Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

AM Rides to beat the heat

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

AM Rides to beat the heat

Old 06-23-19, 05:33 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
94.7°F with index at 105°F an hour ago and hotter in next few days. Heading out around midnight +/- for a 100 +/- miler and expect temps to be low/mid 80's°F when I start. Should be a beautiful and quiet night.
Managed a departure time of 11:24pm Friday night at 84°F--index at 94°F and completed 100 miles back in front of my house just seconds before my 6hr time limit. Showered, kit change, bite to eat, chill for 2.5 hours and back out at 7:55am finishing with 127.91 miles as I hit the 10hr total time from start limit. SLOW going as the late morning temp was already approaching 90°F.

Originally Posted by Steeljag
In my area of Florida, I’ve been trying to be clicked in and pedaling by 0715 ! It’s still 80 degrees, and humidity very high, but I’m able to avoid the sun beating down for a couple hours !
SW FL in the Boca Grande area and got that same heat over here. Prefer getting out around midnight.
Old 06-23-19, 07:26 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
It's coming to New England and I'm looking forward to it. I love the stillness, the silence and the aloneness broken by the light of sunrise as I'm getting home and the world is waking up.
Old 06-29-19, 06:46 PM
aspalmat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I have never been a morning workout person, in fact, I always thought it was "ridiculous". However, in the last 6 months I've found myself doing it.

Several days a week I'm on my bike by 4:45 am. I can get an hour ride in, and still have time to shower, eat, and make the 1 hour commute to work, and get there by 8:00 am.

On the weekend, I sleep in, and start my ride between 6:00-7:00 am. I actually like the morning workout now. I can get my workout in and done, and still have all day to work, hang with the family etc.
Likes For aspalmat:
Old 08-09-19, 06:44 PM
Meanerspice

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Morning rides are the best though!
Old 08-10-19, 10:33 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Less traffic, less angry motorists, cool sea breezes, the sun cresting over a mountain and an increased chance of seeing wildlife are also some pleasant positives about early AM starts.
Old 08-10-19, 10:52 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Managed a departure time of 11:24pm Friday night at 84°F--index at 94°F and completed 100 miles back in front of my house just seconds before my 6hr time limit. Showered, kit change, bite to eat, chill for 2.5 hours and back out at 7:55am finishing with 127.91 miles as I hit the 10hr total time from start limit. SLOW going as the late morning temp was already approaching 90°F.

SW FL in the Boca Grande area and got that same heat over here. Prefer getting out around midnight.
If you know Florida like I do, it won't matter. I've set outside at 3:00 am generating zero energy output and still sweat bullets. The humidity is relentless, day and night. Yep, I was also a night rider. It is more comfortable when you're moving though.
Old 08-10-19, 12:24 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
If you know Florida like I do, it won't matter. I've set outside at 3:00 am generating zero energy output and still sweat bullets. The humidity is relentless, day and night. Yep, I was also a night rider. It is more comfortable when you're moving though.
7/26 was 33rd anniversary of family crossing the border into SW FL. Was also the 7th anniversary of a friend killed by a semi, --- Peter M. Cornell | ghost bikes --- so another 101 miles ridden in his honor but this time lots of them in the rain.

Got out 11:45pm last night for 55 miles and was sopped in 20 minutes. At least there was no sun beating down. NOT A FUN RIDE at all.
Old 08-10-19, 02:16 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
7/26 was 33rd anniversary of family crossing the border into SW FL. Was also the 7th anniversary of a friend killed by a semi, --- Peter M. Cornell | ghost bikes --- so another 101 miles ridden in his honor but this time lots of them in the rain.

Got out 11:45pm last night for 55 miles and was sopped in 20 minutes. At least there was no sun beating down. NOT A FUN RIDE at all.
That make a huge difference. That Florida sun will quote literally suck the life out of you. Anyway, I found night riding quite pleasant, although it is crucial to have sufficient lighting (which prompted me to invest in my niterider headlight and reflective garments).

The biggest problem with the quietness and lack of traffic is your tendency to relax and become complacent and take chance you normally would no during the traffic filled day.

The moment you begin to believe you're always the only one on the road at night is the time that car (or other cyclist) comes from out of nowhere and plows into your. Fortunately, that only did happen to me once -- and put the fear of God in me -- but I was able to stop well within the safety limits, it just startled me because it was a particularly quiet section and I wasn't expecting it.

There were times though when I was really the only one on the road and would could ride in the middle of the street sometimes for miles. I used the bike trail though for most of my extended riding.
Old 08-11-19, 12:31 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm not a morning person and will often ride at night to beat the heat. But I was up early Saturday and planned to join a group for a 50+ mile ride on a familiar route. I bailed after 35 miles and struggled to slog my way home, getting passed along the way by folks who are usually slower than I am.

The weather report didn't look bad, in the 80s before noon, but the humidity was high and it felt much hotter. I've ridden in 100+ degree midday heat and was okay, but those rides were dry. I drink and sweat a lot and couldn't seem to cool off through perspiration Saturday morning.

Reminds me, I need to take a bottle with plain water besides my usual electrolytes, so I can douse myself without getting sticky and smelling like fruit.
Old 08-13-19, 01:31 PM
McNamara

Bikes: Orbea Orca and a cheap steel frame road bike of indeterminate origin

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've always hated getting up early. Army field training made me hate the cold too, which I previously tolerated, and living through two Chicago winters solidified that dislike for me. Now I prefer warm temperatures. Texas mid-day summer heat is still uncomfortable, but I'll take it any day over waking up early or cold weather riding.

Today was a late-morning FTHR test at 95F. Five degrees hotter would have been a bit too much, but I'm pretty acclimated by this point. Now I get cold if the temp in my apartment drops below 75! My girlfriend is the opposite, she likes it cold and prefers the winter, so the thermostat is on a frequent see-saw depending on who's home.
Old 08-20-19, 07:49 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
That's one part of living in the South that I do not miss! I'll happily take a few months well below freezing in exchange for perfect summer days with daylight until 9PM.

Even in the upper Midwest, I notice people still ride early to "beat the heat". They also ride super early on purpose. 4:45 AM? Seriously?!
so you were the one that moved from south to north
Old 08-23-19, 01:19 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
so you were the one that moved from south to north
Yeah, though now I'm back south for a bit