Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do I order brake pads for my Giant Cypress Bicycle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-19, 06:08 PM
vuduthmb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I just bought this Giant Cypress 7 speed bike 2-3 weeks ago. I like it a lot, but the front brake pad squeals loudly and is very noisy. The rims are clean, the mechanic at the LBS tried angling the pads inward, etc, but it's still very noisy and squeals. Of course the brake pads are not worn, but I want to try replacing the front brake pads. I've read online that it works well sometimes for that problem.
I'm trying to research brake pads available online, and I am wondering what I need to know to order brake pads for this bicycle. The Giant web site describes these brakes as being "alloy, direct pull." From what I've read I think most brake pads for cantilever brakes will fit. I will be riding in dry conditions on paved roads 99% of the time. I live in the Northern California Bay area, and weather conditions are very mild.
I just have a hunch that replacing the brake pads might solve the noisy squeal problem. I don't mind dropping a few bucks to find out.
Thank you, input is appreciated.
Old 07-14-19, 07:25 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Noisy brakes are very frustrating however since your completely new to this my advise is that you need an experienced mechanic to fit new brake pads for you anyway so keep discussing it with the bike store. Personally I replace all standard brake pads with Koolstop Salmon brake pads on any bike I own. While the Salmon pads are deemed to be wet weather pads they are perfectly good for all weather use. They do wear out a little faster than standard black pads yet in practice you would have to be riding 10,000 miles + per year and descending mountain ranges before the increased wear rate would be an issue. The softer pads do less damage to the rims and are generally quieter in operation.

If that doesn't fix it then the problem may be some poor machining tolerances in the manufacture of the bushings and general stiffness of the arms which is allowing for some vibrations.
Old 07-14-19, 10:24 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
I agree with the salmon pads recommended. Look at your pads and go to the Kool Stop web site and look for that pad. Write down the model# then look for it at either your local bicycle shop or online retailer. There are plenty of online videos on how to replace and adjust your pads.
Old 07-15-19, 06:09 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
I will third the recommendation for Kool Stop. They are all that I buy anymore. Get their mountain pads. For example:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Kool-Stop-...ound-MTN-Shoes

They are so easy to install because their tail is shaped so as to make toe-in automatic.

The above happens to be dual-compound, hence the two colors. The same pads can also be had in all salmon or all black.