Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Threading a Fork

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Threading a Fork

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 07:02 AM
kyledr
Destroyer of Worlds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Threading a Fork

Hi,

I have some mechanical ability, but am wondering how difficult it is to use a die to thread a fork, because I want to buy a fork that's too long and won't have any/enough threading once cut down. Also how hard is it to cut a fork down? It'd probably cost me like $20 or $30 to get it done, so I was thinking I'd just use the local public shop where it costs $10/hr to work and use their tools. This would require I do it myself though, and I just want to know if this is something a newbie can do. I read that it's a moderately difficult job, but I'm just looking for some more practical tips. Also, does it damage the headset when you cut the steerer down since you cut against it sort of?

Thanks,

Kyle
Old 01-09-07, 07:03 AM
capwater

Bikes: Giant TCR Comps, Cdale R5000, Klein Q-Pro, Litespeed Siena, Piasano 105, Redline Conquest Pro, Voodoo Bizango, Fuji Aloha

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't do it.
Old 01-09-07, 07:24 AM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
We charge about $40-50 to do this to a steel steerer. It is a huge PITA! It takes a large amount of physical effort, a very expensive tool, and a fair amount of time-and as an added bonus, if you screw it up, it's time for a new fork! I don't understand your concern about the headset. The fork is nowhere near the headset during the procedure. IOW, the fork is off the bike in a jig.

If you really want this done, find a shop with experience, and pay them what they ask. This is not a time to bargain-hunt.

Last edited by BikeWise1; 01-09-07 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-09-07, 07:33 AM
TheSlav
It's a moral imperative

Bikes: 2006 Redline Monocog 29, 2001 Jamis Durango (Mod SS), 2005 IBEX Aprisa custom build

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 to the 'pain in the ass'

i also looked into doing this lately while building up a dumpster fixie and i ended up just converting to an old threadless fork/headset i had laying around instead. if you really want to rethread though i would recommend taking it to a machine shop or some place that would do it more often than a bike shop would. bike shops dont do this much nowadays and are probably out of practice and its not an easy thing to do.
Old 01-09-07, 07:33 AM
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1!!!

I tried it at a shop which told me, "Yeah, we have a threading die around here somewhere." Not only did they botch the thread job, but messed up the fork crown royaly too.
Old 01-09-07, 08:44 AM
kyledr
Destroyer of Worlds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikewise1, I'm talking about when cutting off the fork to be the correct length for the headset. Blegh, finding the right fork is a pain. Barnett's manual only says it'd take under an hour... in fact I think it said about 30 mins.
Old 01-09-07, 08:50 AM
TheSlav
It's a moral imperative

Bikes: 2006 Redline Monocog 29, 2001 Jamis Durango (Mod SS), 2005 IBEX Aprisa custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cutting the fork is easy, hacksaw with a sharp blade and a saw guide should get you there...rethreading it is the horrible part.

also if you go through with this you will probably want to extend the threads down to where you need them and then cut the fork to the right size. continuing threads is way easier than starting new threads from scratch.
Old 01-09-07, 09:04 AM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kyledr
Bikewise1, I'm talking about when cutting off the fork to be the correct length for the headset. Blegh, finding the right fork is a pain. Barnett's manual only says it'd take under an hour... in fact I think it said about 30 mins.
That's a good estimate....if all goes well....for a mechanic who does it often....which is very uncommon. We do one or two a year! And it usually takes more than one mechanic. You need an assistant to brace the fork. It takes a lot of force, and someone has to hold the fork blade blades to keep it from rotating in the jig...

Cutting the steerer is the easy part, but it is better to do this after the fork is threaded. You should have some idea of where the threads need to end-shorter threaded section is better and stronger. Once the threads are cut, thread on the adjustable cone or cup, then add the spacers if any. Use a caliper and measure the inside of the locknut and make sure you cut the steerer about 2 mm shorter than your measurements indicate once it's all added up. Better to be a little long than too short.
Old 01-09-07, 09:10 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSlav
cutting the fork is easy, hacksaw with a sharp blade and a saw guide should get you there...rethreading it is the horrible part.

also if you go through with this you will probably want to extend the threads down to where you need them and then cut the fork to the right size. continuing threads is way easier than starting new threads from scratch.
I agree, continuing threads is not that bad at all.

