Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Sticky thread for batteries?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Sticky thread for batteries?

Old 09-12-09, 04:00 AM
LIFEPO4
Electric Bike Maker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lifepo4 Batteries

Hi,

LIFEPO4 Batteries are considered the best for Electric vehicles.

Why, because the are considered green and are ROHS compliant, no harmful pollutants, and best of all do not explode. They have a greater life expectancy as well over other batteries. They are made of cells ranging from 1000mah to 100ah or more and are being sought after by automakers for future products. They are more expensive then lead acid and lithium batteries. You can tell a LIFEPO4 battery from a lithium battery by the cell voltage. Lithium is usually 3.7V and LIFEPO4 is 3.2V
I make a pack both 36V 10-20ahs and 48V 10-20ah cells using cells produced for the US. I use 3.2V 10ah circular cells with plastic holders and terminal bars that screw onto the cells, along with a battery management circuit board, wrapped in shrink tube and encased in a battery bag holder that is secured onto a bike above the rear tire on the carrier rack.
These batteries can be recharged more than 1000 times before they reach an 80% life so count on your battery lasting a couple of years before replacing it. Some batteries packs are UL certified and some of the cells are UL component listed. Whether they are made in China or in other parts of the world, the cells are made using German machinery that pour the battery compound onto sheet which is cut according to the battery size, then rolled up and inserted into the battery case.

If you can get one of these batteries, new for 400-500$ its worth it. I have seen them sell for around 600$.
If anyone needs any help choosing a battery battery pack or understanding it, check out LIFEPO4 batteries in Wikapedia or send me an email dalpos2000@yahoo.com

Regards,

Mark
Old 09-12-09, 08:57 AM
brandrr

Bikes: Currier SOON TO BE MOD.ED

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ya but for that price Ill have to wait and see how the 450watt moves me, b4 I invest that much into my bike, because I was told the projects are like $700, but now that I ordered my bike and now See the better stuff cost this much I would of kinda maybe ordered a 50cc scooter,
The 50CC scooter puts out 1.9kw ~ 2.2kW or 1~3hp depending on the brand name.
but it uses gas oill , and the yada yada..

but I did want a E-Bike, but was just not told Really how much these things cost with the good parts.
Old 09-12-09, 09:41 AM
Zephyr Boy
California dreaming...

Bikes: a cheapie-GreenLine-BC-706 Men Shimano Tourney 7-Speed (Flat Black) Beach Cruiser-no stickers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"and the yada yada" must mean Auto Insurance, yearly Auto Registration fees, learning and testing for a motorcycle license, mandatory helmet law (most places), and no shortcuts using bike paths.
Old 09-12-09, 10:24 AM
brandrr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a UM-200cc and had a ninja 250cc , and moms 50cc scooter, which she drives like crazy...
I got my licence, for the motorcycles, but in FL, there is no need for bike ins.
Unless you have a loan on it. or you want it.
my Registration cost about $40 bucks a year.

so after i see how the 24v @ 450 watts is moving me, Ill start saving for these EPIC batterys.
I just cant beleave the cost on these battery is so EPIC HIGH!! My Monster battery I used for my Subwoofers was $200 bucks and now its forsale @ $50 bucks online... But after one year the price went back to normal,

Now a new question,

I have my Currier 24V bike @ stock 450Watts, now If I use a Bigger battery Meaning more amps that will Cook the Controler, Right?

and since the motor only Draws power the motor should also be Fine Right?
Old 09-12-09, 11:26 AM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are more discussions on ezip and izip mods on other boards. You'd need a new controller to handle 36V. Most who've modified their Currie bikes to 36V have created air holes in the motor to handle the extra heat generated. If you don't add air holes, well you may fry your motor, especially if you live where summertime temps are high. Here's a link to a couple of posts, there are many others so you might want to google.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...3249&start=105

https://www.ecoforumz.com/electric-bi...-complete.html

Good luck.
Old 09-12-09, 11:48 AM
brandrr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
O thank you,,
I just saw the
24 Volt 600 Watt MAC® Hi-Torque Brushless Electric Bicycle Motor With Built In Speed Controller.
that was even a good price, around $280,

Now If I put that motor on my bike Ill just be running it with smaller battery's So that will only Run the motor slower right? or will that damage the motor?
Old 09-12-09, 12:12 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it's for your Currie e-bike, I'm not sure that motor will bolt to your existing plate without modifications. If you're wanting to run your bike faster and use a bigger battery, it would probably be cheaper to just replace your controller (starting with the 2008 models, Currie modified the controller that they use so that riders can't modify their systems to 36V without changing out the controller), throttle and motor to 36V. I would think that you could swap out those components for less than the cost of that motor. Electric Scooter Parts has the 36V 450W motor for around $100, their 36V controllers are around $60 and a 36V throttle would be under $30. If you're prepared to replace your motor, you could try the 36V modification without ventilating, but be prepared to replace the motor when it burns out. I'd also suggest that you search and read other forums--look for 36V upgrade to ezip. That way you won't have to re-invent the wheel. Good luck.
Old 09-12-09, 12:42 PM
brandrr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Power wise, is there a little difference or is it worth to just save and go to the 48V system,
a few other fourms are like once you got the main thing the Bike then just go to 48V.

has anyone really went from 24V to 32V or
anyone went from 24V to 48V,

if anyone has please let me know.
Old 09-13-09, 07:22 PM
brandrr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
24 Volt @ 900Watts...

the web site also shows,

As Currie Technologies is the parent company for all Schwinn, Mongoose, e-Zip, & IZIP electric scooter products, this motor has great adaptability. It will work with all the Currie OEM and Currie compatible parts.

