Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Please Refer Me to MTB Brake Levers

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-19, 12:00 AM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

I have an old touring bike with Tektro levers that work the best for me. I can get three (med to large) fingers in the blade comfortably and snugly. I have searched and am unable to find them anywhere. I will settle for another brand as long as the following criteria are met:

1) Black bar mounts with silver blades
2) 2.5 - 3 finger blade length
3) I DO NOT want to actually "see" the cable wire when I pull them. Seeing the metal end encapsulated in the lever is OK.

Thanks!!!
Old 02-09-19, 10:41 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Well if you can see the cable when you pull them they are not setup correctly or using the wrong brake levers with the brakes. There are V brakes levers and there are Canty Brake Levers, what are the brakes and what purpose are they for?
Old 02-10-19, 12:22 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Pics would help.
Old 02-10-19, 03:35 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Originally Posted by 2cam16
Pics would help.
I have mechanical discs- the seller said that they would work. There is enough pull. You can see that in these "BMX" type levers, there is an absence of the metal piece that typically extends from the lever, shrouding the actual cable.

T
Old 02-10-19, 05:10 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
I have a set of mechanicals on one of my bikes and the lever looks like the same reach as v-brake levers. Have you tried typing in "mechanical disc brake levers" ?
Old 02-10-19, 06:26 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by 2cam16
I have a set of mechanicals on one of my bikes and the lever looks like the same reach as v-brake levers. Have you tried typing in "mechanical disc brake levers" ?
I got them to work by using slightly thinner cable, but now I find the 2 finger lever is too short and braking is somewhat impeded by my Thumbies shift levers... I really would like to find those 2.5 -3 finger levers...
Old 02-12-19, 11:22 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by michaelm101
I got them to work by using slightly thinner cable, but now I find the 2 finger lever is too short and braking is somewhat impeded by my Thumbies shift levers... I really would like to find those 2.5 -3 finger levers...
I have to replace these levers. During a test ride, I have found them to have little stopping power compared to my other bike sporting similar mechanical discs...
Old 02-13-19, 02:32 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
What KIND of mechanical disc brakes are these? Road or MTB? They have different pull ratios.

Until that is clear, any suggestions on brake levers is a waste of time.

Also, what kind of brakes does you touring bike have that goes with these levers you like?
Old 02-13-19, 10:33 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by Kapusta
What KIND of mechanical disc brakes are these? Road or MTB? They have different pull ratios.

Until that is clear, any suggestions on brake levers is a waste of time.

Also, what kind of brakes does you touring bike have that goes with these levers you like?
TRP Spyre discs that came with road levers (the bike was billed as a bikepacker). My touring bike has V-Brakes. THX!
Old 02-14-19, 03:57 AM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
TRP Spyre discs that came with road levers!
These would work: https://www.tektro.com/products.php?p=207
Old 02-14-19, 07:15 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by cobba
Yep. Or these: https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-R5...d-Brake-Levers

You want levers that say they are for road brakes or cantilever brakes (which use pretty much the same pull). That is what the Spyres are designed for.

V-brake levers will not work well with the Spyres. TRP does make a version of the calipers you have (Spykes) that are made for v-brake levers.

One thing I would suggest if you are not already doing so is to use compressionless brake housing, such as the Jagwire Pro cables/housing.
Old 02-15-19, 07:36 PM
michaelm101

Yep. Or these: https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-R5...d-Brake-Levers

You want levers that say they are for road brakes or cantilever brakes (which use pretty much the same pull). That is what the Spyres are designed for.

V-brake levers will not work well with the Spyres. TRP does make a version of the calipers you have (Spykes) that are made for v-brake levers.

One thing I would suggest if you are not already doing so is to use compressionless brake housing, such as the Jagwire Pro cables/housing.
Ok. THX. Will these "road" flat bar levers use the skinny lead barrel end or the thick lead (mountain style) barrel end?
Old 02-15-19, 08:14 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Ok. THX. Will these "road" flat bar levers use the skinny lead barrel end or the thick lead (mountain style) barrel end?
Hmmm I put these exact levers on my wife's bike, but I can't remember off hand what brake end it uses. Brake cables usually come with both ends, so I usually don't think much about it. I'll check tomorrow.

