Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Poor cantilever braking

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Poor cantilever braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 08:17 AM
bailout

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poor cantilever braking

I have a tour bike with tektro oryx cantilever brakes and brifter levers. The braking is very weak. There is some initial 'bite' which slows the bike but then when I increase pull on the levers the braking force effect doesn't increase as I would expect and it needs a lot of force to do so. The bike is second hand. The brake blocks are worn but still plenty of life left in them and they are adjusted to hit the rims nicely. Block are Jagwire.

I have replaced the cables but little improvement. From looking at Sheldon's site I think that the link cables are too long and this means that the mechanical advantage is low. At rest the link cable angle is less than 90 degrees and obviously under braking this reduces even further. see pic

Hence I am thinking of getting shorter link wires and seeing if that improves the braking. Is this the right thing to try or does anyone havee any other suggestions? I have also seen these tektro 'power hanger' gizmos that replace the link wire. They claim to increase power and don't need frame cable stops which would sort out a n awkward cable routing I have round the seatpost. However, I can't find any other mention of them on the net and I am thinking there must be some reason they didn't become commonplace. I also need to look and see if they could fit around my mudguards.

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
link wire.jpg (61.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-16-08, 08:45 AM
cyclodan

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Use a regular straddle wire and yoke

get rid of the fixed length Shimano unit and now you have a "tunable" set up.
Go with new pads too.
Old 09-16-08, 10:07 AM
bikeman715

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i agree with the regular straddle wire and the yoke,the unit not make to use the shimano unit.
Old 09-16-08, 04:20 PM
bailout

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may have a yoke from an old centrepull brake so I will try that and lower the yoke and get the pads adjusted as close to the rims as possible and see if it helps.

thanks