So I can also go up to 40 Amp's.. @ 24 Volt,

I know either way that Im making a Custom motor mount, for the motor, But Is it better to go with the 48volt @1000watts or 24volt, @ 900watts

So is there not much difference with a 100 watts once a motor is up that high.
Old 10-07-09, 11:59 PM
tpreitzel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is anyone familiar with Power Sonic batteries, specifically the PSH-12100F2? I can buy these batteries locally at Batteries Plus for about the same cost as shipping discounted items bought on-line. I'm thinking of purchasing another set of 12v batteries to replace the original IBT BT10-12 batteries for my E-Zip. I'll attempt to use my Renaissance charger on my older set of IBTs in the near future, but I still want a new replacement set so I'm looking at Power Sonic. B&B BP10-12's are another option.

I bought one of these batteries today, Oct 8th 2009, for about $40. The PSH-12100F2 is an AGM VRLA which should help minimize gasing even further when I eventually use my Renaissance charger on it. I'll buy another soon for a set of two. I'm in the process of adapting my Renaissance charger to 4 IBT10-12 batteries in parallel for charging 40 amps of SLA batteries. The load should be fine and keep heating to a minimum.

Last edited by tpreitzel; 10-08-09 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-10-09, 04:24 AM
tpreitzel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tpreitzel

Have I extended their life? Will I reclaim some distance? I don't know, because I haven't repackaged them yet. I hope so.
PS: Both of these battery sets are more than 1 year old ...
The effort to extend the life of the stock IBT batteries with the Renaissance charger was an apparent failure. Although, I managed to recharge two (1 set) of the 1 year old batteries to 13.2v unloaded with the Renaissance charger, the loaded performance wasn't significantly greater then before the recharging attempt. The recharged IBT batteries had a somewhat longer run time under load, but not appreciably so the main problem was likely depleted electrolyte from recharging over the course of the year. I might tear the batteries apart to check.
Of the other two batteries, the R. charger recharged one to 12.7v unloaded and the other one to 11v unloaded.

I will make one possibly significant change though. My new Power Sonic batteries will be immediately recharged with the R. charger BEFORE placing them in the RMB case for the first time, because I have no way of determining how long these batteries have been sitting in a semi-discharged state. This effort should help extend the life of the SLA batteries to their fullest.

Last edited by tpreitzel; 10-28-09 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-13-09, 12:43 AM
tpreitzel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another contender in the electric storage system wars using SLA - EFFPower:

Looks readily adaptable to all forms of electric transport including bicycles with mass production by 2010:

https://www.effpower.com/

We'll see. Firefly and EFFPower are two major players in advanced SLA technology and both are readily adaptable to bicycles if suitable batteries are produced. We'll likely see a whole array of competing electrolytes and electrodes in the near future with LA remaining dominant. Personally, I'm sticking with LA until a major breakthrough occurs with another chemistry, e.g. Ni-Li, with multiple electrolytes.

Last edited by tpreitzel; 10-13-09 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-19-09, 03:12 AM
LIFEPO4
Electric Bike Maker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LIFEPO4 Batteries

Hey,

I just built a battery here 48V, 10AH using the 10amp LIFEPO4 Battery cells and can be recharged up to 2,000 times. Cost me $450, including the case, quick connects and PCM circut board. It weighs about 13lbs or 6.5kg. I mounted this on an electric bike MTB carbon fiber frame with a 48V hub motor, 500watt - 589RPM. All of which I made. The frame is carbon fiber so it is super light weight and fast. The motor controller I used is an 8 bit NEC MPU which has regenerative braking power, pedal assist and three electronic speed programmed. This means that in the third electronic gear, I can get 115% of the motor power, so I can get insane speeds up to 50MPH. Because of this I am using WINZip disc brakes and shimano drive components.

The LIFEPO4 Battery cell is somewhat new technology and is a green product I believe.

If anyone wants anymore info on this please send me a message dalpos2000 at Yahoo dot com
Old 01-26-10, 02:45 AM
tpreitzel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon Nanotube FLA batteries with allegedly vastly higher energy density over LA/LC FLA batteries. Will we ever see this technological advance for LA batteries adapted to SLA formats for the bicycle? Probably.

https://www.next-alternative.com/technology.html#battery

Last edited by tpreitzel; 10-29-10 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-16-10, 01:25 PM
morph999 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After having used my e-bike for a year now, I just can't see anyone using anything less than about a 15 AH battery. By the time I get out of my neighborhood and to where I want to go, I've already used 5 AH of battery. Then I use about 3 AH enjoying the ride and sight seeing, then it's time to get back which uses another 4 - 5 AH. I just don't see how anyone can be happy with a 10 AH or less battery.

