Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anybody ride Motobecanes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-19, 09:01 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts

I have several Motobecane bicycles and they have been good bikes. I have modified all of them with aftermarket parts to customize them to what I like. I have no problems with them they have been as good as my Gary Fisher and Cannondale. I do 90% of the bicycle mechanics and haven’t notice any difference. With the exception of the paint which isn’t as good but over time all my bikes get scuffed up.
Old 07-13-19, 06:08 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
While not an "original" Motobecane, I do have a five-year-old Gran Premio that is my primary road bike. I did replace the wheels with a handbuilt set (the originals are still in service on another bike) and the usual fit and creature comforts like saddle and stem. I have absolutely zero complaints about this bike and it has served me well for several thousand miles.
Old 07-13-19, 08:41 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Assuming you mean newer ones sold by BD.
They have different levels and overall are good for the money.

My motobecane fatbike seems better than my Giant and Trek hybrids. Better frame welds, better components.

If you want better bikes, you need to move up to canyon or YT.

Depending on which model you save 30-50% compared to a comparable LBS bike.
Old 07-13-19, 08:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
I had a Motobecane 10 speed back in the '70s. It was a beautiful bike: lugged construction, pinstripes, etc. I traded it in on a Fuji 12 speed, which was obviously a better bike, since it had 20% more gears.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-13-19, 09:24 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I ride a late 1970s Motobecane. The original owner, a former Navy friend, purchased it in Toulon, France when his ship stopped there. He gave it to me when we were stationed together...around 1990. A few years ago I finally had it powder coated and reapplied some MB decals. I've made so many changes and upgrades over the years that the only original item now is only frame itself. But I love the bike nonetheless. -- Dan
Old 07-13-19, 09:29 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I have a 'Motobecane' (Bikes Direct) single speed, the so-called 'Track' model. The frame is steel, and it's heavy but solid; I use it for commuting, SS/FG road riding, and have beat it up pretty well over the past eight years. It's a fine bike, and is my go-to bike for when I want to lock up outside and do not mind getting some scratches.
Old 05-31-20, 03:00 PM
seoride85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Motobecanes

I ride a Motobecane Grand Record. I've owned it about 12-13 years, and put several thousand miles on it. I finally had to replace the front derailleur this summer, and obviously I've replaced tires, but that is the only thing I've had to do outside of routine maintenance.
Old 05-31-20, 06:29 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I know a guy who bought a Moto Titanium bike about 9 years ago, and other than going with a stiffer Enve 2.0 fork he's had no issues with it whatsoever.
Old 05-31-20, 07:23 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Funny how times change. Once upon a time Bikesdirect fighting words here. Had a few posts about my Motobecane Mirage deleted by a monitor because he owned a bike shop.
Now Motobecanes have been reviewed by Bicycling magazine and Bikesdirect ads show up on my screen before I log in.
So yes Motobecanes bikes are alright. Much better than when the first brought the name back from the Dead.

Old 05-31-20, 08:50 PM
seoride85

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ended up on this thread because I'm looking to buy a mountain bike, after only road biking or doing multi-use trails for a decade, and I'm looking at BD because I can buy twice the bike. I love my local bike shop, but I don't plan on buying more than one bike, so I want what I buy to last. I was going to go for another Motobecane, but they are all sold out until September, so it's looking like I'm going to go with a Gravity FSX 29. As far as I can tell, most people think it's a good bike for the price.
Likes For seoride85:
Old 05-31-20, 10:51 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts

