
Joe Remi

no one is arguing for a 61T out of the box. You hang your response on something not asserted. Erecting the Straw Man so you can knock it down.

Simply a chainring in the lower 50Ts providing more than gear-inches above the 40s. Yeah, cuz 52T chainrings are so much more expensive than the stock one.

Evidently what is in fact polarizing is the bike's sub-optima stockl gearing. Just on this thread alone we have two people reaching a for a larger ring.
You asked why not higher gearing in response to a conversation about a 61t chainring, so I answered that question for you. The bike is geared lowed because that's what the market expects. Since you all are so certain of the ease and cheapness of doing the swap, BUY THE BIKE AND A BIGGER CHAINRING. I swear, you bizarre folding bike trolls will argue about ANYTHING.
Old 08-03-18, 10:24 PM
Joe Remi

That's it, I've had enough. This little corner of the internet has become overrun by antagonistic trolls who treat a folding bike forum like Trump treats the press. There's some weird campaign going on here to intimidate people who just want to talk about their bikes, and it's a colossal waste of time. Jur was right to leave, I shall hop on my Brompton and join him. Goodbye.
Old 08-03-18, 10:49 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

That's it, I've had enough. This little corner of the internet has become overrun by antagonistic trolls who treat a folding bike forum like Trump treats the press. There's some weird campaign going on here to intimidate people who just want to talk about their bikes, and it's a colossal waste of time. Jur was right to leave, I shall hop on my Brompton and join him. Goodbye.
Saved for posterity.
Old 08-03-18, 10:59 PM
Abu Mahendra

Getting back to the earlier issue...

...and to put my concern in perspective, the equivalent of a 48T chainring on a 305 wheel, the stock set-up on the Wasp, would be roughly a 36T ring on a 406-wheel bike (or a 42T on a 349er, or a 41T on a 355er). To make matters worse, the Wasp's cogset's smallest sproket is only 14T. Double-whammy. To spec a 406er with a 36T chainring (and 14T smallest sproket) at any price point twould be unusual, and sub-optimal if the bike is to serve a general purpose. Ditto for the Wasp.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-04-18 at 04:14 AM.
Old 08-04-18, 01:31 AM
keke

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8 and Mezzo D9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Hi Joe, I don't think you should leave.
It leaves the forum poorer for your fount of knowledge.

I've just come back to bikeforums after a long hiatus (life) and my gosh, it's gotten rather unpleasant. Folks arguing ad nauseam about stuff that doesn't really matter.

Let's be calm and enjoy the bikes.

Last edited by keke; 08-04-18 at 02:16 AM. Reason: grammar: font v fount
Old 08-04-18, 06:03 AM
GTA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
Nice practical bike, for 200 USD.
Old 08-04-18, 09:16 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
The question (going back at least a year) is--seeing that even the company president and owner changed to a bigger chainring--why it is geared so low out of the box.
out of the box, it’s a good commuter bike, as we wanted it to be. The large chainring was just an experiment to increase the bike’s top end speed.
Old 08-04-18, 11:05 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 586 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis

out of the box, it’s a good commuter bike, as we wanted it to be. The large chainring was just an experiment to increase the bike’s top end speed.
I like the bike either way,...

Stop the ridiculous arguing in my thread,...I'm tired of the constant bickering.
Old 08-04-18, 11:20 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by tds101
I like the bike either way,...

Stop the ridiculous arguing in my thread,...I'm tired of the constant bickering.
I don't mean to appear argumentative, I am just trying to answer questions and provide any feedback that I can. I very happy to know that you like the bike, and I wish you many happy miles.
Old 08-04-18, 11:23 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I don't mean to appear argumentative, I am just trying to answer questions and provide any feedback that I can. I very happy to know that you like the bike, and I wish you many happy miles.
Oops!!! Not you,...I meant the other people who constantly disrupt EVERY DAMN THREAD WITH THEIR BS!!!
So sorry,...
Old 08-04-18, 12:13 PM
Joe Remi

Oops!!! Not you,...I meant the other people who constantly disrupt EVERY DAMN THREAD WITH THEIR BS!!!
So sorry,...
I'm over it. Every thread gets polluted with a lunatic insisting on beating some drum he brought up months ago, and will literally chase people through several threads to prove his stupid point. Now he seems to have attracted friends who use the same bizarre confrontational style over folding bikes. FOLDING BIKES. The moderators refuse to police it so screw this. See ya at Thor's folder forum.
Old 08-04-18, 01:52 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I'm over it. Every thread gets polluted with a lunatic insisting on beating some drum he brought up months ago, and will literally chase people through several threads to prove his stupid point. Now he seems to have attracted friends who use the same bizarre confrontational style over folding bikes. FOLDING BIKES. The moderators refuse to police it so screw this. See ya at Thor's folder forum.
This place will sorely miss you,...I know I definitely will.
Old 08-04-18, 05:12 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bye.
Old 08-04-18, 05:13 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bye.
You BOTH need to cut the $#!+
Old 08-06-18, 09:59 AM
Pinigis 

this is the Wasp with a 61t chainring.
Oops! I checked the bike again, and this one has a 58T chainring. I am not sure what I did with the 61T.
Old 08-06-18, 11:40 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Oops! I checked the bike again, and this one has a 58T chainring. I am not sure what I did with the 61T.
​​​​​​Dear lawdy!!! The 60t is gonna be huge on my bike,...LOL!!! I guess I'm also going to need a longer chain.
Old 08-06-18, 02:36 PM
Pinigis 

​​​​​​Dear lawdy!!! The 60t is gonna be huge on my bike,...LOL!!! I guess I'm also going to need a longer chain.
Yes, I added about 6 links to my chain when I put this one on, so you may need to add 6 or 7.
Old 08-07-18, 04:08 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Yes, I added about 6 links to my chain when I put this one on, so you may need to add 6 or 7.
Thanks. I'll probably have to visit my LBS to get the correct links. All I have is single speed chain,... definitely not the correct size.
Old 08-10-18, 04:47 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I have the new 60t chainring, and it's definitely quite a bit bigger. I'm going to find a new chain, then install everything. I'll post a pic after I do the job.
Old 08-13-18, 09:35 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Update: I was told that a 60t chainring would fit in my Wasp, and it doesn't. It rubs the frame on at least 3 gears. I'm now stuck with a 60t, 110bcd chainring. I'm pissed!
Old 08-13-18, 10:43 AM
Pinigis 

Update: I was told that a 60t chainring would fit in my Wasp, and it doesn't. It rubs the frame on at least 3 gears. I'm now stuck with a 60t, 110bcd chainring. I'm pissed!
Crap! I apologize, I thought that I had a 61 on mine. Let me see what I can do from my end.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.