BTW, I'm talking about Lithium batteries. For SLA, it would be even more. I light sight seeing though. I like enjoying a good bike ride. Everything is perfect on a bike ride for me. On a bike ride, there are no problems, no financial problems, no personal problems, just me and the bike and the road.
Old 04-23-10, 06:50 PM
CowtownPeddler

Bikes: Old Norco frame in conversion process

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.rdmag.com/News/2010/03/Ge...-under-stress/

I rest my case....
Old 04-23-10, 06:52 PM
CowtownPeddler

Bikes: Old Norco frame in conversion process

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.nexeon.co.uk/technology/patent-information/

Hmmm....
Old 07-26-10, 10:21 PM
mrdarklight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't consider anything less than a LifePO4 battery for the Amped Bikes kits... I installed SLA batteries in mine, and he seemed to imply that you had to buy the LifePO4 batteries with his kits. If you use something else, he seems to not want to help you out if anything goes wrong with your kit (whether it has to do with batteries or not). Oh well, lesson learned.

Last edited by mrdarklight; 07-28-10 at 10:37 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-27-10, 06:07 PM
Eclu Lardbut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Firefly Energy has gone bust https://www.pjstar.com/business/x99748000/Firefly-files-for-bankruptcy
Pity about that, I was hoping they'd be successful.
Old 10-07-10, 12:32 PM
tpreitzel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eclu Lardbut
Firefly Energy has gone bust https://www.pjstar.com/business/x99748000/Firefly-files-for-bankruptcy
Pity about that, I was hoping they'd be successful.
Me too, but somebody else will pick-up with their technological advance in lead-acid chemistry.
Old 10-07-10, 12:35 PM
tpreitzel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Manufacturing of Revolt Technologies' Zinc-Air batteries will occur in Oregon. Zinc-Air is much more energy dense than Li-Ion and should also be much cheaper in time. These batteries will be made for e-bikes as well as other electronic devices.

https://www.examiner.com/sustainable-...eries-portland

Last edited by tpreitzel; 10-20-10 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-28-10, 04:50 AM
tpreitzel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An older chemistry based on Lithium Metal Polymer and updated by DBM Energy (excellent performance from the current generation of batteries):

"The yellow and purple Audi A2 car took around seven hours to complete the 600-kilometre (372-mile) stretch, even had the heating on.

Driver Mirko Hannemann, the chief of DBM Energy, drove the distance at 90 km/h (55 miles per hour) on average, had the heat on and was able to whisk around a few more miles in the city. When the A2 electric finished, it still had 18% of the initial electric charge in the battery.

It has a lithium-metal-polymer battery. DBM Energy, the company that built the battery and electric motors into the Audi A2, said the battery would function for 500,000 kilometres.

A representative of the car said the Audi still featured all the usual creature comforts such as power steering, air-conditioning and even heated seats as well, so it was not like the car was especially made for long distance record attempts

The battery, based on what DBM Energy calls the KOLIBRI AlphaPolymer Technology, comes with 97 percent efficiency and can be charged at virtually every socket. Plugged into a high-voltage direct-current source, the battery can be fully loaded within 6 minutes

What's more important, the technology which made the trip possible is available today.

German Economics Minister Rainer Bruederle, who subsidized the drive, said it showed electric cars are not utopian but really work"

https://green.autoblog.com/2010/10/27...ance-record-3/

Last edited by tpreitzel; 10-28-10 at 05:00 AM.
Old 10-29-10, 01:57 AM
tpreitzel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I thought might happen, FireFly has risen from the ashes of bankruptcy on Oct, 1st, 2010:

https://www.fireflyenergy.com/

Although I have no problem with the ICE at all, the people need alternatives such as electrically powered transportation, but personal electric vehicles demand improved battery technology as demonstrated by companies such as FireFly.

Last edited by tpreitzel; 10-29-10 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-04-10, 07:02 AM
mikek3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question
I have been using a 10Ah 37V Lithium Ion (LiMnO) battery with an EEZE rear hub motor for 2 years now. It has about 60 cycles on it and about 1500 kms. My commute is about 30 kms round trip. I don't charge my battery at work only when I get back home. I have found that all of a sudden on the return trip I am being limited to about 200 watts or 5 amps at full throttle. The weather is getting colder around -1 Celcius. I have a cycle analyst so I can monitor the battery fairly well. Is the battery starting to wear down. Shouldn't this battery be lasting longer than this?
Old 11-25-10, 11:53 AM
mikek3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold weather battery

Well I answered my own question. The cold does seem to affect the battery. If you see my last post the battery was being throttled by the BMS I think. During the last week the weather turned warmer and I had no problems. Yesterday the temperature dropped below -3 C and the same problem occurred. It he battery is left outside all day at work in these temperatures it seems to start cutting back to half power on the way home. I guess the solution will be to take it in to my office during the day when it is this cold. Or stop biking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.