Immortal force, ultegra, carbin frame/fork....sweet ride
Old 06-01-20, 09:26 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Two of my three bikes are BD Motobecane, a 2007 Fantom Cross and a 2019 Omni Strada Pro Disc gravel road bike. A lot of bike for the money, and whoever designs them knows what they're doing. 20,000 mi. on Fantom, now my road bike. My only issues were the Fantom came with a rear wheel that needed dished, and the Omni is heavier than I'd like, but it does have 36 spoke wheels and hydraulic disc brakes, so not surprising. My steel frame 1981 Raleigh still goes, but i only use it for indoor trainer. The Motobecanes are way more fun to ride, and the Omni has rack mounts, so my last excuse to ride the Raleigh is gone.
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 06-01-20, 10:02 AM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
I have a Bikes Direct Motobecane that I bought in 2000 or 2001 or so. It's their Sprintour. The main reason I bought it was because it was outfitted with a full Ultegra kit. Derailleurs, shifters, brakes, cranks, chainrings, cassette. It's light and smooth. And I find it to be a blast to ride. And back then it cost me all of $1,100. If i'm not mistaken, just the Ultegra components run close to that price. Frankly, if I were to buy another bike to add to the stable I'd get another Motobecane from BD, but this time it would be a Titanium frame with Ultegra.
Old 06-01-20, 10:28 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Motobecanes were common...

...during the bike boom of the 1970s. I rode a heavily upgraded Mirage Sport in the 1980s that wasn't a bad ride considering its humble tube set. Since, I've owned an '82 Jubile Sport (fabulously sporty ride) and a '77 Grand Jubile (lovely bike, uninspiring ride). In the modern Taiwanese and Chinese contract build versions branded by Bikes Direct, you'll find a wide range of bikes.

I ride one as my commuter - aluminum, disc brakes, 105 drive train, cyclocross wheels, endurance geometry - it's terrific for what it is. I have a Gran Premio something that is full 105, RS-11 wheelset, 520 tubing in a compact geometry - rides and fits well for a 21 pound road bike. No complaints, in fact it's a pretty fun ride for anytime that I want to push a bit faster. But it's not a 17lb bike on climbs, so there's that.

I built up a modern aluminum Mirage something-or-other scratch and dent from BikeIsland for my son in law. It needed a drive side crank and shifters (ST-A073), seatpost and saddle. I might've paid and put in $300 for that bike. We rode together yesterday, and he really loves it. Fits him perfectly and he doesn't expect much from a bike, so its' fine.

I've bought a couple of their hardtail aluminum MTBs (29er for me, 27.5 for my wife), and upgraded to decent air suspension forks. Okay bikes for XC, if you're not racing.

So, I wouldn't shy away from them. But if possible I'd buy from Bike Island and replace what's busted up or missing.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-01-20, 10:28 AM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
After a cycling crash in 2010 on my road bike (broken collar bone), I thought a wider tired, Mtb. would allow me to ease back into riding without all the jarring severity of skinny tired road bike. I didnt take it mountain biking, just road it on the road and bike paths. Since I didn't know anything about mountain bikes, I didn't want to spend a bundle, so I turned to Bikes Direct.

I eventuality settled on a Motorbecane Falcon pro, titanium frame mountain bike with XT components and Avid Juicy 7 disc brakes. It's been a great bike. The frame is beautifully assembled with velvet smooth fillets. I don't ride it a lot, but after 10 years, I don't think I've had to even adjust the derailleur cables. The Avids have given me a little trouble, but I attribute that mostly to not riding the bike enough to keep them ' loose.'

Really, no complaints about this Motobecane. Though aficionados and connoisseurs might look down their noses at them, I think they are a very good value.
Old 06-01-20, 10:32 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Originally Posted by Chad991

Immortal force, ultegra, carbin frame/fork....sweet ride
Maybe change the bar tape to a wine/claret color? That yellow splash isn't a fashion statement...
Old 06-01-20, 10:37 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Originally Posted by seoride85
I ended up on this thread because I'm looking to buy a mountain bike, after only road biking or doing multi-use trails for a decade, and I'm looking at BD because I can buy twice the bike. I love my local bike shop, but I don't plan on buying more than one bike, so I want what I buy to last. I was going to go for another Motobecane, but they are all sold out until September, so it's looking like I'm going to go with a Gravity FSX 29. As far as I can tell, most people think it's a good bike for the price.
It's not clear which one you mean, but generally the suspension components at that price point are sub-par performers. That's easy to correct if you shop eBay for discontinued new OEM components that are a few years old. Buy it, ride it, upgrade it when you can.