If the shop has the die, go for it. Technique is pretty easy, use lots of cutting oil, go about 1/2 turn, back off a quarter turn, repeat endlessly. Use compressed air to blow it clean frequently as you go. Some elbow grease required, but 3-4 on a scale of 1-10 as far as mechanical difficulty goes.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 01-09-07, 10:35 AM
bluehair

Bikes: Lemond, Klein,Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rensho is correct. I did this to a hard to find 1" suspension fork for my Klein tourer, and it worked well. The hard part is taking it easy. Use lots of oil. Take a 1/4 turn forward then back up, then a 1/4 turn forward. Don't take off too much at a time as you will cut your threads right off. If you have a long distance to thread, that may be a problem as the diameter and thickness may vary as you go toward the fork, but threading an inch or so should be fine. Good luck.
Old 01-09-07, 12:09 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 52 Posts
Well, I guess I was lucky. I had a very nice threaded fork which was way too long so I had my LBS extend the threads further down an additional 2 inches or so on the steel steerer. They charged me $10. Then I chopped the steered tube down to size, myself.
Old 01-09-07, 01:39 PM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Fixer
Well, I guess I was lucky. I had a very nice threaded fork which was way too long so I had my LBS extend the threads further down an additional 2 inches or so on the steel steerer. They charged me $10. Then I chopped the steered tube down to size, myself.
It's a whole 'nuther ball game if threads already exist. Super easy to add more. It's the threading a plain steerer that's a royal PITA!
Old 01-09-07, 06:52 PM
kyledr
Destroyer of Worlds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet. I will contact the bike shop and see if they're cool with me doing this myself. One more question... is it even possible to cut a fork Italian thread anymore? I can't find such a die on Park's site, and the shop I'm referring to uses their tools. I know the difference is minute, like 5 degrees on the pitch (right?), but I read that you shouldn't go back and fourth between Italian and English thread, and some day I may want to go back to the original fork. Is it OK to just ignore this or am I asking for messing up the threads?

Last edited by kyledr; 01-09-07 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-09-07, 10:08 PM
Lurker1999

Bikes: Jamis Coda Sport '06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I have some mechanical ability, but am wondering how difficult it is to use a die to thread a fork, because I want to buy a fork that's too long and won't have any/enough threading once cut down. Also how hard is it to cut a fork down? It'd probably cost me like $20 or $30 to get it done, so I was thinking I'd just use the local public shop where it costs $10/hr to work and use their tools. This would require I do it myself though, and I just want to know if this is something a newbie can do. I read that it's a moderately difficult job, but I'm just looking for some more practical tips. Also, does it damage the headset when you cut the steerer down since you cut against it sort of?

Thanks,

Kyle
Where are you located? I had a guy that's reasonably near here thread a fork for me that also was too long. All it really took was a good stand, preferably someone to hold the fork clamped in the stand, and then the threading tool, cutting die and some patience.. Then you just need a cutting guide and hacksaw and you're all set. The guy did it for me in about 15 minutes.
Old 01-09-07, 10:22 PM
kyledr
Destroyer of Worlds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Minneapolis
Old 01-09-07, 10:23 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWise1
It's a whole 'nuther ball game if threads already exist. Super easy to add more. It's the threading a plain steerer that's a royal PITA!
Yes, I understand that. I thought the OP's steerer was threaded, and like me, was simply looking to add more threading.
Old 01-10-07, 08:33 AM
tellyho
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My solution would be to convert to threadless. A new headset and stem may very well be cheaper than getting this done, and no chance of screwing it up.
Old 01-10-07, 09:01 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Sweet. I will contact the bike shop and see if they're cool with me doing this myself. One more question... is it even possible to cut a fork Italian thread anymore? I can't find such a die on Park's site, and the shop I'm referring to uses their tools. I know the difference is minute, like 5 degrees on the pitch (right?), but I read that you shouldn't go back and fourth between Italian and English thread, and some day I may want to go back to the original fork. Is it OK to just ignore this or am I asking for messing up the threads?
"
Stuff comes up on ebay periodically if you search under "VAR" or "Park Tool" or "Campagnolo" or "Bicycle Research". Old bike shops close down all the time and unload their inventory, something like an Italian thread 1" fork die is going to be rare, but not unheard of to track one down in the wild. BTW: Park Tool makes steerer tube cutting gauges for threaded or unthreaded forks for about $30 which are realily available. Using one of these would assure a square cut on the steerer tube and the threaded version has the added feature of acting as a thread chaser to remove burrs as you remove it so that the freshly cut end allows the headset adjustable cup to thread on easily.
Old 01-27-07, 11:34 PM
Old Breadbutt
"not enough rage"

