Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Threadless Headset for C&V Person

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-18, 10:18 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts

Can someone tell me about threadless headsets - why they were adopted over threaded headsets, why people have a big stack of spacers above the top cup instead of trimming the steerer tube, etc.

I just need a quick primer or a link to a web site.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 10-17-18 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 10:36 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
The threadless total setup including the stem is lighter and stiffer than a threaded quill, plus is easier to adjust length and bar height. So that's why they're used.

As far as why so many bad looking setups? To me, people being sold a wrong size bike, because everyone needs to buy the frame size they would have if they were a racer But it may also be that many frames only come in a few sizes, so you have to make it fit somehow.
Old 10-17-18, 11:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
The driving force is money (faster assembly time). Plus all quill stems made became, if not obsolete, useless for new bikes when 1 1/8" steerers came about. Many people leave their steerers long because they are either lazy or afraid to make the cut, they are unsure what length they want or value having vertical adjust-ability (a plus of the old quill stems - properly grease, changing height takes about two minutes)

Some of us consider the proper height of our handlebars a moving target. I vary mine for different rides and different fitness; something I have been doing for 40 years.

Ben
Old 10-18-18, 03:25 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The driving force is money (faster assembly time). Plus all quill stems made became, if not obsolete, useless for new bikes when 1 1/8" steerers came about. Many people leave their steerers long because they are either lazy or afraid to make the cut, they are unsure what length they want or value having vertical adjust-ability (a plus of the old quill stems - properly grease, changing height takes about two minutes)

Some of us consider the proper height of our handlebars a moving target. I vary mine for different rides and different fitness; something I have been doing for 40 years.

Ben
Moving target--a perfect description of leaving adjustability in a fork! Bravo!
Old 10-18-18, 04:44 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
In short, it is a better engineering solution for the steering system. Aesthetics are a different issue, but if you are tslking functionality the threadless system is a natural evolution:

-Lighter
-Quill stems tend to seize in steerer tubes if not greased regularly. No seizing issues with threadless
-Stem position and headset bearing tension adjustments are quicker and only require an allen key. No headset wrenches
-Locknut loosens commonly on threaded headsets, whereas the star nut and bolt that hold bearing tension on a threadless system don't generally come out of adjustment
-In a threaded system, fork and head tube and headset lengths and stack height dimensions must all match to fit, making fork or headset swaps difficult sometimes. A threadless fork steerer just needs to be long enough.
-No fork threads to get damaged on a threadless system
Old 10-18-18, 04:50 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Also, for anybody who says the above are minor or fringe issues, if you leave the bubble of capable and obsessed C&V enthusiasts and work as a mechanic doing service in a bike shop you will see the above issues almost daily.
Old 10-18-18, 04:53 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Some of us consider the proper height of our handlebars a moving target.
This.
Old 10-18-18, 05:00 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I understand the advantages of the threadless steerer but I do enjoy the extra flex in a quill stem. Makes an old guy just a little bit more comfy.
Old 10-18-18, 06:01 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
While lighter weight and a stiffer steering assembly are definite benefits, the biggest benefit is that the setting is locked by tightening the stem, which does not affect bearing pre-load, unlike a headest with a threaded locknut. This eliminates trial and error, facilitating the process for novices and increasing profits at an LBS.

Also, the adjustments are accomplished with one small, light and inexpensive tool that can carried in a tyre sock or saddle bag in the rare event that on-road adjustment is required.

Most threadless headsets are also 1-1/8" size, so the larger diameter increases the bearing contact area, which decreases loads and increases life expectancy.

Height adjustment is not that much more difficult than a traditional quill stem. Provided the stem is left uncut, the height range can be just as large and is accomplished by moving spacers between the top and bottom of the stem.

The only arguable drawback is aesthetics and the beefy appearance can be preferable in some applications such as ATBs, frames with oversize tubes and monocoque carbon fibre frames.
Old 10-19-18, 12:21 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Another way threadless saves money is that there are fewer fork sizes to make and stock.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-20-18, 03:36 PM
Bad Lag

Thanks to all. It was interesting for me to read.
Old 10-21-18, 09:30 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
The problem is most Backcountry mechanics do not know how to setup and adjust these headsets. Just about every one of these I have seen in Cambodia has been a basket case. Quill stems are just such an easy thing.
Old 10-21-18, 09:49 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
people have a big stack of spacers above the top cup instead of trimming the steerer tube, etc.
Um, those are opposites.

A big stack above the top cup means they want more height, and they sure don't want to trim the steerer tube.

With spacers, and the stem flipped "down," the look approximates a quill in some ways, and avoids what some consider an awkward look with the stem flipped "up."

Trimming the steerer tube is basically same principle, in reverse. They lower the steerer end to get the height they want. If the stem is flipped "down," this is often called "slammed." Some prefer that fit, some prefer that look. With the stem flipped "up," and the steerer trimmed down, the fit may be right, but many feel the look is awkward.

If it's all about fit, there is no wrong or right way. I have a friend who has spacers above and below the stem; he has no issues with the look at all.

If it's all about the look, there is no wrong or right way, despite what you may read on the Road forum.

There are many times when the low down "slammed" fit just does not work. Back problems, neck problems, fitness levels, body structure, etc, all combine to create a fit that a person needs, not always what some other person wants.

Fit your stem the way you want, tell the naysayers to go ride a bike.
Old 10-21-18, 11:50 AM
Bad Lag

"Road forum"??? What's that?

I only visit this forum. I once made the mistake of posting a question in the Mechanics Forum but will never do that again.