EDIT: Or, buy it and order a replacement fork at the same time. Swap forks and sell the original as a new take-off, recovering 25% of the cost of a the decent fork you bought...
Old 06-01-20, 10:50 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by seoride85
Bottom-of-the-barrel coil shocks that were released a decade ago, 9 speed, and AWFUL tektro mechanical brakes....

Save your money and buy a hard-tail from a reputable manufacturer.
Old 06-01-20, 11:37 AM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Maybe change the bar tape to a wine/claret color? That yellow splash isn't a fashion statement...
came that way from the guy I got it from...its ugly but I will change it when it wears out...I will let the weight weenie/fashion twerps worry bout those things...I ride it
Likes For Chad991:
Old 06-01-20, 12:02 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
BD "Motobecane" has nothing to do with 70s Motobecane, just to be super clear here. BD Motobecane are just Taiwanese catalog frames with a bunch of parts.

I have one of their older Ti frames and a 2016 fatbike from them. The Ti frame is likely the best deal. It's a rebadged ORA Engineering frame with nothing fancy neutral/race geometry, rim brakes, QR drop outs, nice looking welds and one of the worst looking forks ever made. I bought this as a frame and I like it in general as an all-purpose backup road bike.

The fatbike is more of a fat tired bikepacking rig than trail bike. It came with a super flexy Rockshox Bluto and old school 2x XT drivetrain but it's been reliable fun in the winter months here. I did have to swap out the absolutely garbage SRAM Guide RS brakes, but I don't blame BD for that..

Overall, these bikes are hardly cutting edge, but they use proven technology, they are reliable and they ride decently. I will say that most of them are absolute aesthetic train wrecks.
Old 06-01-20, 01:24 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
In my opinion, entry level bikes from Big names have reduced quality in the last 5 years. So why pay more for a name just so they can pay racers to promote their name to get you to buy more of their bikes. Waste of money!

I'd rather buy a bicycle for it's own value vs a bicycle with a "supposed" value in a name.
Old 06-01-20, 02:06 PM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
I bought a Motobecane LeChampion SL Ti a couple years ago. Nice solid well made Ti frame, comparable weight to other Ti frames, full Ultegra 8000 group set...for $1999!
I like the looks, it was the previous (2018) style and has a flat top tube, a little more classic look to it, compared to the current Moto Ti models which have a sloped top tube similar to many other current Ti brands.
All I changed were the wheel set, seat post, & saddle. Came with a solid, mid-range set of Mavic Ksyrium wheels, nothing really wrong with them, but I had a lighter set that I installed.

Last edited by AndrewJB; 06-26-20 at 01:43 PM.
Likes For AndrewJB:
Old 06-04-20, 08:45 AM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
I have a BD Motobecane. Yes, I realize they are made in Taiwan, not France. The only thing I changed was the saddle. The stock saddle started to crack on me and wasn't all that comfortable. Put a Specialized Phenom Expert on instead. I also have mountain bike pedals. Time ATAC Alium. I refuse to have two sets of shoes for the same purpose. I wear mountain bike shoes because I started riding a mountain bike first before adding a road bike to the repertoire. I don't care if roadie snobs look down at me for it. That's their problem, not mine.

Last edited by MntnMan62; 06-04-20 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-04-20, 01:08 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I have a Motobecane Omni Strada Comp with 105 components purchased from BikesDirect in early 2017. Great gravel bike for the money.
Old 06-04-20, 01:52 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
So far the MB CF bikcycle has been good. Only change thus far is the seat+post. Only issue I have is the crank arms are really close to the frame making the cadence sensor not clear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.