Bikes: Old ****ed up Cannondale roadie, peice o **** Gitane as a beater, and I use my Nishiki for bike camping

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the info in this thread. I found an old steel fork on the street that needs to be cut and threaded to fit a frame I have that needs a fork... my LBS want's $40-50 and the fork isn't worth anywhere near that. I'm gonna go buy a die tomorrow and give this a shot. if I ruin the fork, no great loss. if I get it right, I'll be able to throw it on a Cinelli frame that came with an under sized fork...
Old 01-28-07, 12:00 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Breadbutt
thanks for the info in this thread. I found an old steel fork on the street that needs to be cut and threaded to fit a frame I have that needs a fork... my LBS want's $40-50 and the fork isn't worth anywhere near that. I'm gonna go buy a die tomorrow and give this a shot. if I ruin the fork, no great loss. if I get it right, I'll be able to throw it on a Cinelli frame that came with an under sized fork...
Adding new threads to an existing thread is not a bad job, but as others have said, lots of cutting fluid, advance 1/4 turn, back 1/2 to break and clear the chips. Another thing to consider when doing this job is that the tube you are threading is relatively thin material and heats up quickly. This causes expansion which can cause new threads to be cut deeper than ideal. I like to do this job when I have something else on the go. This way, I can cut one revolution of the die at a time and then go work at something else for 10 minutes. This prevents too much heat being generated and results in much cleaner, more consistent threads.
Dan Burkhart
www.boomerbicycle.ca
Old 01-28-07, 02:25 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
I dunno. $40-$50 will get you an entirely new fork. One with correct everything. I picked up surplus columbus steel forks at my LBS for $20.
Old 01-28-07, 05:09 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Breadbutt
... my LBS want's $40-50 and the fork isn't worth anywhere near that. I'm gonna go buy a die tomorrow and give this a shot.
$40-50 isn't going to be nearly enough money to buy that die that you'll probably only use once.
Old 01-28-07, 09:22 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
$40-50 isn't going to be nearly enough money to buy that die that you'll probably only use once.
Boy, is RG right. The die alone costs $30 - $200 and the die stock (handle) will add at least another $100.

Look here for details: https://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi

To summarize: If the fork you have is already threaded and you just want to extend the threads further down AND you can find a shop with the proper die that knows how to use it, the job is not too bad. Cutting the fork to length is quite simple after the threading is complete.

If the fork is not already threaded do not even think of trying to thread it from scratch.
Old 01-28-07, 10:18 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
How much too long is it?

Before I agreed to let a shop extend the threads on my fork I'd want to ask how many they've done. My experience has been that the more confident they are about doing it the fewer they've actually done. If you need more than a couple of threads added I'd be wanting at least $50.00 to do the job. If it doesn't already have threads that I can start on I'm simply not touching it.
Old 01-28-07, 09:58 PM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Minneapolis
First of all if you have the correct tools, threading a fork is not difficult. I am amazed at all the comments telling you not to do it. However if you check out Park Tools site the die and tool is like $200 so is it worth it to do it yourself? Extending the current threads and then cutting is much easier as stated. 1 inch is 24 threads per inch, pretty sure, and you can not find a die even at places like Grangers.

Second, since your in a big city there may be a shop that lets you do your own work. We have one in Pittsburgh and I even cut and threaded a 1 1/8 inch fork for a project. Short of that, find a shop that still works on older bikes. They most likely will know what they are doing and have the proper tools. Good luck.

I have done this 4 times and it is not difficult.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.