Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

General purpose gearing

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

General purpose gearing

Old 08-26-07, 09:46 AM
soloflyfisher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
General purpose gearing

I'm thinking about building a general-purpose/commuting cycle starting with a gunnar crosshairs or lemond poprad frame. I'm now looking at gearing options. Ideally, I'd like something like a 46-36-24 crankset with an 11-27 cassette, preferably in 10 speed to get relatively close gear spacing over this wide range (24 to 113 gear inches). Does anyone know if any manufacturer makes a drivetrain like this? If not, can anyone suggest something with a similar gear range?

(PS: The closest I've found is the campy 53-42-30 triple with a 13 to 29 cassette--this gives a gear range of 28 to 110)
Old 08-26-07, 10:25 AM
CHenry

Bikes: A bunch

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by soloflyfisher
I'm thinking about building a general-purpose/commuting cycle starting with a gunnar crosshairs or lemond poprad frame. I'm now looking at gearing options. Ideally, I'd like something like a 46-36-24 crankset with an 11-27 cassette, preferably in 10 speed to get relatively close gear spacing over this wide range (24 to 113 gear inches). Does anyone know if any manufacturer makes a drivetrain like this? If not, can anyone suggest something with a similar gear range?

(PS: The closest I've found is the campy 53-42-30 triple with a 13 to 29 cassette--this gives a gear range of 28 to 110)
You can get that front ring set with a Sugino XD touring crankset, the Shimano LX touring crankset or with a TA Specialties crank. RaceFace Turbine and Deus cranks also have that range.

The Shimano is dirt cheap at Nashbar right now. $39.
Old 08-26-07, 10:30 AM
CHenry

Bikes: A bunch

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=CHenry;5147455]You can get that front ring set with a Sugino XD touring crankset, the Shimano LX touring crankset or with a TA Specialties crank. RaceFace Turbine and Deus cranks also have that range.

The Shimano is dirt cheap at Nashbar right now. $39.

You will get the same range in nine speed as with ten, and have the advantage of using MTB cassettes if you decide to go for a lower low range. Nine speed road parts are cheaper and the nine speed chains are stronger.
Old 08-26-07, 10:47 AM
soloflyfisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the tip. That Shimano is a great deal. I like 46/11 better than 48/12 or 48/11 for a top gear, but I think I can live with 48/12 and I like the option to get even lower gears on the bottom end.
Old 08-26-07, 03:11 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Make sure the Sugino is 9/10 spd. compatable, as some are 8 only and can cause shifting issues if used with a 9/10 speed chain.

SB
Old 08-26-07, 03:59 PM
ehsiung

Bikes: Jamis Aurora 2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Jamis Aurora came with a 52/42/30 crankset and 11-32 cassette, which gives me 25 - 126 gear inches. Pretty close to what you're looking for, though with a 9 spd.