Hey, not to make things more complicated (and expensive) but in my experience, if you are going with mechanical disc and flatbar levers, you will get better results using MTB calipers with MTB (v-brake) levers as opposed to road calipers with road flat bar levers. They reason is the cable pull of the MTB system is longer and it requires less tension on the cables, which means less flex in the cable housing which means less mushy brakes. Not that a road system can't work pretty well (especially with the Spyres), its just something I wanted to throw out there since you are trying to get better performance from your brakes.
Old 02-15-19, 08:39 PM
michaelm101

if you are going with mechanical disc and flatbar levers, you will get better results using MTB calipers with MTB (v-brake) levers as opposed to road calipers with road flat bar levers. They reason is the cable pull of the MTB system is longer and it requires less tension on the cables, which means less flex in the cable housing which means less mushy brakes. Not that a road system can't work pretty well (especially with the Spyres), its just something I wanted to throw out there since you are trying to get better performance from your brakes.
Thx. Good to know. I'll try it as is and see how it goes...
Old 02-24-19, 01:52 AM
michaelm101

I got the Tektro 1.0 cantilever levers and braking has never been worse in over 50 years of riding. Flexible handle, spongy and terrible stopping power...
Old 02-24-19, 07:43 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I got the Tektro 1.0 cantilever levers and braking has never been worse in over 50 years of riding. Flexible handle, spongy and terrible stopping power...
OK, so you have poor braking with two different sets of levers.

Maybe the problem is not the levers. To be honest, while some levers are nicer than others, I have never found the braking power to be all THAT different from one to another.

Are you sure these are Spyers and not Spykes?

Did the brakes work well with the levers the bike came with?

What kind of brake cables/housing are you using? You should be using compressionless housing.
Old 02-24-19, 10:28 AM
michaelm101

OK, so you have poor braking with two different sets of levers.

Maybe the problem is not the levers. To be honest, while some levers are nicer than others, I have never found the braking power to be all THAT different from one to another.

Are you sure these are Spyers and not Spykes?

Did the brakes work well with the levers the bike came with?

What kind of brake cables/housing are you using? You should be using compressionless housing.
They are Spyres that came stock with the bike, but it had TRP drop bar road levers. I used the original/new condition Jagwire compressionless cables with the first set of levers, the 319A, on butterfly bars. I threw out the bars and swapped a flat bar, and needed longer cable, so I bought standard Shimano cabling for the new Tektro 1.0s.

Last edited by michaelm101; 02-24-19 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-24-19, 07:43 PM
michaelm101

Hey, not to make things more complicated (and expensive) but in my experience, if you are going with mechanical disc and flatbar levers, you will get better results using MTB calipers with MTB (v-brake) levers as opposed to road calipers with road flat bar levers. They reason is the cable pull of the MTB system is longer and it requires less tension on the cables, which means less flex in the cable housing which means less mushy brakes. Not that a road system can't work pretty well (especially with the Spyres), its just something I wanted to throw out there since you are trying to get better performance from your brakes.
I think I may have to go this route. I simply can't deal with the mushiness and lack of control... Could you suggest a serviceable model AND will it fit right in w/o any other mods? Thx!
Old 02-24-19, 09:03 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I think I may have to go this route. I simply can't deal with the mushiness and lack of control... Could you suggest a serviceable model AND will it fit right in w/o any other mods? Thx!
Which calipers you use will depend somewhat on what sort of mounts your bike has. Are these I.S mount, post mount, or flat mount?
Old 02-24-19, 09:17 PM
michaelm101

Which calipers you use will depend somewhat on what sort of mounts your bike has. Are these I.S mount, post mount, or flat mount?
The front is mounted sideways on the back side of the fork, screw centers about 74mm apart. The rear is mounted on the top side of the chain stay, and screw centers about 74mm apart.

Boy, I'm really getting tired of all the different standards (or lack thereof) in bike stuff... Thx!

Last edited by michaelm101; 02-24-19 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-24-19, 09:29 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

The front is mounted sideways on the back side of the fork, screw centers about 75mm apart. The rear is mounted on the top side of the chain stay, and screw centers about 73mm apart.

Boy, I'm really getting tired of all the different standards (or lack thereof) in bike stuff... Thx!
I'm either going to need to see pics or have you look up what you've got.
Old 02-24-19, 09:48 PM
michaelm101

I'm either going to need to see pics or have you look up what you've got.
Here you go: